Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] CPAP exercises to cure OSA?
CPAP exercises to cure OSA?
This is a portion of a full article I pulled. This is a curious approach. I wonder if any of you are familiar with this............

Specialized CPAP exercises:

Things You'll Need
sleep apnea condition
Show More Instructions

Repeat your vowels for three minutes strait to help treat sleep apnea.

This is going to feel silly, exaggerating the tone of each vowel will help make this exercise for sleep apnea stretch out your throat.

Push your tongue firmly against the back of your front teeth and slide it to the the back of your mouth for three minutes.

Purse your mouth firmly and hold for thirty seconds. Performing these sleep apnea treatment exercises makes you feel pretty cool doesn't it?

Contract the muscles of the back of the throat for another thirty seconds or so. You may feel kind of like a frog doing this sleep apnea exercise.

Force your lower jaw to the left for thirty seconds. Now back to the right for thirty seconds.

Perform these throat exercises on a daily basis if you suffer from mild sleep apnea. Studies have shown that this can be an effective sleep apnea treatment.

I am not sure about the validity of such exercises...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP exercises to cure OSA?
There has been a lot written and talked about, and also some research done, concerning the value of exercises to strengthen the muscles in the throat, reducing the number of obstructive apneas. There may be something to it.

If you are proficient with your data-capable CPAP machine, you might be able to monitor your progress. See if the number of obstructive apneas reduces as you exercise. You may be able to lower your pressure and reduce the number of obstructive apneas you experience. You should consult with your doctor. Sometimes an oral appliance can help, too.

I know that CPAP therapy works for me. I'm open to trying things like the exercises and the dental appliances while I stay on CPAP therapy. If the data shows I can go without CPAP therapy, then I will. But right now the data shows I need CPAP therapy, so I'm sticking with it. For the rest of my life if I have to. Without CPAP therapy I feel like crap every day, especially in the morning; I have high blood pressure, and an increased risk of heart disease and stroke. Maybe cancer, too.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
interesting....I wonder if other exercises pose a direct benefit, like bodyweight exercises (via military like style)...have you or anyone you know gone this direction?
Post Reply Post Reply
Just thinking out loud....

These muscles (the tongue, the throat) are voluntary muscles meaning we control them directly. When we sleep, we relax. So do these muscles.

I understand the concept of these exercises but I just don't understand how making them "stronger" is going to make them not still relax and collapse. If this were the case, there would be no trained singer who has sleep apnea. Nor anyone who is a public speaker and has had training in how to project their voice.

Add into the mix that fit muscles are bigger than unfit. So you'd think they would take up more room and be more prone to collapsing in our sleep.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
According to the British Medical Journal, playing the didgeridoo can help sleep apnea patients
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...leep-Apnea

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Day_3_...one_17.JPG
Post Reply Post Reply
yes..i have seen footage on that...i am still searching for a legitimate exercise plan that supports and controls sleep apnea (mild cases)...still searchin...
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-28-2012, 01:37 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I understand the concept of these exercises but I just don't understand how making them "stronger" is going to make them not still relax and collapse. If this were the case, there would be no trained singer who has sleep apnea. Nor anyone who is a public speaker and has had training in how to project their voice.

Because of the exercise, perhaps there is less fatty tissue in regions near the muscle?

And to show the effect, all you'd have to show is that within professions where vocal exercises are required, OSA is less likely.

No one with credibility is promoting it as a cure-all. It's just that in the cases of some patients, it may make a difference that's significant enough to either reduce the titrated pressure, or remove the need for CPAP therapy altogether. Especially when combined with an oral appliance. The same is true of the various surgeries designed to relieve OSA.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-28-2012, 12:51 PM)sleepykick Wrote: interesting....I wonder if other exercises pose a direct benefit, like bodyweight exercises (via military like style)...have you or anyone you know gone this direction?

If being overweight is the cause of your OSA, then losing weight can reduce or eliminate it. Exercise helps you lose weight.

It also helps you sleep better, so it'll increase the effectiveness of CPAP therapy in that you'll feel better. Feeling better is one of the great benefits of CPAP therapy.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Journey to cure UARS. OSCAR data attached gzaw 5 929 03-19-2024, 03:39 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  What my apnea cure looked like progman 7 198 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 205 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea NewlyDiagnosed 8 399 02-26-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 168 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie
  [Mod Note] Prevention rather than Cure ? - Thread Closed Micheal.M 37 2,710 06-28-2022, 07:34 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.