Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Backpacking with a travel CPAP & using a CPAP over 8,000 ft
RE: Backpacking with a travel CPAP & using a CPAP over 8,000 ft
Mountains and beaches - my two favorite places!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2019, 01:15 PM)wanderinginthewoods Wrote: Interesting.  Thank you for the reply.  In some of the backpacking forums I've checked, the HDM Z1 has been highly recommended, because it seems to be one of the lightest, most compact, and has lightweight batteries.  I'll definitely do more research into that one before making any decisions.  Thanks again.

You're welcome. About the Z1 (also known as the Yugo of CPAP machines), I suggest reading this post for starters:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid276274

Then you'll be prepared to continue with the other discussion threads about that lemon.

It wouldn't matter quite so much if the damned thing didn't cost something like $900 retail. When I spend that amount on a DS Go eventually, I will have some confidence that I'm getting something solid and reliable for my money. With HDM and the Z1, no such confidence (to say the least!), so am not buying it, ever.
Post Reply Post Reply
The new Somnetics device looks pretty cool and some of the commenters say they've used it backpacking, too.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2019, 01:44 PM)wanderinginthewoods Wrote: The new Somnetics device looks pretty cool and some of the commenters say they've used it backpacking, too.

Is the new "Transcend 365 miniCPAP Auto" actually available anywhere?  If so, do you know where?  Or were the commenters talking about the "Transcend Auto", which has been around for years?  That PDF that I pointed to, dated November 2018, is all I've seen so far about the 365 model.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm pretty sure I've read in the past that the Z1 is a lot noisier than other brands. Also want to chime in that I bought a travel CPAP. I bought the DS Go mainly for 2 reasons. The ResMed Airmini although smaller and lighter than the DS Go only allows for a very few masks, and is VERY limited as to what data you get. There is no option to add any kind of memory card to export your data. The DS Go allows ANY mask and gives full data via the (not included) micro SD card. Now that being said, I will not be backpacking with mine. Just taking on flights, and when we take our small camper out.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you like its performance?
Post Reply Post Reply
To be honest I have only used for 1 whole night. But I did not notice it to be any louder than my regular machines, ResMed A10 Elite and System One 560 BT Auto. I slept just as well as with either of my other 2 machines. If there was any difference in the noise levels, I did not notice as I sleep 365 days a year with a fan going in the room for white noise ever since beginning CPAP.

Because you are backpacking, you might want to go into a CPAP store that sells all/any of the travel machines you are contemplating so that you can do a visual comparison in addition to feeling them for weight etc. I am not sure if such a store exists or whether the only place to compare them all is online.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
The torture never stops ...

I did a little bit more digging, just for fun and because I'm interested in all this stuff for my own purposes.  I have decided to get the DS Go rather than the Airmini, but here are some Airmini details anyway:

Resmed Airmini product & accessories guide (PDF, 1 page):

https://www.resmed.com/ap/dam/documents/...%20LOW.pdf

That lists the "P10 for Airmini mask pack", which includes the mask itself; the "N20 Airmini setup pack", which doesn't include the mask; and the "F20 Airmini setup pack", which also doesn't include the mask.  Mentioned in passing is "Airmini external battery (38838)", which I know nothing further about and haven't bothered to search for.

Airmini DC/DC converter dongle (cigar-lighter plug to Airmini power-connector plug):

https://www.resmed.com/us/en/healthcare-...erter.html

That would be used to take any arbitrary 12VDC power source, whatever you've got, and feed it to the Airmini, which wants 24V.  I don't know whether there's also a secret Masonic handshake, as there is with the A10 and S9.

OK, now the DS Go.  The user's guide says that the official Philips battery pack for that machine has a capacity of 62 watt-hours and will run the machine for at least 8 hours, how much longer presumably depending on the CPAP pressure or range.  So yes, it is for only one night's use before recharging, as I had guessed.  What's interesting is the 62 Wh figure, which means that the Renogy battery I mentioned, at 266 Wh, should be enough to power the DS Go for four nights via the efficient (supposedly 96%) Bixpower 12-to-24V converter.  However, you'd need to reverse-engineer the DS Go's battery connection and kluge together an appropriate cable (being careful to get the polarity right) between the Bixpower dongle and the DS Go's DC input before using any 3rd-party battery.

As I said, this is probably information overload, but that's how this stuff goes unless the patient/victim can afford to go on a big shopping spree and have everything done by the manufacturers and neatly packaged for easy consumption. As you can see, among other things, you've got a choice between four nights of DC power for $160+$50 (Renogy+Bixpower) after some homebrewed cable making, or about the same battery capacity for $1200 (four Philips DS Go batteries) off the shelf with no customization needed.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are any number of 12VDC solar cell systems designed for recharging LIon and Leadacid batteries. Consult Amazon.
Brian

"I drank WHAT?" - Socrates
Post Reply Post Reply
Good idea! I was forgetting about those. They're likely to be bulky and heavy, but if that's the only way, then that's the only way.

What's really needed by people hiking in the boonies is the periodic delivery of supplies by personal drone. The machine drops off a battery and food and water, then goes back to its base to pick up some more and wait for the next departure time.

(Of course the wilderness purists will think that's a stupid idea, but then what about CPAP? Do we want to do without that for a week, in addition to the household appliances, motor vehicles, computers, phones, etc.?)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night CPAP + OSCAR data Ostrich 0 23 2 hours ago
Last Post: Ostrich
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 26 498 7 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  hand numbness when using CPAP sleepingbetterinFl 6 143 9 hours ago
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 6 505 10 hours ago
Last Post: phillyfan24
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 10 223 Yesterday, 02:07 PM
Last Post: Luka07
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 9 166 Yesterday, 12:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 305 Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Last Post: Expat31

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.