Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Anon...
CPAP Anon...
Hi - my name is 'David' and I am a mouth-breather....

I was fitted for CPAP at the end of June this year. At the consultation I found I could not tolerate a full face mask. It was comical - I had answered no to the question 'was I claustrophobic' then freaked out when the big Quattro was pushed on my face... The therapist accused me with 'You said you weren't claustrophobic' to which I replied ' Claustrophobic is being locked in a cupboard - that mask was an attempt to murder me'....

We then went to the Swift nasal pillows but I could not feel like I was getting enough air and I needed a super tight chinstrap to keep my gob shut. That clearly wasn't going to work... just ask any one that has tried to get me to shut my gob... Smile

Next we tried a Mirage Liberty Hybrid mask that was (for me anyway) the best of both worlds.

Over the next few weeks I noticed that air flow through my nostrils had improved and that I was spending some time breathing through my nose while going about my day.

That encouraged me to try nose breathing with the Liberty - and found that I could make it work for me so I deliberately practiced for about a month...

Last week I went back to the Clinic and hired a F&P Pilairo, a Swift, and a chinstrap. ($20 bucks the lot for a month - or until I get back to them (which might be a while since I am traveling for work).

I have been using the Pilairo for the last week and found excellent results WITHOUT a chinstrap My Average AHI has gone from 3.5 to 2.5 and the 95% pressure has dropped from 12.9 or thereabouts to 10.5. The leaks are within limits with some nights showing 0 unintentional leaks (based on deducting the flow value on the Pilairo spec sheet for my pressure from the SleepyHead reported figure).

Next week the Swift will get a run.

The reason for my post is to encourage people that, although their mileage might vary, there can be options to improve the experience if they take an observant approach to the way your breathing reacts to the initial treatment.

In my case the driver was that the Liberty got in my way....

Summary - after 58 years of breathing through my mouth I now breath through my nose - except after exertion like climbing the 70' radar tower at work today.

I will keep the Liberty for when I have blocked nose.

Hi - My name is David and I was a mouth breather...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP Anon...
BTW - I did not mean to disparage Al Anon... I was hoping to indicate what a difficult thing it was to change a lifetime habit.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Hi - my name is 'David' and I am a mouth-breather....

I think there's a 12-step program somewhere for mouth breathers.... Bigwink Too-funny

...good post, David. Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Moriarty, Thanks for the post, very interesting.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Lots of us think we are mouth breathers because of constant waking up gasping and choking with apnea so had to open our mouth to breathe otherwise we suffocate. I started out with full face mask and could not tolerate for long as it leaked like a sieve and the dry mouth.
The nose is not some ornament on the face ... It filter and humidify the air we breathe.
Its said if you can comfortably breath through your nose while sitting, than chances are you can breathe through your nose while sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
I had to buy a chin strap as I began mouth breathing during my sleep assessment with a cpap machine. Although I have only had my machine for two nights now, I haven't woken either morning with a dry mouth
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-19-2012, 03:21 PM)zonk Wrote: ...
Its said if you can comfortably breath through your nose while sitting, than chances are you can breathe through your nose while sleeping

Thanks zonk... I love your work on this forum.

I have never been able to breathe through my nose for more than a couple of minutes - even while sitting. That was one of the things my parents and teachers used t0 chip me about - that and sitting up straight... - and not picking my nose :grin:

The chinstrap thing is interesting because I don't think it would help me. When I have a leak (the air type Smile) it is because my tongue has moved in my mouth and the air flows back into my mouth allowing the pressure to puff my cheeks and blow my lips apart. That wakes me up.

The thing I am trying to work out now is why the data is showing that I had the mask off for 30 to 60 minutes in the middle of some nights. Not only do I not remember taking it off - I don't remember putting it back on either.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-21-2012, 07:33 AM)Moriarty Wrote: The thing I am trying to work out now is why the data is showing that I had the mask off for 30 to 60 minutes in the middle of some nights. Not only do I not remember taking it off - I don't remember putting it back on either.
Do you use auto on/off features
Maybe aliens paying a visit Too-funny

Post Reply Post Reply
Nice!
Now I know I am not the only one to have had the mask off for 30 to 60 minutes in the middle of some nights. Not only do I not remember taking it off - I don't remember putting it back on either.

This still might not be enough evidence to say "I am not Crazy"

If it was Alien's I hope they didn't do any other probing
Post Reply Post Reply
Aliens can be a problem...
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.