Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Apnea Help
Apnea Help
Hi there! I have been searching for help with my sleep apnea for a few years now and I came across this forum a couple of times so I thought I would give it a try. Not sure how much info you want but I will start from the beginning. I am 37 years old, overweight, have hypothyroidism, headaches and depression. I had my sleep test done 12/12/07. I had insurance at the time so a company (I don’t remember who?) came to my home and set up a CPAP for me. I only had this machine for approx. 6 months because the co-pay was too much. After this I went for a few years doing nothing for my sleep apnea. I got to the point my headaches were driving me crazy, I was so tired during the day, and my memory and concentration were gone! I found a used CPAP, which is the one I have now, bought it for $50 and looked up the manual and set up info online. I have the pressure set to what they called for back in 2007. I got 2 free masks (cover my nose and mouth) from a local Pharmacy and was using this "new used" machine for about 6 months. The problem I am having is during the middle of the night I feel like I am not getting enough air, I choke and cough and the masks leak so I pull it off while I am asleep! My headaches are horrible, I am barely functioning during the days and I am just lost as what I should do. I don’t have insurance so I don’t know where to go that will help me for a decent price. If you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Apnea Help
Is this machine data capable? Meaning can you view the data on some sort of screen on the machine? Knowing how well you are responding would really really help, especially for someone uninsured.

If the machine is not data capable, then my suggestion is looking for another that is. Consider the one you have now as an investment for a backup. Supplier #2 sells used and open box machines for decent prices.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

You want one that is data capable (meaning it records AHI, leak rate, etc).
Getting an autoPAP would be ideal but they can be more expensive. You can do what you need to do with a "straight" CPAP, it will just take longer and more patience.

Here's a good resource:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Once you have one that collects data, then you can determine if the current pressure is working for you or not. Right now, it may not be from the sounds of it. Needs change as time passes. We get older, fatter, slimmer, more/less stressed, etc. So the pressure that worked for you back in '07 probably is not what you need now. You could just raise the pressure by .5 and wait at least a week (preferably two) to see if you improve. If not, then increase by another .5. You want to take it slow and not make more than one change at a time.

Taking off the mask at night is common. I suggest you sit up with it on during the day. Wear it while reading or watching television. This helps you get used to the sensations and the like. It may help, it may not. Others have clipped the hose for their mask to the pillow so that when they take it off in their sleep, the noise stays right there and has a greater chance of waking them up.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi needgoodsleep,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
What Paula said.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Find out on line and learn how to adjust your machine and it's settings. Then slowly bump up the pressure and find the right number. Success is sometimes the difference between a 12 and 14 setting. If you wake up and are struggling, one of two things are happening. Leakage or the setting must be increased. Sometimes even after a great night sleep, awaken, lie there a let your body talk to you. You will often just get a sense that you are slightly fatigued from a night of not getting quite enough air.
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, you can find out here.
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Your health is too important to trust to what ever you can find on the internet!
Get professional help with your apnea. It may cost something up front but in the end
it will more that pay for itself.
Lee
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-01-2013, 09:37 AM)Sevensox Wrote: Your health is too important to trust to what ever you can find on the internet!
Get professional help with your apnea.

The above advice brought to you via "the Internet". BigwinkToo-funny

Okay, just kidding. But Lee is right - you probably need to get a medical professional involved in this situation - don't try to go it alone.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 616 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea GoodSleepHunting 0 1,007 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 22 3,399 08-02-2022, 05:26 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
  Apnea mystery: Cycles of normal, healthy sleep and apnea 'flare-up' periods lazysunday 9 1,585 12-17-2021, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Zackio
  Apnea statistics question, how tightly controlled is your apnea? happydreams 24 2,850 06-13-2021, 04:38 AM
Last Post: ICEMAN
  New to Sleep Apnea (central Apnea) cyipher 17 1,894 05-18-2021, 10:52 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Can large tonsils cause sleep apnea? Would removing them prevent sleep apnea? WWu777 4 1,529 12-12-2020, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.