Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] CPAP mask sleep deprived
CPAP mask sleep deprived
I am a new member and have been in the forums and appreciate the advice. I need advice and am discouraged about using CPAP. I am losing sleep over trying to get used to the equipment. My numbers are getting worse. I am on my second mask and cannot get used to it. I am having a hard time getting a different mask, the CPAP provider cannot see me for a couple of weeks. I think my pressure is too high but at the beginning of the ramp up I cannot get enough air. I am not sure how long I can persist in this journey. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP mask sleep deprived
Hi pafarrell and welcome to Apnea Board.

Here's a few things to try to help:

Download OSCAR onto your PC, use it with an SD card that has overnight sleep data off your CPAP. Post screenshots from OSCAR here for members to view and suggest by what we see. It already sounds like pressure setting edits would help, but it's best to advise after seeing the data.

Get a detailed copy of the sleep study and post a redacted version here to add to info so that it helps us know what apnea types you're dealing with.

Masks are the most important and hardest part to get right. Changing brands, cushion sizes, adjustments, all affect how well it will work for you.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, the ramp is the easiest problem to solve. You can change the ramp time and starting pressure. I think the default is 4, which is too low for almost everyone. Most people end up not using it once they get used to the machine, but for now, I would set      both to whatever you feel comfortable with. Maybe 7 as a starting pressure and 15 minutes?

What do you have EPR set to?

You list your pressure as 10. Are you using CPAP mode or Autoset?

What is bothering you about the mask? Leaks? The pressure on your face? Straps? Just the lack of air at the beginning of the ramp? Claustrophobia?

Do you practice wearing the mask during the day? Some say to do it with just the mask. I practiced with the mask and machine, otherwise I felt air-starved.

Numbers getting worse may just mean you aren’t sleeping well. My numbers always look bad when I sleep poorly, because it registers a lot of false events. I tend to hold my breath whenever I turn or as I am falling asleep or waking up.

You will be able to get better help with your numbers once you download Oscar and post your data.

It does get better. I now find the machine relaxing.
Post Reply Post Reply
The RAMP typically starts at 4, which is usually not enough, turn off your RAMP and post OSCAR Daily charts and that will allow us to post very specific advice. See my signature (Organization link)
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your replies. I did not use my CPAP Thursday night and felt good in the morning, not as sleep deprived. I will try to answer your questions and post my OSCAR screen shot.

EPR is set to 1.0, the tech in the clinic turned it down remotely. I am not sure about the mode, maybe Autoset.
Difficulties with the masks:
Fisher & Pakel Simplus Full Face Mask SL - Medium - pressure on my nose bridge, the mask left a red mark on my nose. This mask was used on my titration sleep study and it was very uncomfortable and I could hardly sleep at all. If I try to sleep on my side it causes leaks.
ResMed AirFit F30 - I feel like I am trying to breathe through a pool cover. If my mouth is open my stomach flls with air. It feels like someone is trying to smother me. The holes for my nose don't always line up and it irritates my nose. It feels like it is filling with drool. At the beginning of ramp up, I cannot get enough air as my nose seems restricted.
I have practiced wearing the mask during the day. Sometimes I gasp with the mask on.

I switched back to the F&P Simplus mask last night and used the cervical collar. I also tried a CPAP pillow. it went a little better but the mask came off after 1.5 hours.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi. Welcome!

Sometimes you have to cycle through dozens of masks to find the one that works. And sometimes the one that works changes with time.  My sleep doctor told me to use pure lanolin on the edge of the mask and that has helped alot with irritation.

Learning to wear and tolerate CPAP is hard for most people. Definitely changing EPR will help. Try a bunch of different settings and find one that you can comfortably (not air starved and not struggling to exhale) lay down a read or watch t.v. Keep at it every day for a while.  Maybe you can use it to 5 min one day or 10 min another day. I didnt even attempt to use mine at night for weeks.

I noticed something that happened with time and it was that my diaphragm took over the exhaling portion (the hardest part for me to tolerate) and I didnt need to struggle to use all the accessory muscles to breathe.

Keep at it, be patient and kind to yourself for doing something that is very, very difficult.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here are some of my Oscar screen shots:

[attachment=16722][attachment=16723][attachment=16724]
Post Reply Post Reply
I followed the instructions for attaching my Oscar files but it didn't work. Please advise.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-02-2019, 09:27 PM)pafarrell Wrote: I followed the instructions for attaching my Oscar files but it didn't work. Please advise.

Looks like you missed a step with the attachments.

Read this post on how to attach screenshots:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ttachments
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the club, I started in September and am still trialling different Pap machines, I am presently using a Vpap machine as I get a lot central apnea's, and the masks drive you crazy, I have tried quite a few but am settling with the Resmen F30i  with a chin strap, as with a full mask it as hard as hell to scratch that itch.
I could have went though a governement Cpap organisation, but I decided to go with a smaller privately owned one, where I can contact or SMS them anytime if I am having problems.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 188 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Needing help fixing my sleep with cpap nunogarcia 2 161 03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 3 181 03-11-2024, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,080 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 484 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 203 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.