Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Can't wear mask for long periods of time.
RE: Can't wear mask for long periods of time.
I tell you- the more I think I know the less I find out I do know. Think I would learn some humility from that. I'll try. I really didn't know O2 can be used as a stop gap measure when needed. I was only thinking along the lines that a person who doesn't want to get accustomed to their CPAP would look for an easy way out. I didn't think about the other reasons- lung issues- that would not allow someone to use CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-19-2012, 07:57 AM)zimlich Wrote: I tell you- the more I think I know the less I find out I do know. Think I would learn some humility from that. I'll try. I really didn't know O2 can be used as a stop gap measure when needed. I was only thinking along the lines that a person who doesn't want to get accustomed to their CPAP would look for an easy way out. I didn't think about the other reasons- lung issues- that would not allow someone to use CPAP.

the lung issues were that at age 60 i developed adult onset asthma out of nowhere. between age 60 and age 62 it graduated to copd and asthma. copd by definition is emphysema or asthmatic bronchitis. my triple board certified pulmonologist told me that i in fact have some of all 3 of them. remember this is 2 years after having no lung problems. back to the cpap, i had a nice respironics cpap with c-flex. it was set on 12 and i could not take blowing against the constant 12 all night because of the lung stuff. i wound up in the ER because of bad breathing in the daytime carried over from the nighttime. my c-flex machine was 18 months old and the insurance wouldn't pay for a new one. the pulmonologist wrote for the overnight pulse ox and then o2 to keep me going til it got sorted out. i decided to not appeal the insurance and just pay for the apap that the sleep doc had prescribed. when i got the apap i farted around using it off and on using the o2 as a crutch. then about a month ago i got serious and started using the apap every nite and gave the o2 back. so, yes there is a place for o2 in the equation in the right circumstances. i can take the low 8 pressure with the occasional rises up to 12 mostly because of the a-flex which is better relief than the c-flex. people call a-flex and c-flex comfort settings. not so for me. for me they are more like life saving.

life is a learning experience. we all learn every day. i learn alot just helping people. i learn from their problems. the more i explain something, the more i learn about what i am explaining. i also learn when i am wrong. no one here is an expert. we are all just average hoseheads with different backgrounds and experiences along our journey helping other hoseheads along their journey. Thank God for the internet that allows us to do all of this. i wish this would have been available in 1990 when i was first diagnosed.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-19-2012, 09:25 AM)greatunclebill Wrote: i learn alot just helping people. i learn from their problems. the more i explain something, the more i learn about what i am explaining. i also learn when i am wrong. no one here is an expert. we are all just average hoseheads with different backgrounds and experiences along our journey helping other hoseheads along their journey.

My dad who was a teacher for many years always said, "You never really learn something until you have to teach it to someone else".

:grin:
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-19-2012, 09:37 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote: My dad who was a teacher for many years always said, "You never really learn something until you have to teach it to someone else".

:grin:

100 X spot on. at another time when i worked, i learned so much more about what i was doing, about the subject i was explaining, just by teaching or training others what to do. just as with this forum, their questions and explaining their questions made me learn or think of angles or procedures that i didn't fully understand myself. it's the same with computers. i've learned so much about mine just by helping others learn about theirs. geeez, i missed my calling. should have been a teacher. (thinking about dealing with smart azz kids....NOT!!!!)
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 208 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,432 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 177 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 618 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 244 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 172 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 25 807 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: sarahsleeps

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.