Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] CPAP - COVID Story from the Philippines.
CPAP - COVID Story from the Philippines.
CPAP - COVID Story from the Philippines.

As noted, I am an American retired in the Philippines.  The main reason I bought a CPAP machine was as a backup treatment for COVID-19.  The medical care system here runs at near capacity even under normal circumstances.  Most of the better hospitals in Manila are not taking new COVID-19 patients.  I had read of CPAP+Oxygen as being an alternative to intubation.  Further, I am a snorer, a person who always wakes up feeling tired.  So, I  thought a CPAP is worth trying.  I have never had a sleep study.  I have COPD and a normal 02 of about 93 to 94%.

I bought a slightly used Philips Dreamstation APAP on eBay and had it shipped here from a seller in Delaware.  It came with about 350 hours on the blower, a heated tube and Dreamwear full face mask.  

I sterilized the gear and set up the APAP on Auto with no ramp, maximum pressure 15, minimum pressure 7. I tried it for a couple of nights.  I found the Dreamwear mask to be quite comfortable.  My sleep routine involves a jigger of bourbon before bed.

Checking OSCAR I found that my AHI was 3.85 with minimal obstructive, some hypopnea and lots of snoring.  I did not mind sleeping with the machine on, but did not feel any particular benefit.  Because I have COPD, I might be missing some benefit to my nighttime oxygenation.  I do have a CONTEC CMS60D which supposedly can record but getting the data into OSCAR would be an adventure.  Probably I will just store away the machine.

Comments, criticisms welcome.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP - COVID Story from the Philippines.
You need to provide a full screenshot by pressing F12 cropping information out is not helpful see the details in my signature
Post Reply Post Reply
As a COPD patient, you probably need a different treatment, one that targets each patient's unique alveolar ventilation. I'm not an expert on it so just hold on, someone with the knowledge will chip in soon.
Post Reply Post Reply
You need to do something about how that mask is fitting. Look at the leak.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your Dreamstation is set at 8.0 - 12.0, not at 7.0 - 15.0 as you mentioned.

Try resetting to 8.0 - 15.0

And forego the bourbon at night.. alcohol can over relax the jaw, tongue and throat muscles.
The relaxed jaw can lead to higher leak rates, and the tongue relaxing and falling back in the throat can increase the AHI.
- They are not spelling/grammar errors.. I live in Australia, we do it differently Down Under  Big Grin -
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 625,809 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Long story short chronic 5 380 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
  TechieHippie's story: "mild" apnea but clusters of SpO2 drops TechieHippie 17 1,050 02-12-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Covid Induced CA (Potentially) + UARS, Looking for Help with ASV Settings zfaulk 22 1,987 01-26-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: subconscious
Sad Higher AHI after Covid Recovery - Oscar Data amfar33 3 351 01-12-2024, 12:17 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [Health] AHI Increased - Covid Positive amfar33 2 411 12-27-2023, 09:14 AM
Last Post: Gideon
Cool Success story. ASV - switched from full face to nasal mask 00derek 2 900 11-25-2023, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.