Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Beginning My Journey and a Big thank you
RE: Beginning My Journey and a Big thank you
Hi Raggaemon! Welcome

Getting used to a strange "thing" attached to your face when trying to sleep will come to pass after awhile.  Your experience is very common.  Perseverance is the key here.

What model of the A10 do you have?  If you have a data capable model, I would suggest that you download #SleepyHead (name is a link) and review your sleep data.  You list a pressure of 4cm in your profile.  Most people find that pressure too low and will have a starved air feeling.  

Looking forward to your replies.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2017, 06:52 PM)Raggaemon Wrote: Then ... for whatever reason/s I started waking up having a tough time nodding off again, and when I wakeup I feel like I had no sleep whatsoever, is this NORMAL ? I'm pretty depressed right now, my life seems to be slipping away without me, my first grandchild is coming this July, I have to get better than this !

Thats pretty much where I am..I am 45 and have 2 little ones and would feel the same exact way.  I wonder what mask you got? Or why you are having a rough go of things? I think the machine you got is great..I went with the f-10 resmed mask (full face). I went with a medium size even though i have a big head...I'm wondering if maybe your mask could be part of the problem...

I was waking up feeling tired too man...And I can tell you that I was right where you were with 30-40 AHI .....this morning was night #2 under 5 and I feel better already.  I think if you post your data here and try a few of the suggestions you will get this, man. I'd love that. Maybe you can be more specific on why its been hellish and the good folks here can help you out.

For me, the key was changing the pressure on the machine (it was factory set 4-20) to a narrower range (i am set at 9-15 now) and also a higher minimum (9 instead of 4) with a lower maximum.... Also, I got super lucky and I really like the f10 mask....and one other thing is turning the ramp OFF and just starting right at my minimum pressure.  Had I not come here, and done those things I may have described my experience as hellish too...because night 1 I was leaking like a sieve and night two I had 25 AHI......

Hang in there man...! All I can say is once you get 6-7 hours of under 5 AHI and find a mask and some settings that work for you....youll be feeling better i think. Please keep in touch man!!

I'll leave you a cool tune , as I allso dig the Reggae my friend:

https://youtu.be/ZqgWuMcHc3g
Post Reply Post Reply
Night 6
--------

Another 6.5 hours....

My AHI went to slightly over 5 (5.5 or something)

and I had a bad mask leak in the middle of the night.....

still pretty happy with these settings and will go with them for a couple weeks.

I got my SD card in the mail so I will plug that in tonight and try to use sleepyhead
Post Reply Post Reply
I totally understand the feelings of gratitude for these people, too. So much great information and support here! I started here about a week ago and just got my machine today! I was just sitting on my bed staring at it and hoping the first night goes fairly well. I'll be thinking about you.  Good luck to both of us!

Sleep-well

Edited to add:  Oooops, thought your post was from today.  I'm going to read back and see how you did.
--Leslie

"It will all be fine in the end. If it isn't fine, it isn't the end."
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2017, 01:39 PM)rooy1960 Wrote: I totally understand the feelings of gratitude for these people, too. So much great information and support here! I started here about a week ago and just got my machine today! I was just sitting on my bed staring at it and hoping the first night goes fairly well. I'll be thinking about you.  Good luck to both of us!

Sleep-well

Edited to add:  Oooops, thought your post was from today.  I'm going to read back and see how you did.

Good luck!! Im excited for you!!!

SO far after about a week I am sleeping 2-3 hours less and feeling twice as rested.....

Let us all know how it goes!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Night 7
----------------

Had a gin and tonic & a beer a few hours b4 bed....Didn't sleep well...it was super hot and stuffy here (Bay area California) ...to make a long story short I only got about 5 hours of therapy in last night, and didnt install my SD card yet so I have no real data still...I had around 5.5 AHI again, but a higher mask leak rate..I am pretty sure I need to raise my minimum pressure....

It says my pressure averaged 13.7 and last couple times its been around 14 as well....so I am thinking of setting my minimum at 10....I might wait a week or so though.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would wait on going higher till we see the data. You might even get a higher AHI result if your apneas are CA based.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm smiling as I'm reading this thread!

Put the SD card in your machine, dude!!! Can't wait to see the data.

It's a real "high", finally getting good sleep! I used to need at least 10 hours a day, but I still felt like crap. xPAP therapy has given me a brain that works, energy throughout the day, and with the need to only sleep 7-8 hours. What?! Craziness! I'm loving it!
Post Reply Post Reply
I just now saw that the replies to my first post here went into my junk mailbox, sorry about that.

Thank you-thank you-thank you all for the welcome and the helpful advice !

There's nothing like having people to commiserate with who walk in your shoes, right?

Most of your advice zipped over my head, I don't see any SD card with the stuff the RT gave me, I do get a wireless report emailed to me each morning, so far my SLEEP SCORE hasn't been lower than 97, the number of episodes has been staying within a range of < 3 per hr. down from 34 per hr., there have been virtually no air leaks, but whether or not I'm having more REM sleep is unknown.

The RT told me yesterday to give it the full 90 days of the evaluation period, I still have been waking up feeling unrefreshed and by late morning I'm running on fumes, sad to say that naps aren't easy to come by for me, not sure why?

I have redness and skin irritation on the bridge of my nose from my face mask, it's not very comfortable, the RT told me to try a band-aid and antibiotic ointment since the skin actually is broken, doing that caused air leaks, I might need a different mask?

Once again, thanks for the friendly welcome ! Aloha ! ( I lived in Hawaii for a while ).
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, I just bought my airsense 10 too, but I choose the resmed quattro air mask instead of the F10 because it felt more secure when I talked or moved... And the F20 isn't avaliable here in Brazil. Anyway, waiting for the mask to get here, I'll start my therapy in 3 days max...
When you get your SD card, if you need any help interpreting the data just post a screen shot or two, or the data files for more detail.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,337 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Journey to cure UARS. OSCAR data attached gzaw 5 929 03-19-2024, 03:39 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Anxiety/elevated HR at beginning of night Jskier 1 212 02-11-2024, 02:41 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  CPAP journey start - please help (thread) Negligee1136 48 4,276 01-29-2024, 03:54 AM
Last Post: zaienk
  Cpap for 4 month, worked in the beginning but not much now Killiane69 6 604 01-23-2024, 07:41 AM
Last Post: Killiane69
  Dr. Steven Park details his UARS journey gainerfull 3 622 12-18-2023, 12:01 PM
Last Post: srwilsn3
  Twobigwheels - CPAP Therapy Journey Twobigwheels 34 1,202 11-27-2023, 09:55 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.