Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Buying advice -- APAP vs. CPAP
Buying advice -- APAP vs. CPAP
Hello once more.

It looks like I need to replace my ancient no-frills CPAP before it fails. My health insurance won't pay for a new one -- DME is not a covered benefit.

I'm frugal and not affluent, so maybe I'll get a used one on Craigslist -- or maybe a new one from an on-line dealer. I thought I should shop for another no-frills machine, to save money, but as I look around, it seems like an APAP might cost me a few bucks more than a CPAP. I'm not sure I need an APAP. On the other idea, I like the idea that it will calibrate itself. As I get older, my weight changes, or if my sleeping position changes, the pressure will always be just right. If it has a recording function, I suppose I can take the data to the doctor if I need to.

Comments and suggestions please?

Are APAPs really plug-and-play? I know my usual pressure on my CPAP -- 7 cm. That seems about right. I probably won't be getting any help from a dealer or doctor.

Thanks in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Buying advice -- APAP vs. CPAP
APAP cost only few dollars more than CPAP
APAP can do CPAP and APAP .... two machines in one, better long term investment

The two most popular choices
1- Phillips Respirocis System One Auto, model numbers 550 and 560 (560, newer and comes with the heated hose option)
Model number printed on the label at the bttom of the machine (remove water tank)

2- ResMed S9 AutoSet (not S9 Escape Auto)
Model name printed next to on/off button
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi winky, What zonk said.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you on your decision.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
winky,

Personally I would not buy a bare bones machine that recorded nothing but usage hours. I'd recommend buying a machine that records full efficacy data: You might never look at the data, but if you ever start to feel sleepy in the daytime or start having serious problems waking up with a dry mouth, the data is there if or when you need it.

Resprionics equipment is cheaper than Resmed here in the states. At on-line DMEs, the PR System One Pro CPAP, which is a full data CPAP is usually priced about $50 less than the PR System One Auto CPAP. But the cheapest brick in the System One line is the Series SE machine, which is priced about $200 less than the Pro. But the Series SE records only usage data and is missing several other important features that the Pro has.

If money is really tight and you would prefer to not give up on efficacy data, then you might want to look into the DeVilbass IntelliPAP Standard Plus CPAP Machine with SmartFlex, which usually sells for $80-$100 less than the PR System One Pro.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wouldn't want a machine without full data either.

If possible (affordable) I would want the APAP but if my single pressure was known to give me good therapy it would do in a pinch.

Going the used route might even make the ResMed S9 Autoset virtually the same price as a brick CPAP machine.

You have to spend you money wisely, but especially if you are self-treating to avoid doctors expenses the APAP and the data make a lot of sense IF you can affort them.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply

I am going to bite the bullet and part with my brick and buy prsystem 1 ds560s- auto cpap. Question is heated tubing or not?
I have one on loan now and I love it. I am now ON MY WAY TO BETTER SLEEP...FINALLY
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
If you love the heated tubing then that argues for your both needing it and it being worth the extra money to *you*.

I have heating tubing and have never seen the problems of the unheated type so I really don't know if I *need* this or not (given my climate and household temp settings.)
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2014, 07:44 AM)readyforsleep Wrote: I am going to bite the bullet and part with my brick and buy prsystem 1 ds560s- auto cpap. Question is heated tubing or not?
I have one on loan now and I love it. I am now ON MY WAY TO BETTER SLEEP...FINALLY
If the heated hose you've got on loan is leading to BETTER SLEEP...FINALLY then getting the heated hose (with the necessary upgrade to the power supply as I recall) is WELL WORTH IT.

Quality sleep is the whole point of this crazy therapy. Spend the money you need to make sure your sleep is good ....

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR advice juniper 7 173 04-12-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Headache, Brain Fog, Dizziness, Nausea after APAP Use geosyncline 24 3,223 04-10-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: jiyun
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 149 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] Sefam S Box APAP mode sudden failure Helentw 3 124 04-07-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Helentw
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 52 2,536 04-06-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: akarifur
  APAP to VAuto not going well snapperzz 6 222 04-05-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 17 918 04-02-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.