Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] Sleep apnea may be risk factor for glaucoma
Sleep apnea may be risk factor for glaucoma
Sleep apnea may be risk factor for glaucoma

SAN DIEGO – A presenter here at Optometry’s Meeting said that because sleep apnea is a recognized risk factor for cardiovascular and neurovascular disease, “it probably fits into the realm of glaucoma.”

Eric Schmidt, OD, who was part of a panel discussion on glaucoma, told attendees: “It creates changes in oxygenation and circulatory, hemodynamic and inflammatory factors. It sets up repeated bouts of apoxia throughout the night. Hypo-oxygenation of blood and sympathetic vasoconstriction may lead to optic nerve hypoxia.”

In a 2003 study by Bendel, 33% of patients with severe sleep apnea were diagnosed with glaucoma, Schmidt said.

“The conclusion was that occlusive sleep apnea may be a modifiable risk factor for glaucoma,” he said. “It was recommended that all patients with sleep apnea be screened for glaucoma.”

Another study looked at healthy patients with no prior history of glaucoma. The patients were divided into four groups: no sleep apnea, mild sleep apnea, moderate or severe.

No one with sleep apnea developed hypertension, Schmidt said, and 7.9% of those with severe sleep apnea developed normal tension glaucoma.

“Sleep apnea had no effect on IOP; this is clearly a vasoocclusive problem,” he said. “Not one patient developed open-angle glaucoma.”

This begs the question: Does sleep apnea cause glaucoma, or do people with normal-tension glaucoma develop sleep apnea because of vasoocclusive disorder?

“To me, sleep apnea severe enough to have CPAP use is a strong risk factor for glaucoma,” Schmidt concluded.

Panel member Joseph Sowka, OD, said, “For those patients with glaucoma who are failing and should be doing well, look at the possibility of sleep apnea.”

Richard Madonna, OD, another panel member, added: “Individualize your care for glaucoma patients. You’re not just talking about IOP.”

Fair use from:
http://www.healio.com/optometry/glaucoma...r-glaucoma

The above post may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. The material available is intended to advance the understanding of Sleep Apnea treatment and to advance the educational level of Sleep Apnea patients with regard to their health. Sometimes included is the full text of articles and documents rather than a simple link because outside links frequently "go bad" or change over time. This constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material in this post is distributed without fee or payment of any kind for research and educational purposes. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this post for purposes of your own that go beyond "fair use", you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep apnea may be risk factor for glaucoma
I think we discussed this a while back in relation to my continuing problems with ocular hypertension.

However, his conclusions are odd and poorly stated. One sentence he says it isn't related but the next sentence he says it is.

You post this stuff just to rile me up, don't you?

Hammer. I have one.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-04-2013, 07:39 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: You post this stuff just to rile me up, don't you?

I'm a member of The Press. It's my job to rile people up. Bigwink Big Grinnie
The above post may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. The material available is intended to advance the understanding of Sleep Apnea treatment and to advance the educational level of Sleep Apnea patients with regard to their health. Sometimes included is the full text of articles and documents rather than a simple link because outside links frequently "go bad" or change over time. This constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material in this post is distributed without fee or payment of any kind for research and educational purposes. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this post for purposes of your own that go beyond "fair use", you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bump2

Who is Apnea News? I used to think it was Paula, now I'm not so sure. Thinking-about

Anyway, good article for new folk.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
[u]Regular screening of visual fields and the optic disc is warranted for all patients with OSA, especially those treated with CPAP.[/
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Great. Now not only am I at high risk for macular degeneration, but now glaucoma too? Sheesh.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
My Opthalmalogist's first question at our initial visit last May after a referral for potential Glaucoma - Do you have Sleep Apnea? Second question - Are you treating it?

Hopefully, I can slow down the Glaucoma.
Post Reply Post Reply
Whatsamatter you apes? You wanna live forever?
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 240 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 352 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 615 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 292 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 127 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 564 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.