Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Battery Power in RV
RE: CPAP Battery Power in RV
(05-28-2019, 02:07 PM)Insopita Wrote: Theoak, thanks for your response.  I'm hoping I'm good on all counts.  Luckily, my rv has a tv 12-volt outlet right over my bed.  I'm planning to order part number 37297 for the power supply.  From Supplier #1 on the above list.  I have two 6V batteries which as you stated, will charge up while driving or generator where allowed.  As I'm not real handy, I'm glad I won't be wiring anything!  Thanks again Smile

Super lucky!  It does not get much easier than that then.  You're set.  Happy camping!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-28-2019, 02:07 PM)Insopita Wrote: Theoak, thanks for your response.  I'm hoping I'm good on all counts.  Luckily, my rv has a tv 12-volt outlet right over my bed.  I'm planning to order part number 37297 for the power supply.  From Supplier #1 on the above list.  I have two 6V batteries which as you stated, will charge up while driving or generator where allowed.  As I'm not real handy, I'm glad I won't be wiring anything!  Thanks again Smile

37297 is what I have it works great I bought mine direct from Resmed as I am in the UK but Supplier #1 is reliable
Post Reply Post Reply
The Resmed DC-DC power supply that you propose to buy is by far the best option for running on 12-volt power. You can reduce battery drain significantly by using "passive humidification". That does not mean doing without water in your humidifier, just turn off the humidity controls and heated hose. This will make your machine battery friendly and will use about one-fourth the power as compared to using heated humidity and tubing. Chances are, your RV has sufficient capacity to run your CPAP with humidity, but turning off the heat makes it a sure-thing.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Two realistic options:

1. Buy and used the obscenely expensive ResMed DC-DC converter (PAP has to see the secret handshake coming from the converter to work) or

2. Use an inverter, but that's WAY inefficient. Never, ever advised unless there is NO OTHER WAY.

A third option would be to build your own converter that will supply the secret "handshake" to the unit (a few years back we had forum members that just couldn't figure out what to do with all their surplus time so they reverse engineered the Resmed unit and posted it for all the world to see. Hope you're real damn handy with a soldering iron and other electronics technique....)
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
is the resmed DC-DC converter expensive from the material cost point of view, yes. However if you don't want to fiddle with this and potentially burn out your CPAP just to save a few bucks, just buy the converter. There is a thread on here about how to make a solar powered (recharging) rig that will also work as a great UPS system in the house. You don't have to "build" anything but do have to connect the wires. If you can follow how to connect the wires you are good to go.

Camping, RV'ing, power outages... are a thing of the past
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-29-2019, 09:48 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: Two realistic options:

1.  Buy and used the obscenely expensive ResMed DC-DC converter (PAP has to see the secret handshake coming from the converter to work) or

2.  Use an inverter, but that's WAY inefficient.  Never, ever advised unless there is NO OTHER WAY.

A third option would be to build your own converter that will supply the secret "handshake" to the unit (a few years back we had forum members that just couldn't figure out what to do with all their surplus time so they reverse engineered the Resmed unit and posted it for all the world to see.  Hope you're real damn handy with a soldering iron and other electronics technique....)

As an electronics geek in hiatus right now (too busy getting the house ready to sell to tinker with hobbies), my interest has been most piqued......

Find post at "My battery backup setup" (search titles only for that phrase) post#59
(I can't post links as I don't have enough posts on the forum yet)

It's a simple pullup resistor (2.7 kOhm) from the center pin to +3.3V.  Bravo!  That's almost too simple.  Now I just need to find a source for the special barrel plug used on the ResMed and I might have a small project on my hands soon.

(first thought- source 5V USB from a decent portable lithium-battery-powered USB phone charger or solar battery setup and boost to 24V to run a resmed at its minimum settings with no frills, possibly need to rely on USB-C for drawing enough power though, and a USB-C PD capable portable battery)
Post Reply Post Reply
The deed is done, part 37297 will be here on Monday.  My trip departure hopefully will be on Wednesday.  :-)  After reading the posts on your experiences, decided that's best for me.  No tinkering for me!  Thank you for the input.   Dancing
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are curious Maxoak sells a battery capable of DC-DC with a single cable/adapter using 24V... I recommend it highly!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-31-2019, 08:26 AM)Diotima245 Wrote: If you are curious Maxoak sells a battery capable of DC-DC with a single cable/adapter using 24V...  I recommend it highly!

I saw that ... I notice it has a 12V out AND a 24V out.  I have a ResMed, my wife a Phillips.  For a single CPAP it claims 3-6 nights of use.  Can both outs be used at the same time?  Yes, I won't get 3-6 nights that way using both, but if my wife and I wanted to go camping for say 2 nights if both outs work at the same time ... this could work for the both of us.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-31-2019, 11:09 AM)theoak Wrote:
(05-31-2019, 08:26 AM)Diotima245 Wrote: If you are curious Maxoak sells a battery capable of DC-DC with a single cable/adapter using 24V...  I recommend it highly!

I saw that ... I notice it has a 12V out AND a 24V out.  I have a ResMed, my wife a Phillips.  For a single CPAP it claims 3-6 nights of use.  Can both outs be used at the same time?  Yes, I won't get 3-6 nights that way using both, but if my wife and I wanted to go camping for say 2 nights if both outs work at the same time ... this could work for the both of us.

As far as I know yes you could that...without humidifier you could probably run both  units. It might even handle with humidifier one for a single night w/ both CPAPs.  It comes with 1 adapter that is used to "trick" the AirSense 10 into thinking it's getting power from the ResMed power brick. If you have some way of charging it during day then essentially you wouldnt need anything else... there are fairly cheap solar  charging solutions out there.

I sent the customer support for Maxoak a email asking them however just do get a better answer. I will reply back once I get that info.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Remote power button? JohnKoz 8 126 Yesterday, 01:48 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Equipment] Battery power source for ResMed machine MaskedOne 8 179 04-12-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 10 308 04-02-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 54 4,770 04-01-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: Charliejoe
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,904 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 2,043 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  Airsence 10 Date Resets after Power Outrage Khayyam Qaiser 2 250 01-26-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Khayyam Qaiser

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.