Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] CPAP noise when inhaling
CPAP noise when inhaling
Hi, I am new to this forum site and have only had my CPAP machine for 2 days but have already changed it on the second day with a noise problem. The CPAP is a Philips REMstar Auto Reflex System One with a built in humidifier.
My problem is the amplified noise the machine makes when I inhale. My wife has very good hearing and has had little sleep for 2 nights due to the noise of my breathing from the machine. I took it back to the hospital on day 2 and they swapped it for a new machine which I then put into the wardrobe next to our bed and fed the tube out through the closed door. I find it quite quiet but my wife does not. Is there any way of reducing the sound this machine makes when inhaling. It is presently set on level 5 on the dial which I think is the heat control for the humidifier.
If there is no answer to this problem does anyone want to buy a caravan as she is refusing to go on holiday with me and the machine
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP noise when inhaling
G'day paintermac, welcome to the forum.

If you've got the machine in the wardrobe and it's still too loud there is something wrong. I suspect the noise might actually be coming from the mask rather than the machine itself. Perhaps your wife could check this?

The setting of 5 would be for the humidifier as you suggest and shouldn't have any effect on the noise.

Finally - you can keep the caravan! Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
Do determine if it is the MASK or the MACHINE.

Sounds like the machine since you went to the trouble of putting *IT* in the wardrobe but USUALLY the MASKS are what make noise, mostly from LEAKS, especially UNINTENDED LEAKS (these masks are DESIGNED to leak in a controlled manner.)

Sorry to be blunt, but either she may be hyper-sensitive or the machine could be faulty (you exchanged it so the machine is not likely the culprit.)

We sleep with a fan running -- the machine is quieter than the fan.

Consider adding a fan -- if she can stand that -- or perhaps a white noise machine. If the CHANGING sound of the machine is what disturbs here, then perhaps by smoothing it out with some low level constant sound she will be more comfortable.

After that: Buy her earplugs -- lots of ear plugs. Point out that it is better to have the machine noise than snoring, and it is better to keep the machine than to LOSE YOU to Heart Disease or several other health problems associated with OSA.

If it is the mask, then try the Resmed Airfit P10 nasal pillow mask -- as long as you can breath through your nose and keep your mouth shut.

It's available from "vendor #1" for $100 (if you must pay) and comes with FREE SHIPPING and FREE RETURN INSURANCE.

The FREE RETURN INSURANCE means you really can't lose. That vender is adamant about giving you your money back if you don't want the mask (really.)

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Paul
Thanks for the suggestion. I will ask "She Who Must Be Obeyed" about the mask just as soon as we start speaking again.
Are you sure about not wanting the caravan? I could arrange delivery and remember we both drive on the correct side of the road so the van is right.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome fellow hosehead Smile

Tell her you are secretly trying to fulfill her Darth Vader fantasy? Hmm course, if she was Lea...how does that go again??

Granted, it's been almost 11yrs now, but my wife went from hating my dream machine (and mask), to loving the 'white noise' it makes, to now being on a CPAP herself. Try begging for a 'stay of execution', perhaps? Time will really help - honest.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the system one also and the only problem I had as far as noise goes was I was hearing a very slight vibration type noise. I fixed that by just putting a towel under it to absorb any vibration. Works fine, but my machine makes no noise at all in response to my breathing. Sometimes my mask does and I find that extremely annoying, but I just pull it away from my face, with it running, and then gently lay it back in place on my face. This allows for the seals to be fully inflated with air before it sits on my face. You may need to work on the fitment of your mask. It could be you have it too tight or too loose and you maybe have a slight leak. Are you using the ramp feature? Maybe you are not getting enough air if the ramp is set very low and you are sucking air in through the vent in the mask to compensate for the low flow. Just some thoughts.
Mike
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi paintermac,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You could try to put something underneath it, such as a towell, and hopefully that will make it quieter.
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd not wait until night to find the source of the noise. Set everything up. Put on the mask. Then have her try to track down the source. You said she has great hearing. Praise her hearing, tell her it is going to come in handy and only she can do this for you. Blah blah. Whatever works, right?

My guess is it is the mask if it is still loud enough for her to hear even if the machine is locked away.

If that is the case, have her go with you to the mask place and you two work together to find a mask that fits you yet is quiet for her.

Do you use a full face mask because you sleep with your mouth open and breathe through it? Have you considered a nasal mask or nasal pillow with chin strap? Some of the nasal pillows now are very, very quiet.

And ear plugs are very, very cheap. They come in packs of up to 10, I think.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2014, 08:25 AM)paintermac Wrote: Are you sure about not wanting the caravan? I could arrange delivery and remember we both drive on the correct side of the road so the van is right.

Well, if you're paying for delivery that's different! And yes, having a right-hand drive caravan is very important. I don't know how they manage in Europe and the US. Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi All
Thank you all for your welcoming, helpful and informative suggestions to help solve my noise problem.
I took on board all your tips and eventually combined them by placing on a towel, covering with another towel and locking in the wardrobe. Unfortunately she kept knocking on the door to be let out and I still could not sleep.
Actually I lied about that but it did work when I did it all to the CPAP.
"She Who Must Be Obeyed" has now agreed that the machine is virtually silent and that our holiday plans can be resumed so, sorry Paul, the caravan deal is off.
Thank you all once again for your kind input to my problem.
Kind regards to all
Paintermac
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,259 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 87 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 142 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  [CPAP] Resmed airmini noise NYKP44 0 356 02-09-2024, 01:27 PM
Last Post: NYKP44
Question Resmed Autoset 10 buzzing noise - what now? mogulman 8 594 01-16-2024, 11:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Equipment] Airsense 10 Noise tblaster 4 344 01-15-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: tblaster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.