Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Taking mask off at the same time everynight
Taking mask off at the same time everynight
Hi Everyone!
Burn lurking around for a bit now, finally decided to post. Was diagnosed with Moderate Sleep Apnea (AHI 19.9) back in December, was given a Luna G3 and didn't like it, fought with my DME to get a Resmed AS 11 which seems to be a great machine and I like it much better. However I am taking my mask off (subconsciously) in my sleep and awaking later in the morning with it off. I seem to be removing it at the same time every night (1.5-2 hours upon falling asleep). As far as masks I have tried the N20, N30i, F30i, and the P30i, all of them give me the same result. My "prescribed" pressure is 5-15, however I have played around and tolerate higher pressures, seems like I have gotten used to falling asleep with the mask just fine no matter what the pressure is.

I checked OSCAR and don't see much, thought it could be a leak waking me up; however looking at it, seems like the leak was just caused by me taking the mask off. I have attached screenshots to see if anyone can see anything differently. I appreciate any feedback.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Taking mask off at the same time everynight
Removing the mask is kind of a bad habit that you need to break. It doesn't get fixed by changing settings, you have to modify your own behavior. Ideally you will wake up enough to put the mask back on. Nasal pillows like the P30i can just slip off your head, so if you have the autostart feature on, the machine will just shut-off and you won't notice. Turning off autostart will leave the machine blowing and that might rouse you to reset the mask.

Based on your chart you are using 5 to 15 pressure with EPR 3. You will need a minimum pressure of 7.0 to make the machine more responive. At a minimum pressure of 5 and EPR 3, your starting pressure is 5/4 and your exhale pressure does not go above 4.0 until the pressure exceeds 7/4 (inhale/exhale) pressure. That is why you're missing events earlier in the night.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Taking mask off at the same time everynight
Thanks, I'm going to up it to 7; I actually had it at 9-20 w/ auto-stop off for a bit and it was very tolerable, so I don't mind upping it to 7 and turning off auto-stop again.
I heard someone say to tape it to my face to prevent the subconscious removal at night so I am going to try that. It's just frustrating that I'm removing it at night, it's been almost three months now that I have had my machine. I have no problems with the pressure or feeling on my face otherwise, I fall asleep just fine with it, I actually have grown to like falling asleep with it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 29 1,030 Today, 02:44 AM
Last Post: Montacute
  Inspiration and Expiration Time MrIvanDrago 18 1,145 04-22-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: jake79
  My insp time is always longer than my exp time...is that bad? jake79 2 112 04-22-2024, 12:15 PM
Last Post: jake79
  myAir when sleep time is 4am to 4pm the next day iknownothing 1 107 04-22-2024, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Is there a way to change the Resmed 10 time from Miliary Time? johnathanb76 9 194 04-20-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 228 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 303 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.