Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Apnea event as falling asleep impedes CPAP
Apnea event as falling asleep impedes CPAP
Hello all. i wonder if any of you have this problem.

I have been using CPAP devices successfully for 25 years. Never missed a night.

A wonderful release.

But recently things have not gone so well.

Now i find it difficult to fall asleep. Just as i am drifting off a sort of snuffle , catch to my nose, snort , snore jerks me awake .

5 minutes later i am drifting off again and .........same thing.

Some nights now are very frustrating - i dont really sleep at all. Just doze , drift towards sleep, jerk , awake etc etc,

Has anyone else had this problem?

Any suggestions?

My pressures have been creeping up over the past month and are now at the 18-19 level. So the machine is running near to flat out. Im on a belated diet.

Any help gratefully received. I got so used to sleeping well - i thought this problem had gone away. Very frustrating to have it back.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Apnea event as falling asleep impedes CPAP
Go see your local ENT and maybe have a scan done of your nasal and sinus passages. oldman

BTW, Welcome
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
if your machine is set to 7-20 like it says in your profile and your constantly in the 18-19 range i'd suggest raising the minimum.

if i'm understanding your problem correctly this should help as i had a similar issue with pressure being to low to keep my airway open, it would quickly snap shut and was very disruptive.

Post Reply Post Reply
Download the free Sleepyhead software so that you can track your data. Agree that your start pressure is probably too low, but would be better to see why your pressure is rising.

How are your AHI numbers?
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Raise you min to around 9 or 10.
Should help your problem, lower your ahi, and bring your max pressure down as well.
My min set at 8 will have my max running at 18 due to machine response times.
My min set at 12 my max never goes over 14.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Cromwell,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy and fine tuning it to meet your needs.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for your welcome and suggestions.

Raising the minimum seems like a good step.

I have set it at 16 as i am very keen for a good night's sleep.

I was also asked how the APIs are doing .
- They are good at about 2.9. But im not certain the machine is picking up these rapid events that prevent me falling asleep.

As i understand it the machine only picks up events that wake you up. But I may be wrong on that.

Lets see how tonight goes[/size][/font]

Post Reply Post Reply
You haven't mentioned which model AirSense machine you have, so I hope it has data capabilities.

Before you change from starting at 7 to starting at 16, I would strongly suggest that you download SleepyHead software from the page linked at the top of this page. Look at the data from the last little while (it will be on the SD card) and determine your median and 90% pressure levels. There is a wiki page about using SleepyHead and understanding its charts, and many people here willing to help you.

Change your pressure slowly (perhaps 1 cm at a time, waiting 4-5 days between each change), with the goal of getting to about 2 cm below your median pressure. Your body will need time to adapt to these changes, so don't go overboard.
Post Reply Post Reply
would there be any reason to think you might be developing COPD? That's what it was for me. Told the Doc that it seemed like my apnea was starting just after I laid down. That triggered testing and diagnosis of COPD. I am way better now
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you have any ramp time set? If you do you might be at lower pressures when you are falling asleep. Post some data from Sleepyhead and we can offer more ideas based on our own experiences.

RichB
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 7 117 Yesterday, 12:48 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 264 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 827 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 44 1,862 03-12-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  [CPAP] Month on CPAP can't stay asleep Trep1018 1 138 03-08-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  SPO2 still falling with CPAP freedom yayy 12 389 03-07-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: freedom yayy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.