Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] CPAP vs. Bi Pap for inhalation/exhalation variability
CPAP vs. Bi Pap for inhalation/exhalation variability
I was Dx with "Mild Sleep Apnea" in 2018 and prescribed CPAP but found the air force intolerable and stopped using it.
My cardiologist thinks Sleep Apnea may be contributing to my Afib so was referred for another sleep study
I had the sleep study last night where I was amazed that I could sleep through the night on a CPAP. The tech said it was a Bi Pap set at 8 for inhalation and 4 for exhalation.
My question, I have the Res Med Airsense 10 which is "variable." Is that CPAP the same as a Bi Pap in adjustment ability or is Bi Pap a different machine?
thank you. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP vs. Bi Pap for inhalation/exhalation variability
Hi Willec49! - Welcome

A BiPAP is Philip's brand name for their bi-level machine.  The Resmed bi-level is called the AirCurve.  You have an AirSense Autoset which is a standard CPAP with auto pressure adjusting capability.  It does offer a very limited sudo bi-level capability by using the "comfort" feature, EPR.  This feature will allow a pressure difference between the inhale and exhale pressure of up to 3 cm, in whole number steps.   The actual bi-level offers a much wider difference in pressures, with adjustment increments of .2 cm.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 12 358 03-29-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 164 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Need help optimizing and figuring out data variability please fert 8 537 01-21-2024, 10:27 PM
Last Post: fert
  Tubing Mod to Reduce Resmed Airmini + Zephair adapter Inhalation Noise dil950 1 662 12-21-2023, 06:04 AM
Last Post: RSki
  [Pressure] Advice needed with question about inhalation pressure Dawna 13 927 10-11-2023, 11:08 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Full Face Mask - Whistle on exhalation slane52186 4 584 10-01-2023, 01:33 PM
Last Post: slane52186
  Airsense 11 Noises on Inhalation? Normal? BigData 0 956 06-15-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: BigData

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.