Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Burning Smell
RE: Burning Smell
Postscript to my smell...it was the dishwasher!!

Yesterday, the GFI kept popping on. When I turned the dishwasher on yesterday, it worked for less than one minute. A friend came today to check it and found a burned wire. So I am may be not so crazy.

(09-16-2013, 04:19 PM)KarenK Wrote: Funny, I woke to an odd smell this morning. Not burning, just odd. I took the pillows out of my nostrils to check, and the smell was gone. Later I discovered that the water in my reservoir was gone.

BUT, it makes me wonder, if there was a fire, would I smell it with my nostrils closed up?????????????

Post Reply Post Reply
cj, have you tried placing the machine on a different surface, like a piece of carpeting? I've have never noticed any smells from my machine but then again we had a major gas leak in the house which I never smelled either! Dont-know
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-18-2013, 10:16 AM)PollCat Wrote: cj, have you tried placing the machine on a different surface, like a piece of carpeting? I've have never noticed any smells from my machine but then again we had a major gas leak in the house which I never smelled either! Dont-know
Yes, I tried moving the machine to different surfaces, still the smell. However, DME gave me a new machine and I have slept with it for 2 nights now and NO SMELLS. Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-18-2013, 08:47 AM)KarenK Wrote: Postscript to my smell...it was the dishwasher!!

Doggone it! You're not supposed to hook the CPAP machine to the dishwasher.

There's actually a good lesson here. We (and our doctors) often tend to blame all our medical problems on apnea/CPAP. Sometimes it blinds us to the real problem.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sometimes life is crazy and things that happen are very strange/weird.

My cousin was telling me their air went out and had to wait 2 days for a tech to come out and check it, etc.

Then, I read on here about a few people having that burning smell. Fortunately, I have smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, a monitored smoke alarm, heat sensors, security system.

So, Tuesday afternoon when everyone is still working and I was home alone, I started smelling a burning smell (smelled electrical to me). The first thing I thought of was my CPAP machine as it is new and the smell was strong in the master bedroom where I was.

It scared me and I started unplugging everything that wasn't hard wired (ceiling fans, etc.) to see if I could find the source. I was concerned if it was an electrical situation, that I might not be able to get my 3 dogs, myself, etc. out fast enough.

I finally called my a/c company b/c I felt like that was the source of the problem. You would think with a burning smell, they would send someone out that day. Nope, they were going to wait until the following day.

So, when they came out the next day, it was the heat pump and not my CPAP or any other electrical issues. So, I guess that hearing all these stories of burning smells and a/c's going out, we got both happening!

Not the kind of keeping up with the Jones' I like to have happen! lol

It gave me a little more faith that when we smell something like this that we can should take our machines to be checked and ask the DME to call the manufacturer if we aren't comfortable with what they are telling us. And, trust our instincts!

Happy and safe sleeping!!

Wasn't sure if I should have posted this in off topic or not but since it had to do with the burning smell, I went with it here.
Post Reply Post Reply
Night #3 with new machine....NO SMELL!!! I am thinking the problem is solved. Oh and by the way, I too have a smoke detector/carbon monoxide detector and we had actually moved the smoke detector to the bedroom when the burning smell started but it never went off. It is still a mystery as to what was actually causing 2 machines to smell like they did (same year models) Dont-know but I am happy with my newer year model so far!Dancing
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2013, 04:19 PM)KarenK Wrote: Funny, I woke to an odd smell this morning. Not burning, just odd. I took the pillows out of my nostrils to check, and the smell was gone. Later I discovered that the water in my reservoir was gone.

BUT, it makes me wonder, if there was a fire, would I smell it with my nostrils closed up?????????????

You would. Remember it sucks in air from around the machine. I hate to use this as an example, but when my wife passes gas, Im the first to notice....whew!Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply
IT's BACK Sad All was good up until Friday night and the smell came back. Hubby couldn't breath, smell filled the room..etc... This is my 3rd machine and I am almost embarassed to take it back because the DME didn't find anything wrong with the other ones. Saturday night was worse, the smell was horrific, like I have stated...my husband relates it to Carbine smell. It is not the humidifier, I don't use one, we don't smoke, we have checked the outlets and wiring in the bedroom, I have a smoke alarm/carbon monoxide detector and it hasn't gone off... This is getting ridiculous, he can't sleep. Please if anyone has any suggestion let me know! I am desperate!!! Also the smell goes away when I turn the machine off.....it is driving me crazy!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2013, 02:22 PM)cjhaile Wrote: IT's BACK Sad All was good up until Friday night and the smell came back. Hubby couldn't breath, smell filled the room..etc... This is my 3rd machine and I am almost embarassed to take it back because the DME didn't find anything wrong with the other ones. Saturday night was worse, the smell was horrific, like I have stated...my husband relates it to Carbine smell. It is not the humidifier, I don't use one, we don't smoke, we have checked the outlets and wiring in the bedroom, I have a smoke alarm/carbon monoxide detector and it hasn't gone off... This is getting ridiculous, he can't sleep. Please if anyone has any suggestion let me know! I am desperate!!! Also the smell goes away when I turn the machine off.....it is driving me crazy!!

If you have your power supply close to your CPAP machine, this has been known to cause issues with the CPAP machine.

My only other suggestion is to call the manufacturer and ask them what they might offer. Resmed's phone number is 800-424-0737. This is how I found out about the power supply and 3 other things that could cause issues with the CPAP machine.

If I can think of anything else, I will post it later.

Sorry this has happened to you and hope you can figure this out.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2013, 02:22 PM)cjhaile Wrote: IT's BACK Sad All was good up until Friday night and the smell came back. Hubby couldn't breath, smell filled the room..etc... This is my 3rd machine and I am almost embarassed to take it back because the DME didn't find anything wrong with the other ones. Saturday night was worse, the smell was horrific, like I have stated...my husband relates it to Carbine smell. It is not the humidifier, I don't use one, we don't smoke, we have checked the outlets and wiring in the bedroom, I have a smoke alarm/carbon monoxide detector and it hasn't gone off... This is getting ridiculous, he can't sleep. Please if anyone has any suggestion let me know! I am desperate!!! Also the smell goes away when I turn the machine off.....it is driving me crazy!!

May I suggest you remove people and things from the room one at a time to see if one item is the problem. Or, perhaps you and your equipment to another room?

I' not sure what you mean by Carbine smell? Do you mean Carbide?
To me, Carbine is a US .30 caliber rifle developed in WWII and used in WWII, Korea and Vietnam.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,744 1 hour ago
Last Post: her.suit
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,808 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 ducknoir 22 7,211 03-06-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Teddyg
  Burning Smell? BC3B 33 19,395 10-25-2023, 08:55 AM
Last Post: Teddyg
  [CPAP] Sweet morning smell..... H2Daddy 12 8,823 10-24-2023, 12:23 AM
Last Post: fly by night
  Burning irritation from head gear Xltrod 0 438 10-13-2022, 06:39 AM
Last Post: Xltrod
  Resmed Climateline tubing smell wenfroed 21 7,658 10-08-2022, 12:32 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.