Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Apnea / sleep / aerophagia? advice
RE: Apnea / sleep / aerophagia? advice
Hi, I've never posted here but want to echo what a few others have said.
Started CPAP (Resmed Airsense 10) about 4 years ago. After a sleepover at a clinic I was told I experienced 33.9 events/hr. Long story short, got the Resmed, doc set it to 15psi & I (and my wife) slept like a baby for 2 years. Had some shoulder surgery two years ago. After that, for some reason, I started experiencing severe aerophragia. Woke me up one night so bad I almost had my wife call an ambulance. After a long belch & some other stuff I felt better and went back to sleep. But the aerophragia, sometimes mild, sometimes severe wouldn't go away. Saw a new sleep doc (PA actually) who suggested another sleep study. Said I'd think about it and pretty much quit the machine for awhile.

Maybe 6 months ago I decided to start playing with the pressure. Gradually took it down to 14, 13, 12, etc. then said screw it & took it down to 8. I've kept it there and still experience some mild to no symptoms, events are no different .1-maybe 2 events/hr. Central AI .1. I can live with it. I feel far worse without it.

But nothing ever beat the first couple of years I was on it before the surgery. I never felt that good in my then, 65 years on the planet. No fog, I wanted to get up. Maybe they intubated me, don't know. Something changed.

Stick with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think it is just fine to experiment with a slight drop in pressure. You're looking for the place where you have less aerophagia, with greater comfort and better sleep, while maintaining your excellent numbers.

Eventually it'd be nice if you could raise pressure and reintroduce EPR to see what you could do for the flow limitations, but one thing at a time.

Keep us posted.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-24-2020, 06:24 PM)Dormeo Wrote: I think it is just fine to experiment with a slight drop in pressure.  You're looking for the place where you have less aerophagia, with greater comfort and better sleep, while maintaining your excellent numbers.

Eventually it'd be nice if you could raise pressure and reintroduce EPR to see what you could do for the flow limitations, but one thing at a time.

Keep us posted.

Very good advice and will do. Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello NoVanWinckle! I just wanted to explain that my advice was in response to a post by Buonarroti. Your nice post will give Buonarroti some good encouragement, I'm sure.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, awful aerophagia callamar75 16 330 03-17-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 37 1,524 03-17-2024, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 97 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 54 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 114 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 13 279 03-12-2024, 06:44 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 5 194 03-12-2024, 03:56 PM
Last Post: RoughriderTR

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.