Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] CPAP the right machine for occasional nasal congestion and mouth breathing?
CPAP the right machine for occasional nasal congestion and mouth breathing?
I have septal spurs that cause me occasional nasal congestion, probably due to various factors like sleeping positions and slight changes in size of the turbinates that can immediately block the airway, so I find myself switching back and forth between nasal and mouth breathing throughout the night (f30i full face mask). Due to this, is the CPAP and its fixed pressure support (EPR) an ideal machine? Do people like me need something like ASV? I feel like pressures with no EPR or EPR 1 is good when I mouth breathe because it keeps the airway behind the tongue open, but when my body switches to nasal breathing (probably due to less resistance in the airway from less congestion), I think I would need EPAP. How true is this? Just trying to point out the cause of why I still wake up several times every night and have trouble sleeping.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP the right machine for occasional nasal congestion and mouth breathing?
It will be easier to advise without seeing some data.  

Follow this guideline to post an OSCAR chart here for review.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization

You will need to have a SD in your Pap machine while sleeping.  

The link explains how to organize a chart from the daily page in OSCAR, take a Screenshot and post it here using the Attachment Feature.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 3 12 minutes ago
Last Post: LaraM
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 43 1,066 7 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 359 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 84 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  nasal congestion relief sleepingbetterinFl 2 156 03-23-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 309 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.