Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Can anyone point me in the right direction please?
Can anyone point me in the right direction please?
I am new to the forum and for the last year I thought I was experienced enough with my sleep apnea to handel this myself with the occassional visit to my primary care / Respritory Theropist.  In Dec. of 2020 I had a Titration study done and my numbers were all changed... actually lower, 17 / 10. I use an older ResMed S9 with the H5i humidifier.  I only use distilled water, clean the filter every month, and wipe down my mask with recommended mask wipes. I have the added heated 8ft. tubing.  I have never used software as I am not sure what I would be looking at.  

What I am looking for.....  

- With everything I have in place and the Humidifier running at full(6) my nasal passages are raw... to the point of pain after only 3-4 hours of using the mask.  I have tried full face masks and can never get a good seal.  I am not sure how to increase the humidity I am getting or what other masks would help. 

Any advice would be most helpful and appriciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can anyone point me in the right direction please?
Hi and Welcome

Sorry to hear about your nose. A few people have suggested a lanolin-based cream that nursing mothers use for cracked nipples to help with that soreness. I'm afraid I'm not so familiar with the S9, but it sounds like you have the right things in place - humidity turned up, heated tube in place (maybe a hose cover to help retain the heat if you don't have one?). The only other thing I can think of would be to use an extra room humidifier near to the air intake of your Resmed.

Do you live in a particularly arid area?
Post Reply Post Reply
Southern Indiana so medium humidity except during the winter it gets cold and dry.  I have a 2 gallon cold mist humidifier about 3 feet from my BIPAP. I'm lucky to have a perminant perscription on file with Supplier #1  DME Link Removed , so what ever I need I can get.  I have tried the nasal gel and simple nose spray and they both help but dont last the night.  I would love to get away from the nasal mask entirely as I think that would solve my problems, I just can't seem to find something that works. 

Is there a better BIPAP? I know mine is old but this is my 2nd ResMed and they just work.

-----
Moderator Action: DME Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, links to DME-owned or DME-operated websites and links to pages that sell prescription-required items are prohibited in forum posts.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
Could the pain be more of an effect from physical pressure pushing of the nasal mask vs being too dry ?
What happens if you back off on the straps a bit ?
Eventually, you will get a leak of course.. gotta find the balance.
Also.. maybe something like an F30 mask ? It pushes "up" on nose too, but also rests on the mouth area.. so it could be more stable without so much strapping force ?
Post Reply Post Reply
The Dream Weaver does not enter the nose cavity. The area that is raw is the roof of the nasal cavity about 2 or 3 cm in. I would almost say it's like wind burn.

This does not happen with a fully covered nose and mouth.. full mask. But I have yet to find a full mask that does not leak or cause extreme headaches at the forehead. 

Thank you both for offering up suggestions and possible solutions.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Single Point Low O2 Data mcman56 1 252 11-16-2023, 10:29 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  The point of CPAP Machine explained ? Gregsleep 6 645 10-20-2023, 08:54 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Airmini leaking noise at the humidx connection point ggoom 1 1,631 04-24-2022, 01:11 PM
Last Post: SleepinAZ
  First couple of nights, would any changes make sense at this point? tormund 3 695 02-06-2022, 04:25 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  What is the point of "Nasal Masks" ? S. Manz 16 1,859 10-27-2021, 09:29 PM
Last Post: brianc18t
  at what point does it actually start to get better? mallwalker 4 799 10-06-2021, 09:57 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Nuance Pro - do you find it difficult to point it into your nostrils? Hydrangea 7 1,408 12-15-2019, 06:15 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.