Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Beyond ASV with Overlap Syndrome!
RE: Beyond ASV with Overlap Syndrome!
Makes sense on inverse not necessarily being an issue. Thanks for comments.

Focus on machine medically intended use makes perfect sense Sleeprider. So noted.

Wild thing happened. I stumbled across some YouTube guy Respiratory Coach, watched a tutorial on COPD he did, and commented on this situation. He made a tutorial touching on overlap syndrome and my info from comment involved and although he accidentally assumed I was on ST, he compared ST mode to AVAPS. Pretty cool I thought.

Thanksgiving time can be busy. No rush. Enjoy it and be safe.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW if it's worthy of posting, I can link that respiratory coach YouTube, or provide it. I still think it's pretty cool to comment on his COPD tutorial and he makes one about my asking about Overlap, with his focus on apnea in this scenario.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dave, waiting for links or embed.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's that YouTube:

Post Reply Post Reply
I may have to wait until disability approval to buy a machine with cash. The pulmonary doc's office has scheduled me for what he says is his only action, a new ASV titration. Handcuffs on this process because of trying to go via insurance paying. It'll be done in mid January. Either way, what I call effective therapy is delayed until the future.

FWIW my primary doc just scripted me as being unable to engage in any work due to severe chronic back pain that also affects back and leg mobility, the no work restriction is to continue indefinitely.
Post Reply Post Reply
What did pulmonologist say about ivaps
Post Reply Post Reply
If I want to tango with attempting to get insurance to pay for iVAPS, which for now I must try this route, I'll redo ASV titration in mid January. Very not good but my hands are pretty much tied up with no bucks.

I explained to pulmonary doc ASV isn't working with me, not mechanical failure, missing timing controls which I believe messes with breathing sync is how I presented. He seemed to understand and agreed iVAPS would address it. But he has to have data to do a script edit/change and present case of need to insurance, hence titration. Probably a vague familiarity to almost all AB members.

Upside is Social Security Disability should be approved soon but the time from approval to money in hand is uh questionable on speed if you get my meaning.

Side note I also did a 6 minute walk test at Pulmonary to get oxygen measure to attempt to see if POC needed. Oxy was OK, I forgot if she said 94 or 96, but not bad for COPD just shy stage 2.
Post Reply Post Reply
BTW here's the info on what local Apria DME said she can provide if needed, no iVAPS that she's aware of, but a Respironics Trilogy NIV...balloon blower.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-25-2019, 09:17 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I'll be seeing pulmonary office about this as soon as I can get an appointment.

I will be addressing:

1. Inverse I:E Ratio

2. Lack of setting control for timing on the ASV but available and needed to address I:E issue

3. Questionable minute vent numbers.

4. Included will be complaint that ASV and I are no longer on same page, machine and I are in a combat and I cannot use any more than under 2 hrs.

I'm basing my points to address on discussion this thread already contains. Thanks to all again for input. If something is missing that helps, let me know. If you do, thanks in advance. If nothing else to be added that's fine too. I'm sure this Overlap Syndrome (the ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A iVAPS machine seems sorta rare too) is pretty much uncharted territory for Apnea Board.

Have a wonderful day normal people.

Smile
I really wish resmed ASV Machine is not as limited as it is. It does not have the timing feature like VAuto does and also it does not allow you to set PS min or max to any value that you wish to do so instead they max out PS min at 6. I require more PS to get the tidal volume that I feel like I need to feel good but I know the machine is based off of calculating minute vent (which of course factors tidal volume into the equation)
Post Reply Post Reply
Pretty good video and Lefty seemed energized to tackle a more difficult problem that is unfortunately mostly overlooked in the sleep disordered breathing community.  Interesting he was under the impression that you were using S/T rather than SV, but his characterizations and use of AVAPS is correct.  His terminology and targets mostly describe Philips products which target Vt in stead of Vm, or more precisely alveolar volume Va which targets the minus dead space (more relevant to COPD).  Clearly his conclusion is to smooth out the variation in all the vent rates using a variable pressure support, rather than the reverse of allowing the patient vent rates to vary while maintaining constant machine parameters for pressure support.  It really makes a lot of sense that doctors are caring for a human being and should use the available technology to make respiration constant and less disruptive.  

We have discussed your use of ASV, and it seems for the most part effective, however your complaints of lower quality of sleep probably arise from the lack of specific respiratory targets.  We can see from your last chart that your RR and volume rates are "choppy". They seem to hit the targets but the rapid response of ASV on a breath by breath basis may not be ideal compared to the slower response and smooth targeting of the iVAPS.   Glad you were able to submit this question, and got such a thoughtful response.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=17400]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] I have TMJ Syndrome and mask straps can aggravate it. KStanLD 7 1,032 07-14-2023, 02:02 PM
Last Post: Uphold9887
  Do I have Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome (UARS)? 1g0tquestions 5 1,523 07-05-2021, 03:20 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Restlessness and Restless Leg Syndrome Brian T 14 3,168 12-24-2020, 04:07 PM
Last Post: StevesSp
  CPAP + Cushings Syndrome GWild 0 867 08-10-2019, 10:03 PM
Last Post: GWild
  Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) Zhaylin 9 2,165 10-31-2018, 04:12 PM
Last Post: Zhaylin
  My Theories on UARS (upper airway respiratory syndrome) fitmart 6 4,164 11-06-2017, 01:24 PM
Last Post: PsychoMike
  Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) Relief surferdude2 1 1,527 07-01-2016, 07:45 PM
Last Post: PoolQ

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.