Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ear Issues with CPAP
Ear Issues with CPAP
Anyone have issues with a sore ear in the morning? (note: this is my right ear. I sleep on the left).

I have always had periodic ear issues. As a child, I needed an ear operation (mastoidectomy in my right ear), and I currently wear hearing aids. I also have allergies.

While I find the warm, moist air of my apnea machine really helps me to breathe, I'm wondering if my ear issues are related to this same air.

Looking forward to hearing some responses.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Ear Issues with CPAP
CPAP can pressurize the inner ear putting pressure on the tympanic membrane (aka: ear drum).
This sometimes causes discomfort; but should not be painful.

[Image: Blausen_0328_EarAnatomy.png]
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-25-2016, 07:09 AM)Dramagal27 Wrote: Anyone have issues with a sore ear in the morning? (note: this is my right ear. I sleep on the left).

I have always had periodic ear issues. As a child, I needed an ear operation (mastoidectomy in my right ear), and I currently wear hearing aids. I also have allergies.

While I find the warm, moist air of my apnea machine really helps me to breathe, I'm wondering if my ear issues are related to this same air.

Looking forward to hearing some responses.

I also have had periodic ear issues. I, too, had a mastoidectomy when I was a teenager and I also have allergies. You might want to ask your ENT doctor if an allergy tablet would be of benefit to you. That is what my ENT doctor recommended to me during the height of allergy season. I don't have ear pain from cpap machine and I've been using cpap since 2009. If it was me, I would definitely see the ear doctor and explain your situation.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Dramagal27,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might talk to your doc about this and ask about getting something for your allergies, hang in there for more suggestions and good luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
My answer to the ear problem. Over a year later and never have ear trouble anymore.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid106565

Now somewhere was a post that explained the proper way to use nasal sprays to be of the most benefit to ears.....
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Correct Use of Nasal Sprays to Treat Eustachian Tube Dysfunction
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply
Turns out my issue may be a TMJ issue (found this out after further research). I don't think it's the CPAP machine causing the issues. I think it's the chin strap. Thoughts anyone??

Btw: I have worn a mouthguard for years. I clench, not grind my teeth.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't get ear pain, but I did have TMJ pain after starting CPAP. This gradually went away over the course of a few weeks. I think it was my body adjusting to the new sensations.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have TMJ too. With an AirFit P10 (strap at top of head and at base of skull) nothing is really pulling on my jaw, so I'm not aware of any worsening from the CPAP. However, I spend my whole day consciously slackening my jaw, and being aware of loosening the jaw muscle. I sometimes wear my 2nd bite guard (I wear two, non releated, but they happen to be upper and lower, so I can wear both every night) during the day, to keep the jaws apart without requiring the focussed attention.

At the beginning of this summer, I had a 6+ week long headache, and could barely open one eye at bright lights. I finally traced the problem to the muscles of the face, not the vision --- and THAT problem was eventually fixed by an antibiotic for an otherwise non-symptomatic sinus infection. The muscle strain --- at my eye, but connected to the TMJ issues -- disappeared immediately after the first antibiotic dose took hold. The only moral I can see is: the sinuses and the TMJ and the whole face are connected. So suspect all of the parts!

Which isn't immediately helpful to you, but might make you think of something. Could the CPAP be giving you sinus problems??
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 47 Yesterday, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 9 184 03-26-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Luka07
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 108 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  Airsense 10 Issues cgries2448 0 155 03-09-2024, 03:31 PM
Last Post: cgries2448
  issues during REM sleep... ifsmithy 5 212 03-04-2024, 12:09 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  After major surgery Issues DANNOGA 5 249 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.