Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Alternative
RE: CPAP Alternative
Various versions of positive airway pressure are really the only thing that has been scientifically shown to treat apnea fully. The other stuff sometimes works. Placebos work, too. Only *PAP has been shown to reliably bring apneas down to a normal level.

Yes, it can be a struggle, it can he hard to get used to and it doesn't always work miracles right away. But surely a person in the kind of profession you seem to have chosen would have the determination to get through these obstacles. Heck I did it and I'm a 72 year old fat diabetic in lousy aerobic condition.

But I want to stick around a few more years to burden the younger generation, so I did it. I'm sure you can too.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
There is a German device called alaxo-stent which is small and discrete, needs no power and makes no noise. It is not available in the US. It would take considerable determination on the part of the apneac to use it due to the method of insertion into airway nightly, but it is actually quite effective according to its own studies (and I can't see how it wouldnt be if inserted correctly) I am sure that the FDA considers it dangerous though, and many(most?) would not be able to insert it due to gag reflex.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Um, no. Nope. No way. Not happening.

(I looked it up, saw one pic, and am still shuddering)
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
same here... but there is no denying it is an effective device when inserted properly and therein lies the rub!
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply
I think I could do this (you don't know unless you try). It looks like those geek performers that shove strings in their nose and a string comes out of their mouth or eye, but I think reality is not that bad. Lots of members here inject drugs, this should be a piece of cake. Once in place it won't be a problem, but it probably is noticeable going in.

It sure does solve a lot of problems for people that want to camp, or who find the use of a CPAP uncomfortable in a setting like the guy going to police academy, basic training and many other things. How about truck drivers having this instead of a CPAP on a long-haul.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The problem with this device (the German one) and Provent is that there is no data to prove it was used. And truck drivers need that data. Users would also not know if it was working unless they used an oximeter every time and understood what the data meant.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes I bet that device going in is interesting to say the least. I have alot of sinus congestion generally not sure now I'd like that device haha. I appreciate the convo going on here lol.

I also do realize that a good oximeter reading does not necessarily mean no more sleep apnea.
But with good readings and my weight lose (I went down a next size atleadt) may have made is less severe. I should do another sleep study but it was not pleasant. Maybe I'll talk to my new doctor about a home one.

Ya I read more up in that provant and it really doesn't seem too promising , I just ordered more head gear for my air fit p10 and an ad came with it for the provant. that is what gave me the idea.

I did see some smaller machines that run in batteries and such they seem promising for short camping trips, my wallet says otherwise so far.

It's looking like best option is to man up and use the CPAP regardless of what others may say/do.

Sorry for the typos I typed this on my phone.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-27-2016, 09:56 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Dental appliances are an alternative to CPAP machines, but like Provent, they just don't work anywhere near as well as CPAP machines.

.......and they don't record data allowing you to closely track your therapy along with the possibility of causing unintended consequences such as TMD/TMJ
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 148 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 409 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Alternative Part? sambo42xa 1 399 08-27-2023, 10:17 AM
Last Post: sambo42xa
  [Equipment] DreamStation Alternative Replacement Option oneeyeopen 3 673 05-24-2023, 10:11 AM
Last Post: oneeyeopen
  [Equipment] Bad Arthritis, Dreamstation replacement alternative? chrysos 10 1,017 10-10-2022, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Heated humidifiers, CPAP vs ventilator; Nafion as alternative? runcyclexcski 8 954 11-06-2021, 05:14 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  BongoRx Alternative EPAP Treatment [recall thread split] btreger 4 1,043 10-13-2021, 05:31 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.