Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] CPAP Software
Ohmy 
CPAP Software
Hi, I was recently diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnea. Not really sure what all that means. I've been trying to sleep with my mask and cpap for two weeks now. It has been a real struggle. During the night I am constantly adjusting and fixing my mask. I know it leaks a lot during the night. My cpap machine does have a smart card. What does it capture and how can it help me? Where can I get the software to read the card?

Not sure if I'll ever get used to this machine. The person that fit me for the cpap said I would feel an immediate difference. So far, I am as tired and no energy as before I did my sleep study.

Thanks
FrankHuhsign
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP Software
Welcome to the forum!!! We are glad you joined us!!! Welcome

There is software you can use to access the data on your smart card.

Go here and you will have find links to the ResScan software (Windows only) and Sleepyhead (Windows, Mac, and Linux)

Forum Private Files and Links

Mask leakage is a tough one to get under control. It takes fiddling with the fit of the mask to ensure it is tight (but not too tight) enough to fit your face without excess leakage. You see, having the mask too tight will cause excess leakage as well as having the mask too loose.

It is also possible that the mask you have may not be the right one for your needs.

Best of luck to you on your journey. Sleep-well
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Auggie Doggie, First, WELCOME! to the forum.! I'm sorry you are having such struggles sleeping with your new mask and machine. CPAP therapy takes LOTS of TIME and PATIENCE, especially when it comes to getting the RIGHT mask that will work for you, so hang in there. As far as feeling an immediate difference, everybody is different. In other words, some feel an immediate difference and it may take others quite a while to notice. Best of luck with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-29-2012, 08:23 PM)Auggie Doggie Wrote: Hi, I was recently diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnea. Not really sure what all that means.

It means that when you're asleep you stop breathing more than 30 times per hour. Your body struggles for oxygen, eventually waking you up to make you breathe again. This interferes with your ability to go into the deeper stages of sleep, so you never get the rest you need for your body and mind to function normally. It also means you have an elevated risk for high blood pressure, heart attack, and stroke.

Quote: I've been trying to sleep with my mask and cpap for two weeks now. It has been a real struggle. During the night I am constantly adjusting and fixing my mask. I know it leaks a lot during the night.

Call the company who provided the mask and tell them this. It's extremely common to have a mask that doesn't fit well. It's standard to have to try several different brands and styles until we find one that fits us well. Your provider will be able to exchange your mask, and should do it for free.

Quote:My cpap machine does have a smart card. What does it capture and how can it help me?

This depends on which ResMed machine you have. If it's a model with the name "Escape" in it, the card won't record much more than the number of hours of use. If that's the case, call your provider and tell them you want a data-capable machine. Then you'll be able to tell how many times you stop breathing during the night, how much you're leaking, and lots more. This information can be used to make adjustments to the machine, dramatically improving the effectiveness of your therapy.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-29-2012, 08:23 PM)Auggie Doggie Wrote: So far, I am as tired and no energy as before I did my sleep study.

Hi Augie [or should I be more formal and say Hi Mr Doggie?]

As one new member to another, welcome aboard to Apnea Board! (And I certainly hope you can take a bad joke in stride...)

Seriously, it would help folks to help you if you could try to fill out your machine model name, and mask model name. You may need help in finding the model names - in which case, please don't be shy to ask for help.

My recommendation is, if your ResMed machine has Escape in the name, you should ask right away to have it exchanged (upgraded) to the standard S9 AutoSet model (not "S9 Escape Auto" model). Since you are not feeling an improvement using your CPAP machine, perhaps your pressure needs adjustment, and an S9 AutoSet model would be able to adjust your pressure to what you need automatically.

The problem with the Escape models is twofold: (1) They do not detect Central Sleep Apnea (CSA) events, which are important to detect and take into account and report. (2) The S9 Escape Auto model, unlike the standard S9 AutoSet model, when in Auto mode (which is the mode to be in to let it adjust the pressure automatically) uses an older, simpler algorithm which is limited to a max pressure of 10 (because it does not take CSA events into account).

Regarding what pressure your machine is set at, when you are using the machine (and you may need to be wearing your mask, and with Ramp either turned off or after the Ramp has finished and risen to the full normal pressure) the machine may show on its LCD screen it's pressure setting.

Hang in there. Treating your Sleep Anea is critically important to the rest of your (hopefully long and productive) life! Take good care of yourself. The effort you invest will eventually yield many happy returns!

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
As Trish put eloquently CPAP therapy takes a lots of time and patience so hang on - It took me 6 masks and 6 months to start feeling better and get a decent sleep with the mask. There are some who feel immediate effects but are few and far between. You going to have some teething problems just like every body else but you can work it out and make therapy work for you. The mask is the key - Find the right one to wear comfortably through the night and you,re on your way.
It would come a time when you start to feel better and realize that the journey has been worth it. There,re a lots of information on board, you only have to search for it
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...CPAP_users
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-29-2012, 08:23 PM)Auggie Doggie Wrote: Hi, I was recently diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnea. Not really sure what all that means. I've been trying to sleep with my mask and cpap for two weeks now. It has been a real struggle. During the night I am constantly adjusting and fixing my mask. I know it leaks a lot during the night. My cpap machine does have a smart card. What does it capture and how can it help me? Where can I get the software to read the card?

Not sure if I'll ever get used to this machine. The person that fit me for the cpap said I would feel an immediate difference. So far, I am as tired and no energy as before I did my sleep study.

Thanks
FrankHuhsign

Good morning Auggie Welcome

First of all, you got some good advice here already. Let me add a few things though. The person who told you that you would see an immediate improvement spoke out of ignorance. While it is true that some people do notice an immediate improvement, some people take quite awhile to actually feel the effects from this therapy. Let's say that every day one week you have to be up really late, let's say midnight, then you have to get up at 4:00 every morning that week to get to work. Let's say that you need 8 hours of sleep every night to feel refreshed. You are racking up 4 hours a night of sleep debt. By the end of the week you would be 20 hours behind. Sleep 10 hours on Saturday is still going to put you 18 hours behind your sleep debt! Sleep Apnea is like that. If you quit breathing all night your total amount of restful sleep in an 8 hour period may only be a couple of hours. Now if this goes on for years before you are diagnosed and treated, you would have racked up quite a debt there! It is going to take quite a bit more than one night on a machine to feel like you are getting better!
As far as your mask goes, my suggestion would be to fiddle with it during your non-sleep time. Masks should not be tight up against your face, but they should be somewhat loose as they have inflatable cushions that use the air from your xPAP to inflate and create the seal. It is best to go into your bedroom, lay down and try to get it adjusted with the machine running, during a non-sleep time so that your sleep can be more productive. Your DME (Durable Medical Equipment provider) that gave you the machine and mask should be able to assist you with the mask leakage. Make them take the time to help you, and not just sitting in a chair with no air running! Take your machine in have them show you haw to adjust it and if necessary lay on the floor or whatever, roll around a bit! Also though you do need to be aware that you may have to change the way you sleep, positionally, to maintain your mask seal. Look at it as a work in progress! Smile
Good luck!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome.

The first step is to tell us what machine you have.

Look next to the power button. It should say something like Escape, Elite, AutoSet, etc.

Where does the hose come out of the machine?
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
[quote='Auggie Doggie' pid='15344' dateline='1343611401']
Hi, I was recently diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnea. Not really sure what all that means. I've been trying to sleep with my mask and cpap for two weeks now. It has been a real struggle. During the night I am constantly adjusting and fixing my mask. I know it leaks a lot during the night. My cpap machine does have a smart card. What does it capture and how can it help me? Where can I get the software to read the card?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum Auggie. My provider said I would likely not see a noticeable improvement for 3 months or so. In my case, I felt great after a few nights. If you need to keep adjusting your mask...maybe they have fit you with one that won't work for you. It will get better though....it takes a while to get used to all the new equipment. I started in April, and did pretty well. Only a few weeks ago I switched to a different mask...and had another great improvement. Give it some time, and all the best to you.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2012, 02:33 PM)archangle Wrote: Welcome.

The first step is to tell us what machine you have.

I am using the Res Med Escape.

Look next to the power button. It should say something like Escape, Elite, AutoSet, etc.

Where does the hose come out of the machine?

It comes out of the back part of the humidifier.
Thanks
Frank
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ReMed Airsense software/firmware Ralph436 22 1,124 01-23-2024, 11:55 AM
Last Post: george1945
  Contec CMS50E Pulse Oximeter Software John7 0 382 11-12-2023, 09:18 AM
Last Post: John7
  [Equipment] Which 24 Hr Oximeter to buy & PC/Tablet compatible software EasySleep 0 340 11-08-2023, 08:26 AM
Last Post: EasySleep
  Lowenstein Software shawsg 2 586 09-27-2023, 12:10 PM
Last Post: shawsg
  AirSense 11 Stopped Transmitting ?Related to Software Update? YankeeLaker 57 7,079 08-19-2023, 09:54 AM
Last Post: jijididit
  Lumis 100 and correct software for reading a sleep data?? doognibor 3 644 08-08-2023, 02:19 PM
Last Post: Dire
  AirSense 11 water / humidity / software incident rpierce 5 1,198 07-31-2023, 08:53 PM
Last Post: rpierce

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.