Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] CPAP Banned after Tooth Extraction and fistula to sinus.
CPAP Banned after Tooth Extraction and fistula to sinus.
I am wondering if anyone has had experience with this and can suggest how long I may need to be away from using my CPAP and also am wondering if there are suggestions, other than what I am trying, for better alternative "methods" for controlling my apnea.
Almost 2 weeks ago I had a tooth extraction and one root went into the maxillary sinus and so I cannot use CPAP until there is enough healing. My dentist does not seem to want to say how long this may take, even a ballpark estimate. I was also instructed not to blow my nose or suck or chew on that side and was warned that if a fistula persists a bone graft could be necessary.
My dentist advised sleeping at a 30 to 45° angle, making a ramp with pillows, but this has been extremely difficult because of lower back issues. My sleep doctor suggested that I make a homemade shirt to "keep me off my back", using a T-shirt and making pockets on the back filled with "pool noodle" Styrofoam. I did this but found the Styrofoam "too kind" and have now put tennis balls in the pockets. this seems to be somewhat effective. I know there are commercially made products to wear to do the same thing but have not been convinced they will be any better than what I have made.
I have no idea how much apnea I am having. I feel better than prior to CPAP but do not feel as well rested as when using CPAP and am spending many more hours in bed "like the old days" and am counting the minutes until I can get back to my machine.
I realize this is a small blip in the overall scheme of things but am curious to know if others have thoughts or suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP Banned after Tooth Extraction and fistula to sinus.
(09-16-2013, 09:16 AM)Moo Wrote: I am wondering if anyone has had experience with this and can suggest how long I may need to be away from using my CPAP and also am wondering if there are suggestions, other than what I am trying, for better alternative "methods" for controlling my apnea.
Almost 2 weeks ago I had a tooth extraction and one root went into the maxillary sinus and so I cannot use CPAP until there is enough healing. My dentist does not seem to want to say how long this may take, even a ballpark estimate. I was also instructed not to blow my nose or suck or chew on that side and was warned that if a fistula persists a bone graft could be necessary.
My dentist advised sleeping at a 30 to 45° angle, making a ramp with pillows, but this has been extremely difficult because of lower back issues. My sleep doctor suggested that I make a homemade shirt to "keep me off my back", using a T-shirt and making pockets on the back filled with "pool noodle" Styrofoam. I did this but found the Styrofoam "too kind" and have now put tennis balls in the pockets. this seems to be somewhat effective. I know there are commercially made products to wear to do the same thing but have not been convinced they will be any better than what I have made.
I have no idea how much apnea I am having. I feel better than prior to CPAP but do not feel as well rested as when using CPAP and am spending many more hours in bed "like the old days" and am counting the minutes until I can get back to my machine.
I realize this is a small blip in the overall scheme of things but am curious to know if others have thoughts or suggestions.

will your dentist allow you to use a mouth mask only? Just a thought.

I saw one online but I am not sure I am allowed to post it or not. You can google oral cpap mask and see what you can find if your dentist will allow you to use that. Hope this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks me50. I am seeing my dentist tomorrow and will ask her opinion. I looked online at one of these masks from a well-known company and suspect there would still be too much risk. Even though the mask ports are behind the teeth I suspect there would be risk of air pressure against the tooth bed risking pushing air into the sinus. There would also be pressure from the appliance on the sore gums. In the video that I watched there was mention of "reverse leak through the nose" with possible need to plug the nares and so in this situation there would be positive pressure in the nose as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2013, 10:36 AM)Moo Wrote: Thanks me50. I am seeing my dentist tomorrow and will ask her opinion. I looked online at one of these masks from a well-known company and suspect there would still be too much risk. Even though the mask ports are behind the teeth I suspect there would be risk of air pressure against the tooth bed risking pushing air into the sinus. There would also be pressure from the appliance on the sore gums. In the video that I watched there was mention of "reverse leak through the nose" with possible need to plug the nares and so in this situation there would be positive pressure in the nose as well.

glad you were able to look at one to see that a mouth mask would not be the solution most likely. Hope that someone finds a solution for you as I sure wouldn't want to be without CPAP treatment!! Feel better soon!
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a tooth extraction and asked about the CPAP. Since I use nasal pillows vs FFM, it was okay for me to continue. But since yours is sinus AND tooth, that would be difficult. The oral mask should work for you as long as it fits around the tender tooth. It is going to be blowing air but it won't be as much as say sucking on a straw. You may have to get a swimmer's nose pinch thingy as well.

Have you tried sleeping in a recliner? If you have one, put it so it is against the wall when it is tilted. I had to do this once during a power outage. I kicked so hard during an apnea event that I flipped the recliner. Rude rude awakening, to put it mildly.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Until the fistula fully heals you can't use anything that puts extra pressure, even a little, into the nasal cavity. Healing depends on a lot of factors, so your dentist is the go-to guy for the ok. Sorry, can't help you further.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2013, 09:38 AM)me50 Wrote: will your dentist allow you to use a mouth mask only? Just a thought.

I saw one online but I am not sure I am allowed to post it or not. You can google oral cpap mask and see what you can find if your dentist will allow you to use that. Hope this helps.

Me50,

As I understand the rules, you can post a link to the manufacturer site for the mask you found for the purpose of linking to user manuals, product support documents and similar information-only pages.

Hope that helps.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2013, 10:36 AM)Moo Wrote: Thanks me50. I am seeing my dentist tomorrow and will ask her opinion. I looked online at one of these masks from a well-known company and suspect there would still be too much risk. Even though the mask ports are behind the teeth I suspect there would be risk of air pressure against the tooth bed risking pushing air into the sinus. There would also be pressure from the appliance on the sore gums. In the video that I watched there was mention of "reverse leak through the nose" with possible need to plug the nares and so in this situation there would be positive pressure in the nose as well.

Just wondering what you have found out and how things are going. Hopefully you are back on CPAP therapy now and feeling better from your tooth extraction!

Let us know!
Post Reply Post Reply
The fistula appears to have covered with soft tissue and the dentist is very pleased about that but has wanted to wait a bit longer to let some bone development occur. I am really hoping that next week ( will be one month then) I will get the go ahead. Have been using the t- shirt with tennis balls with not perfect but I think pretty good success. A silver lining perhaps is that I will always have that backup when the power is out or the upper respiratory tract infection prevents CPAP.
The dentist mentioned maybe needing an X-ray to confirm bone development in the area. Will let you know. Has been an interesting experience.
Post Reply Post Reply
Work with your dentist, but CPAP pressure is a lot less than people imagine it to be.

Even if you are at a pressure of 20, that's the same pressure as when you drink or blow bubbles with a soda straw at the bottom of an 8 inch deep cup. It's much less than what you'd get from sneezing, blowing up a balloon, etc.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 9 184 03-26-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Luka07
Exclaimation Wisdom tooth removal causes sleep apnea? esaulcatnas 0 334 12-14-2023, 08:22 PM
Last Post: esaulcatnas
  Sinus issues during therapy befoulmetalroosa 1 343 11-17-2023, 08:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [CPAP] Airsense 11 data extraction - time til asleep? Driftin12 3 479 10-19-2023, 09:24 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Sinus infection / recovering from surgery rpierce 0 349 08-24-2023, 12:18 PM
Last Post: rpierce
  Humidity and Sinus Infection Columbiabill 2 591 06-04-2023, 03:03 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  New user with sinus headaches SnoNoMo 6 906 04-20-2023, 12:18 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.