Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] CPAP mask sleep deprived
RE: CPAP mask sleep deprived
The F&P Simplus, the lesser of the two evils,  is still uncomfortable as it puts a lot of pressure on the bridge of my nose and my lower lip can come out of the seal. I think the medium is too small for me. The Resmed Airfit F30 is worse in that I feel like someone duct taped my mouth and nose and I cannot get enough air when I start. If my mouth is open I get a stomach full of air. The nostril holes don't line up well with my nose and restrict my nose breathing. When I wake up my nose is irritated from the edge of the holes pressing against my nose. I have switched back to the Simplus because it is slightly more tolerable and seems to be working better with me on my side with the CPAP pillow. My numbers have improved with this combo.
I have requested a new mask but cannot get in to the CPAP clinic until the 12th of this month. I will see what options they can offer. 

Thanks for your patience with me as I try to sort this out.

paf
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-05-2019, 07:45 AM)pafarrell Wrote: The F&P Simplus, the lesser of the two evils,  is still uncomfortable as it puts a lot of pressure on the bridge of my nose and my lower lip can come out of the seal. I think the medium is too small for me. The Resmed Airfit F30 is worse in that I feel like someone duct taped my mouth and nose and I cannot get enough air when I start. If my mouth is open I get a stomach full of air. The nostril holes don't line up well with my nose and restrict my nose breathing. When I wake up my nose is irritated from the edge of the holes pressing against my nose. I have switched back to the Simplus because it is slightly more tolerable and seems to be working better with me on my side with the CPAP pillow. My numbers have improved with this combo.
I have requested a new mask but cannot get in to the CPAP clinic until the 12th of this month. I will see what options they can offer. 

Thanks for your patience with me as I try to sort this out.

paf

I cannot understand why Resmed has only one size mouthpiece and a number of nasal sizes with its F30 full face mask, as everyone has a different size and mouth width, I have gone back the N30i with the large nasal pillows and a chin strap and my AHI have come to well under 5, the full face mask are terrible
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your reply. I agree and look forward to trying alternatives. The clinic is sending me an F20 in a large.
I think with the cervical collar and the CPAP pillow, I am experiencing neck pain/stiffness. I am going to try a chinstrap instead of the collar and we will see.

paf
Post Reply Post Reply
Like you say resmed masks have the same mouth width on medium or large cushions. 

I have many masks & the only one I have that is a little wider is the Liberty mirage (1/4 "). Some call it a Hybrid mask.

It's a mouth piece with pillows. It comes with s/m/l pillows that you can interchange if your nares aren't the same size. You can assemble the cushion with a medium on one side & a large pillow on the other side. 

They have 2 mouth piece size S/L, but like the other masks they figure the difference between size not in the width, but in the space between nose & chin.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Still struggling to find a mask that works. Very frustrating, my numbers are getting worse.

paf
Post Reply Post Reply
Still struggling to find the right mask. Two nights on the Resmed Swift FX have been horrible. It was hard to fall asleep because I felt I couldn't get enough air through my nose. I think my mouth opened creating a large leak and the mask came off in 1.5 to 2 hours. I would appreciate any insight or thoughts. I cannot think of a good mask configuration for continuing the therapy. Sad

Post Reply Post Reply
Trying to upload last nights Oscar data

wednesday nite

Post Reply Post Reply
Finding the mask that will work for you can be frustrating, as you know all too well. Everyone's face and sleep habits are different, so it is hard to offer advice about specific masks to try.

But here are a few more generic thoughts. First, try googling "cpap mask liners." Some people find that using a liner relieves pain from a pressure point and helps to reduce leaks. If a liner works for you, you might be able to make your own from old t-shirts or other soft fabric.

Second, for a sore nose, try Lanisoh. It is made for nursing mothers, but it does a good job for CPAP users as well, promoting healing and comfort. I usually put some on in the a.m. If you use it at night, just use a tiny amount so you don't cause your mask to slip and slide.

Third, try turning off your ramp, or at least raising its starting point to around 6 or 7. Many people feel air-starved when their pressure is low.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reply. I will try turning up the ramp start pressure and may try the mask liners. I am trying to persevere , but I understand why some people give up.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm glad you plan to persevere.

Quick check: when you switch back and forth between the full-face and pillow masks, do you change the mask type on your machine?

Also, with the pillow mask, if you used a small or medium nasal interface, might you want to try going up a size? The sleep tech started me on small with the P10, which was awful, I went to medium, and then at the suggestion of someone on the Board I tried the large, which was a lot more "airier" and comfortable.

Finally, are mouth leaks your main problem with a pillow mask? If so, do you consider trying a cervical collar and/or mouth tape? If you ever want to give either option a try, let us know. I can offer some suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 4 258 04-11-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  New to CPAP and struggling with my mask. jmswjunk4 2 74 04-11-2024, 10:21 AM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 106 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Cpap Mask Marks on Face and neck newtothis1 3 125 04-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
  [CPAP] Help keeping mask on/less fragmented sleep jblack33 8 257 04-05-2024, 09:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Using CPAP machine to perform Sleep test ivan007 3 146 04-02-2024, 03:28 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 7 314 03-30-2024, 05:58 PM
Last Post: FlyAU98

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.