Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] CPAP mask sleep deprived
RE: CPAP mask sleep deprived
Thanks again.
Yes, I change the machine settings to match the mask type.
I will try to up size the nasal pillows. I think with the Swift FX my mouth comes open causing massive leaks.
I am currently using a cervical collar and the numbers are better with it, however, this has caused pain in my neck and I am seeing a Chiropractor for it. I have tried a chin strap with no apparent success. It also seems I have way to much stuff wrapped around my head to be comfortable. Also, I have a beard and mustache but keep it trimmed close, <1/4".
I am currently back on the Resmed, Airtouch F20, large with the foam seal. I sleep on my side and cannot make it through the night with this mask which seems to be the least worse of my bad options at this point. I have plenty of duplicates of masks that don't work. Sad
Any recommendations welcome.
Post Reply Post Reply
If the cervical collar is causing lasting pain, stop right away!  Beware the cure being worse than the disease ...

With regards to a chin strap, try the Knightsbridge Dual Band.  I'm a big fan and it has gotten good reviews here with others.  It lifts your jaw from below rather than pushing your jaw into your jaw joint, which is what the standard neoprene ones do.  And there are two bands, one elastic and one non-elastic, so it can be adjusted to use almost no force but still keep your jaw up.

Or try mouth tape.  Here is a good recent thread on that: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...mouth-shut
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you have a cpap pillow? And mouth tape was the only way I could use pillows when I tried them. Other wise air would escape constantly no matter what. Somnifix is what I used for mouth tape. Works great after you get over the initial anxiety of having your mouth taped shut. Very weird at first
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
I assume you don't mean a nasal pillow mask, but rather a special pillow for laying your head on?  ... Yes, I do use a nasal pillows mask.  And I use a normal pillow. 

I tried some mouth tapes.  And I tried mouth tape with the Knightsbridge Dual Band initially.  That might have helped on my learning curve, I'm not sure.  Now all I need to prevent mouth leaks is the Knightsbridge.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dormeo, I think there are 2 different people in this thread asking for advice. LeonardoDR could you start your own thread please this is Pafarrell’s thread and it causing confusion as to the issue pafarrell is having. Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, it is a special pillow with cutaways on the sides to prevent side pressure on the CPAP mask.
I have also tried the Swift FX nasal pillow style mask but did not have success when air escaped through my mouth.

I may have to try the tape.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-28-2019, 06:34 PM)pafarrell Wrote: Yes, it is a special pillow with cutaways on the sides to prevent side pressure on the CPAP mask.
I have also tried the Swift FX nasal pillow style mask but did not have success when air escaped through my mouth.

I may have to try the tape.

If you try the taping method it may cause some anxiety. Just breath deep through your nose and relax into it and it’ll be no big deal once the anxiety subsides. Using pillows have resulted in some of the best sleep I’ve had in 20 years. Almost none existent AHI, very few flow limitations and all that with relatively low pressure throughout the night. I switched back to my F30 last weekend and the pressure always ends up to about 17. With pillows it’s never gone over 13. The only time I get any issues is when I don’t put the tape on straight and it ends up peeling up and air comes out of the corner off my mouth and the snoring begins because I’m losing pressure and the high flow limitations start up. 

Just some food for thought
Post Reply Post Reply

I have been away from the forum for awhile, NOT because CPAP is going well, so here is an update:

I am still struggling with the CPAP mask war.  After 6-8 different styles of masks, full face, hybrid nasal/mask and nasal pillows I cannot make it long before I remove the (annoying, irritating & intrusive) mask so I can get some sleep. I either feel like I am struggling for air(simulated asthma) or all the stuff on my face and head is so irritating, I cannot sleep with it on and remove it.   I have tried a cervical collar, chin strap, mouth tape and a CPAP infusion device to help keep my sinuses clear. I am discouraged and frustrated and am thinking I wish I had never started with CPAP. The nightly struggle to make it work has only resulted in lost sleep and frustration. I have not realized any benefit from CPAP and it seems I am pursuing the unattainable. When I read of other successes, I feel maybe it is not for me. My sleep clinic/CPAP tech is out of options for achieving success. If you have other suggestions, I have not considered in this thread, please reply. I am one sleep deprived night away from giving up on CPAP.

PAF
Post Reply Post Reply
I can completely understand your frustration, and being in a sleep-deprived state is not exactly conducive to self-calming. But I hope very much you will persevere, because apnea is a serious disease.

Did you ever try a large Simplus? Have you tried mask liners, which might help to improve comfort for your skin and reduce the level of leaks?

And have you considered talking with your doctor about some prescription medications that might help you feel calmer in wearing the mask? I can recall a few forum members (here or on another forum -- don't remember which) who did this for a couple of weeks to get through a period of necessary adjustment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your reply.
I have a medium Simplus that seems to put a lot of pressure on the bridge of my nose, it leaves a red mark that lasts most of the day.  I may try a large to see if that helps.  My DME provider will probably give me whatever will help me succeed.
I have not tried mask liners. Is there a brand or style you would recommend? That might be helpful as I find the rubber/silicone seals to be irritating after a while. I also don't tolerate the edge of the nasal holes on the nasal hybrid masks.
I have been taking a 10 mg melatonin supplement every night since I started trying to use CPAP.  I usually have a worse night when I forget to take it so I think it is effective. I am not sure why when I awake after 1-2 hours, take off the mask and cannot get back to sleep right away. If I try again on the mask, it seems like I am laboring to breathe and get frustrated and remove the mask to get some sleep for what remains of the night. I wake at 5:30 am no matter how little sleep I get. By 3-4 pm I cannot stay awake and am not efficient at all.
I am not sure the next step as far as the doctor I see. I saw a PA at the sleep clinic who was very helpful. Other than that I have been passed off tho the technicians at the CPAP clinic. I may schedule a consult to see what she recommends.
I am willing to try anything at this point.  As my OSA is in the mild range, it is hard for me to balance the effort and struggle this has taken with the potential results of a few points off my AHI.
Thanks again for the reply, this forum has been more helpful than most of my health providers.
PAF
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 190 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Needing help fixing my sleep with cpap nunogarcia 2 162 03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 166 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 3 186 03-11-2024, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,081 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 489 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 204 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.