Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Beyond ASV with Overlap Syndrome!
RE: Beyond ASV with Overlap Syndrome!
Some time has passed and I've had a diagnostic and titration at UPMC Hanover. UPMC Pinnacle uses a CPAP coordinator that discusses with the patient the test results and which machine is best. My contact there states they default to ResMed machines and she and I have discussed some about my past PAP use. I have requested to get my copy of detailed reports. She's agreed to mail them as email didn't send them properly. I was messaged today that UPMC has finished the write-up of the titration. There's not much detail to be seen online but the tech seems determined that minimum pressure works fine. It just states that I did well on 7 cmH2O, but it's not mentioning events and such like. That's OK if it's accurate. I'm still making sure that respiratory disease is considered here with machine choice, I still have asthma. I'm calling the coordinator Monday to keep it moving. Tis all for now.

lots-o-coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The newest pulmonary doctor wanted me to try my ASV in CPAP mode and 7 cmH2O. Here is the OSCAR with results that are not acceptable. The positive is I slept through the night for 4.x hours, so a lower pressure set certainly has some merit. Negative is high untreated AHI and not well rested. I know there can be a time period to get back to being well rested, even so the OSCAR results are not good IMO.

[attachment=31271]
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
hopefully there's a method to this madness and the fixed setting is to establish some kind of baseline or otherwise inform your doc. presumably 12.75 is better than your untreated ahi which may explain why you slept longer. let's hope your current doc will eventually catch up!
Post Reply Post Reply
That would be nice but the video chat a little bit ago doesn't sound promising. For some reason both diagnostic and titration results sounds a bit off or not inline with my trends. No CA anymore hmm. Very little Apnea at all. I feel it was another futile duck chat. Ducky wants a quacker.

As is, I probably will look into buying my machine with the money generated with selling my car. I still say the ST-A is my best bet. The UPMC test results seem bogus somehow.
Post Reply Post Reply
You did pretty good with ASV and as I recall the main objection is the fully automated tidal volume which allows your minute vent to slip through the night. It would be nice if the Resmed ASV had some options to set specific targets rather than the fully auto solution.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Agreed. If I could graft in timing controls I feel I'd be better off.

Even so, I'm getting very tired of Old McDonald's farm full of Quackers.
Post Reply Post Reply
Small update, for some odd reason UPMC Dr. Viramgama says their sleep study shows very little CA and that I can be successfully treated with straight CPAP. To me this seems a bit bogus, and I've submitted titration results to WellSpan for that Dr. to view them.

I mean it would be great if COPD and CA were both gone, but I'm skeptical of the test results. And with my ASV in CPAP mode that's not even close to acceptable as treatment. UPMC doc is supposed to be ordering a CPAP, but he says he'd not specify any model. I'm not convinced it'll work.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dave, are you saying we should now disregard this clear indication of severe central apnea?  Reference this thread: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid199507

[Image: oNdcI7q.jpeg]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's what this duck would want, a disregard of test results. UPMC and Dr. Viramgama must use that special way of not seeing Apnea. I'll be calling there tomorrow to request the hard copy of the diagnosic, and to mention the CPAP mode at 7 is not going to work. And that I won't be back there.
Post Reply Post Reply
I called the CPAP coordinator at UPMC to discuss getting my reports and that CPAP mode at 7 isn't working and that my test results are not consistent with prior results. She's trying to get the doc to understand my goal of being on another treatment machine that includes time controls.

And she did mention one item I'd not heard before, that AHI of 20 or less is accepted as treated as a result at home but not in lab. I told her if I'm not seeing less than 5 AHI at home with more rest, then the treatment is a fail. AHI of 5 was expected to be the Apnea yardstick to measure treatment that's either working or not. And that plus whether you're rested or not combined to determine pass or fail on therapy. Apparently this 20 AHI at home is an ASAA yardstick. Fail em Quacko!

I'll be giving the WellSpan doc another shot once I show them my recent UPMC results that again aren't in line with past test results.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] I have TMJ Syndrome and mask straps can aggravate it. KStanLD 7 1,097 07-14-2023, 02:02 PM
Last Post: Uphold9887
  Do I have Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome (UARS)? 1g0tquestions 5 1,596 07-05-2021, 03:20 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Restlessness and Restless Leg Syndrome Brian T 14 3,253 12-24-2020, 04:07 PM
Last Post: StevesSp
  CPAP + Cushings Syndrome GWild 0 888 08-10-2019, 10:03 PM
Last Post: GWild
  Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) Zhaylin 9 2,249 10-31-2018, 04:12 PM
Last Post: Zhaylin
  My Theories on UARS (upper airway respiratory syndrome) fitmart 6 4,224 11-06-2017, 01:24 PM
Last Post: PsychoMike
  Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) Relief surferdude2 1 1,560 07-01-2016, 07:45 PM
Last Post: PoolQ

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.