Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to CPAP
RE: New to CPAP
Hi, tbh that's what I thought you would say. I appreciate your thoughts and when I meet with the doctor on the 4th I will push him to see where I get. 

Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
On your Amara View mask, it fits a bit differently than most masks and I suggest you google for the manufactures fitting video and watch that and make adjustments as necessary. Also check the fit guide (available on the Mask Primer near the bottom) as the Amara View fits by the depth of the nose and as such you cannot use your other masks as a guide for what size you will take.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Fred, I have taken a look and I will try again. 

AHI went back up to 16 last night with mostly CA events.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-29-2017, 12:52 PM)bonjour Wrote: On your Amara View mask, it fits a bit differently than most masks  and I suggest you google for the manufactures fitting video and watch that and make adjustments as necessary.   Also check the fit guide (available on the Mask Primer near the bottom) as the Amara View fits by the depth of the nose and as such you cannot use your other masks as a guide for what size you will take.

Fred

Hi Fred,

Well I tried the Amara again last night and had a better experience than the first try so thanks for the pointers. I woke at 2.30am and the bottom of my nose felt a bit sore (similar to when I scuba dive and the mask puts pressure on the underside of my nose). I tried to drop off but it was too uncomfortable and switched back to the old mask. What do you think I could adjust to help with this?, I also felt like I kept getting small leaks around the corners of my mouth and you can see this on the leak rate. I actually loosened the straps to start with compared to what the nurse fitted as it felt to tight on my nose.

So another question to all, with the Amara I seemed to have less events as you can see below, does anyone think a mask can change events or is this just a coincidence?

Thanks
[Image: uhXfz4W.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
As you already know, you can't draw any conclusions regarding the effectiveness of a mask, pressure or other variable on the basis of a single or partial night. You will need to observe this over a longer period of time. Especially with complex apnea, your results could be great one night and terrible the next and there is nothing you can point to as a cause.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll back SleepRider here, 1 night is always a coincidence.  I see some commonality in the flow chart among your clusters of CA events.  I doubt you will see that mixed on this machine, is it does resolve itself (which I strongly doubt, but hope I'm wrong) it will take several months.
Post Reply Post Reply
A little update, I saw the doctor again today and whilst he agrees the majority of events are CA he wont consider anything else until I have done 3 months use.

He has given me P10 pillows to try as the Amara moves in the night and wakes me, I have very oily skin and no matter what face wash I use a few hours in and it slidey mask time! great for keeping the wrinkles at bay but a nightmare for CPAP masks! I was a mouth breather but I have noticed with the mask I seem to have reverted to nose breathing, maybe its the positive pressure but man the pillows are sooo quiet and comfortable compared to a mask, so I am hoping it works.
Post Reply Post Reply
While any mask may or may not work for you, and masks must be tried on because each of us are unique and different with different facial features, this is why many of us suggest trying this mask.

Mouth breathers note how mouth breathing stopped with a nasal mask. This happens with nor all but many.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Fred,

Agreed, its been great being able to try different masks and I can see why so many people like the Amara, its just not the one for me.

Actually looking forward to trying the pillows out, fingers crossed.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.