Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Blowing My Cheeks Up?
CPAP Blowing My Cheeks Up?
I feel like my CPAP machine is blowing my cheeks up like a puffer fish when I sleep. Is this normal or am I having some mask fit issues?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP Blowing My Cheeks Up?
I would think that more of a problem with higher pressures

mine sure do want to blow up and do to a point, I have some extra straps as I had to deal with pressures up near 25 cmH2O, it does want to expand and I can feel it against the straps, when the extra straps were not there I was feeling like a trumpet player with their big puffy checks

I am still on my first week on the machine so I would also like to hear how others deal with this
Post Reply Post Reply
That is normal, annoying, and there are some methods and masks that reduce or eliminate this.

Nasal masks alone won't do this IF you close the back of your mouth. They will do it if you open the back of the mouth so the pressure in the mouth is greater than the outside air.

This is the same effect as what holds open your airway -- the primary positive benefit of CPAP -- so it is expected whenever you let higher pressure air into your mouth.

Straps are one method to controlling this when you cannot keep the air out of your mouth (e.g., mouth breathing, or just not closing off your mouth when using a nasal only mask.)

Chipmunk cheeks can happen at moderate and even lower pressures.

With 10-14 pressures:

I don't see it at all with the nasal pillow mask since the back of my mouth stays closed off and I allow no space for air in my mouth.

With an FFM, I do see this IF my mouth is part of the active airway.

With the Oral Mask (F & P Oracle) is was pretty much the way it was going to work and the strap was important for counteracting the effect. It made my jaw a little tired, even sore. Likely people learn to deal with it but it isn't going away without something to counteract or prevent the internal vs. external pressure difference.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
It's a common thing. Sit up with the mask and machine on during the day and practice with it. Heck, you can practice blocking it without the mask.

Open your mouth and breathe through it. Then, using just your tongue, block the air from coming out your mouth. It's might be awkward at first.

Now, put on the mask and turn on the machine. Open your mouth and let the air come out. Now move your tongue and block it. Keep your mouth open for now. Just block it with your tongue. Practice with this for a while until it is easy.

Now close your mouth and let the air puff up your cheeks. Use your tongue again to block the air from coming into your mouth. It should be easier.

Eventually, you will be able to open your mouth and no air at all will come out. I don't know how I do it any more. I actually have to WORK at it to get air to come out!

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chipmunk cheeks/mouth puffing her.suit 2 453 01-29-2024, 08:56 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  Resmed Airsense 11 blowing full power with no leaks bcodemz 2 870 10-29-2023, 07:57 PM
Last Post: bcodemz
  Chipmunk cheeks solutions SystemF 2 1,030 07-13-2023, 02:42 AM
Last Post: barney999
  Too much air blowing after cleaning eddog89 8 4,421 05-04-2023, 04:19 AM
Last Post: Sidesleeper2023
  [Equipment] Machine Blowing Too Hard On Inhale—DreamStation 1 fortywinks 0 527 03-28-2023, 08:48 AM
Last Post: fortywinks
  Airsense autoset 11 can I disable blowing again after turned off? plaidwandering 5 1,729 01-09-2023, 08:43 AM
Last Post: RNeil
  Mask fit - chipmunk cheeks Jmellarkey 0 781 01-07-2023, 06:20 AM
Last Post: Jmellarkey

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.