Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] CPAP Noob and having issues
Question 
CPAP Noob and having issues
Hello All,

I am recently diagnosed with severe OSA (AHI 50) and have been prescribed an APAP, in fact I just picked it up last night. I am having issues with nasal congestion and the feeling that I am not actually breathing while using my APAP. I was given the APAP because I was unable to complete a CPAP titration study for the same reasons. I guess I am a big baby when it comes to wearing a mask while sleeping, but I know I need this to work for me. I also realize that a total of about 3 hours of wearing this thing is really not much time at all and that I need to just stick with it.

All of this being said any suggestions to help with the congestion feeling and help to adapt to this APAP would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP Noob and having issues
Welcome to the board,

When you say you feel like you are not breathing, could you explain? Do you feel like you can't breath out (exhale) or you can't breath in (inhale)?

The two can be addressed, but the solution is different for the two of them. I do not use your type of machine, but lots of people here do, and I am sure they will chime in and offer sound advice on how to adjust it to solve your problem.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-29-2016, 03:12 PM)roreee Wrote: Hello All,
..... I also realize that a total of about 3 hours of wearing this thing is really not much time at all and that I need to just stick with it.

Thanks!

Hello roreee

Welcome

You will find people here really want to help you and the problems you identified are common when starting therapy.

You have already cleared on of the biggest hurdles for many people. You realize you have to give it some time and apply some stick-to-itiveness.

The discomforts will pass as your body adapts to the therapy.
2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do have the same machine and my guess is that 5 is kind of low. And if you use the Ramp feature it will go even lower. I find 7 or above easier to breathe with. Relax, it gets easier.
Post Reply Post Reply
No such thing as a big baby with this, we are messing with our breathing and that tends to trigger survival reactions.
Agree that the starting pressure of 5 might be on the low side, it is for many people. If it's low for you it may make you feel starved for air, just not getting enough air. I need to be above 5.6-5.8, I am that sensitive.

Congestion can be from several reasons
Humidity set too low or too high
Temperature setting needs to be adjusted
The flex setting on your machine needs to be adjusted

You may also find that the pressure itself can feel like congestion, sinus pressure used to be only caused by congestion and now your APAP has been added to the list and you need to get used to this part of it
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome roreee.

I'm on my 8th night with a DreamStation Auto and I really like it. I also have occasional nasal congestion.

My script is for 10cm fixed cpap. I'll tell you how I set up mine.

Therapy: Auto, OptiStart=off, AutoMin=9.5, AutoMax=14
Comfort: Humidification=adaptive, Humidifier=1, Tube temp=1, SmartRamp=on, Ramp Time=0:15, Ramp Start=6.5, Flex=C-Flex, Flex Setting=3

If I'm feeling congested I won't use the ramp and the 9.5 minimum seems to open my nasal passages. If 9.5 is too much, I hit the ramp button. C-Flex at 3 helps me breathe easier. The adaptive humidifier works great in my 60 degree room without a hose cover and no rain-out.

With the DS and P10 nasal pillows, I'm sleeping better than I have in 15 years of cpap use. My AHI < 2. Humidification is just about optimum. It's just a more comfortable experience than my previous setups.

My settings are just suggestions you may want to consider.

Incorrect pressure and C-Flex settings can exacerbate your sleep apnea and effects vary with individual patients. Please use caution.

Please start using SleepyHead and post your screenshots to the board for analysis by some pretty smart cpap users (not me!).

Things will get better.

Good luck,
Steve
Just my personal opinion.  My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact.  Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel.  Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-29-2016, 03:12 PM)roreee Wrote: Hello All,

I am recently diagnosed with severe OSA (AHI 50) and have been prescribed an APAP, in fact I just picked it up last night. I am having issues with nasal congestion and the feeling that I am not actually breathing while using my APAP. I was given the APAP because I was unable to complete a CPAP titration study for the same reasons. I guess I am a big baby when it comes to wearing a mask while sleeping, but I know I need this to work for me. I also realize that a total of about 3 hours of wearing this thing is really not much time at all and that I need to just stick with it.

All of this being said any suggestions to help with the congestion feeling and help to adapt to this APAP would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Try a dibbity-dab of mentholatum on your nose, it'll help you relax and not try to force the air through...it can get frustrating, relax and breathe calmly, maybe you need the full face mask till ya' get used to the added equipment of sleep. Sleep-well
I enjoy being with a group who like to share their "Hosehead" experiences, to remind me I am not alone.
Post Reply Post Reply
For the first few months I suffered from congestion and post nasal drip. To combat this I changed climate line tube to auto from a manual setting and used NeilMed nasal rinse before bed. Boom, problem solved. Stick with it. Eventually you will find your therapy "sweet spot". The insight and wisdom from others here will assist you on your path. Welcome to our group.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi roreee,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I know CPAP therapy can take some getting used to, but just stick with it, it gets better over time.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you on your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome roree.. You sound like a professional CPAP'er already. Glad you are with us. You didn't add your location, but location does make a difference. I live in Florida and I feel that I don't really need any humidification or just a setting of very low. Seasonal allergies (this time of year) can be bothersome and cause some congestion to some folks, including me.. The NeilMed nasal rinse before bed is a great suggestion. I use it also. Starving for air can usually be the result of a low setting. If possible, try to start with a 7.. If too much, back off.
You are on the right track. Full speed ahead.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Supplier and Insurance issues DudleyDoRight 0 71 04-18-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: DudleyDoRight
  Help a noob - low AHI but still feeling tired PeachPhantom 3 153 04-17-2024, 08:31 PM
Last Post: PeachPhantom
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 218 04-15-2024, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 14 574 04-12-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Luka07
  [Treatment] AHI under control but flow limitation issues guzzle 2 246 04-03-2024, 02:12 PM
Last Post: guzzle
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 151 03-27-2024, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 147 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.