Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Battery power when camping or power outage
Battery power when camping or power outage
Hi first post here. First I am sleeping and feeling 10 tons better after learning how to change my cpap pressure here.Thanks

We want to go camping (A LOT), but I feel like the walking dead with out my cpap. Tent camping with no ac power plugs.
So I was thinking of powering my cpap with a power inverter off of a marine deep cycle battery. I am pretty sure a night on the machine would kill the car battery.

Has any one done this? It would also be good if there was a power outage.

My cpap is a ResMed s9 with humidifier. I could forego the humidifier as it looks like it is the power hog here. But I do sleep better with it. I don't dry out.

Looking at the back of the machine I see 2 amp numbers. 1.25 and 3.75 (the later I am sure is with the humidifier).

Any thoughts on how big a battery I would need/ I figure a Habor Frieght 200 watt inverter would more than provide enough power (and it is only $3 dollars more than one at half the watts.

My best guess is 30 watts with out the humidifier and 90 with.

Is my thinking goofed up or just needs more data?

Ken

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Battery power when camping or power outage
Try to stay away from the inverter. It is a power killer in and of itself. You take 12 V DC and burn power to turn that into 110 V AC, then burn more power to turn that back into DC.

Resmed has a battery guide that outlines how to run an S9 on battery and has power consumption and battery capacity recommendations for various configurations. It can be found at:

http://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/a...lo_eng.pdf

Fortunately, Resmed offers a 12 to 24 V DC power brick to be used in place of the standard power supply for the S9. Unfortunately, you have to use their converter brick as they have designed their power plug around their proprietary plug. I believe that the S9 and S10 cannot be hooked up directly to a 24 V DC source as the power supply has a third wire that carries a signal between the power supply and blower. Without that signal, the blower she no work. You will need to get that power brick. It can be purchased at most online suppliers indexed on the Apnea Board; information on the converter can be found at:

http://www.resmed.com/epn/en/healthcare-...tput-.html

I have in the past run my DeVillbiss Intellipap and Respironics System One off of a 35 AH SLA battery often used to power mobility scooters (deep cycle design and much smaller than a marine Deep cycle - weighs around 25 pounds - as opposed to around 70 pounds for a 100 AH deep cycle marine battery - when camping, I would think that to be a factor). I figure conservatively that I could get almost a week out of one. For my pressures on the S9, and without heated humidification, the Resmed guide recommends a 7 AH battery for an 8 hour night - so the 35 AH should safely get me 5 nights. Those figures include a 50% safety margin. Depending on the expected length of your camping trips or access to power sources for recharging while on those trips, you may be able to bet by with a smaller lighter battery. You could also consider a passive humidification system if you really need it - IIRC both F&P and Respironics have one that you can simply install between your naked S9 blower unit and the mask.

A good charger for this kind of application is the Battery Tender by Deltran.

Please, whatever you do, do not try and rig this through an inverter. Is that a Citabria/Decathelon in the pic?

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-17-2015, 11:25 PM)Kenp51d Wrote: So I was thinking of powering my cpap with a power inverter off of a marine deep cycle battery. I am pretty sure a night on the machine would kill the car battery.

You're right on both counts!

Yes, it will kill your car battery.

A 100A/H Deep Cycle battery will happily run your machine for one night on high pressure and high humidifier, with some juice left over.

If you run lower pressure or less humidifier, you might get two nights, although I never count on it.

(06-17-2015, 11:25 PM)Kenp51d Wrote: Any thoughts on how big a battery I would need/ I figure a Habor Frieght 200 watt inverter would more than provide enough power (and it is only $3 dollars more than one at half the watts.

The Harbor Freight 200W inverter is big enough, but it's a little noisy. The larger models seems quieter. I believe the 12v resmed power supply is silent, although I've never used one. The tradeoff is in efficiency and flexibility. The resmed power supply is probably more efficient, but the inverter will also power a fan or light.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Kenp51d,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy and finding a battery settup for your machine and, have fun camping.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the links OMyMyOHellYes.

I forgot to come back and check for replies. The radio control forums I am on send an email notification of replies. SO I just forgot. A lot on the mind and stress.

Anyway I will go over the info in detail. My original guesstimate of power needs were off, It is higher.

I spent a lot of time on electrical and battery sites b ring myself to a useful understanding.

A lot of info to put together.

Thanks trish6hundred

Ken
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 115 Yesterday, 10:29 AM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,793 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,338 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,830 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  Lowenstein Prisma 20A - how can I work out energy usage for camping? JamesD0079 4 628 02-15-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  Airsence 10 Date Resets after Power Outrage Khayyam Qaiser 2 231 01-26-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Khayyam Qaiser
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 251 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.