Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Can't wear mask for long periods of time.
RE: Can't wear mask for long periods of time.
I admire your dedication. A lot of people would have given up by now.

New masks and new chinstraps are being made every year. Keep looking until you find one that works.

Good luck and yes, please keep us posted. Join in to help others, too. You've been at this for 10 yrs, I'm sure you've learned something useful. LOL
Post Reply Post Reply
I know that you have said that you have tried everything over the course of 10 years, however, there are things that you may need to still try. Keep trying..

The "grim reaper" does not count the nights or plan ahead. He may decide to visit you on your 5th night. If you have sleep apnea, you must wear your CPAP anytime that you expect to sleep.

First , it is physically impossible to breath through your mouth if your tongue is pressed to the roof of your mouth. It does require a conscious effort to keep it there but it can be done with patience and practice.

You might also find some suggestions from a Dentist. They all want your mouth open, but they may have a suggestion to keep it closed. Most deal with this type of problem all the time.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for in info on the O2 generator. I go over this with my doctor. I didn't know such a think was an option.
I have been trying new equipment as I find it and when I can afford it. My insurance isn't any help with CPAP expenses.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will check with my dentist. Thanks for the tip. This is why I finally decided to go to a form. I was out of answers. You don't know what you don't know.
Post Reply Post Reply
Will try the silicone ear plug trick. What do I have to lose. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am new user. Using opus 360 nose pillows and get marks on my cheeks and at my age they stay quite a while any suggestions. It is not uncomfortable though.
Post Reply Post Reply
An O2 generator is not a substitute for using your machine. Pop on a liter or two of oxygen and sleep away with out the mask. You have to qualify for O2. This is just not an acceptable substitute.
Glad you're open to suggestion- shows committment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2012, 11:36 AM)zimlich Wrote: An O2 generator is not a substitute for using your machine. Pop on a liter or two of oxygen and sleep away with out the mask. You have to qualify for O2. This is just not an acceptable substitute.
Glad you're open to suggestion- shows committment.

exactly what i said. o2 is not a replacement for cpap, but does mitigate damage by keeping the o2 from dropping some if you are in fact not using the cpap. i was not using my straight cpap because i could not take the pressure. the problem was not the mask, but other lung issues. after an ER visit the pulmonologist ordered a pulse ox and subsequent o2 generator with the blessing of the primary doc and the sleep doc and paid for by insurance. the justification to the insurance was that i was not using my cpap, the o2 was dropping at night and i needed o2. i used it til i got my apap which i now use every night and then returned the o2 generator. o2 is not an issue when i use cpap/apap as is the case for most users.

so there is a place for the o2 generator as a short term replacement of cpap with a doctor's order in some cases. all i really meant was speak with the doctor about it.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2012, 10:12 AM)Carolyn58 Wrote: I am new user. Using opus 360 nose pillows and get marks on my cheeks and at my age they stay quite a while any suggestions. It is not uncomfortable though.
Hi Carolyn58
You can use mask strap pads to prevent marks and irritation on the face.
There are few brands take look at Supplier #1 (Supplier List)
[Accessories- (Comfort & Cleaning - Skin Irritation)]
Welcome

Post Reply Post Reply
Tried the Opus 360. Didn't work because I could find a way to stop the mouth breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Symptoms] long desaturations Mshull 3 93 5 hours ago
Last Post: jcp519
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 51 712 04-14-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Oscar 1.4.0 software time change keithy62 2 111 04-12-2024, 05:14 AM
Last Post: keithy62
  Long Time PAPer Trying to Dial It In again! dlbzone 5 254 04-11-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: dlbzone
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 292 03-27-2024, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,895 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 230 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.