Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] CPAP and the flu.
CPAP and the flu.
I just got my S9 humidity level and temp setup and I contracted the flu, the non-stop coughing fits (4-5 coughs on top of each other) has stopped me from using my S9.

My question is: "if and when I can get back to using my S9, is there any possibility of any left over of the flu virus in my lungs making it into the S9 and breeding in there, only to re-infect me?
Pedro
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP and the flu.
(09-16-2012, 08:57 AM)subyroo Wrote: My question is: "if and when I can get back to using my S9, is there any possibility of any left over of the flu virus in my lungs making it into the S9 and breeding in there, only to re-infect me?[/size]

Pathogens cannot hitch a ride on the water molecules that evaporate from the water in the tank because they are too large. Even if there were pathogens in the tank they cannot get into the hose.

Also, the airflow is outward, so the only way pathogens can get from you into the tank is if you cough or sneeze into it, or if you experience rainout (water buildup in the hose) that runs back into the tank.

Furthermore, if the water in the tank is pure there will be no food for the pathogens to eat, so they will not be able to reproduce. And besides, bacteria and viruses that cause disease generally have very specific requirements for staying alive, e.g., a particular temperature range, must be kept in a moist environment, etc. Most cannot live for long outside of a host body.

And finally, you cannot infect yourself. "Getting over the flu" means your immune system has learned how to deal with the specific flu virus that caused the infection. You now have a natural immunity to that virus. If one does wander into your body your immune system will promptly nuke it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi subyroo, First, I hope you get to feeling better. I would just clean your machine parts regularly. If you browse the forum, you will find some threads dealing with cleaning. I think there is also another thread dealing with CPAP and the flu, as well. Get well soon.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Yet another reason FFMs are a bad idea unless you can't make a nasal mask work.

Did you ever try a nasal mask, or did a DME just stick you with a FFM because it was easier for him?
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2012, 04:35 PM)archangle Wrote: or did a DME just stick you with a FFM because it was easier for him?
Yes and wasn't him ... Her [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRvBTNB01DYDC_6Akikivh...ZBYtkVq2ZQ]

Post Reply Post Reply
I have found that using my mask when I have a lung issue actually helps. I had really bad bronchitis last year (doc said it could have also been pneumonia but the treatment was the same). Using my CPAP and its humidifier really helped. I realized how good I felt when I woke up vs the end of the day so I got a small, desktop size humidifier to put in my office. When I was finally over it, I got a new mask and hose and tossed the old stuff.

Wash the mask daily and wash it well.

Try a nasal saline rinse, as well.

Use your humidifier as it can help your lungs. Dump the water, rinse it, and let it air dry.

The only place your germs are going to go is into the mask. I sincerely doubt they can go against the flow and get into the hose itself.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to all who replied, info has been taken onboard.

Archangel, am I'm reading you wrong or do you need to go back to bed and get out the other side? Unsure
You have replied to 2 of my threads and both have had negative undertones to them. Huh
Pedro
Post Reply Post Reply
Nipping this in the bud.

If you read over Archangel's posts, you will see he tends to be blunt and to the point. Some people like that, some do not.

We allow open discussions of opinions on sleep apnea topics. We do not allow discussing the person for having that opinion nor the way they present it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-17-2012, 12:45 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Nipping this in the bud.

If you read over Archangel's posts, you will see he tends to be blunt and to the point. Some people like that, some do not.

We allow open discussions of opinions on sleep apnea topics. We do not allow discussing the person for having that opinion nor the way they present it.

Ok! Thanks for the heads up.

Pedro
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2012, 10:34 AM)JJJ Wrote: And finally, you cannot infect yourself. "Getting over the flu" means your immune system has learned how to deal with the specific flu virus that caused the infection. You now have a natural immunity to that virus. If one does wander into your body your immune system will promptly nuke it.

True. But that virus can mutate, and when the mutated virus reinfects you your immune system may not be able to fight it off because it's different from the original.

This is why some people recommend you get a new toothbrush when you've just gotten over the flu or a cold.

You ever notice that sometimes when you finally get over the flu or a cold you get a mini-relapse?

Anyway, to the OP, just make sure you take the regular precaution of washing your mask and hose in hot soapy water.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.