Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Change Ramp pressure on PR System One
RE: Change Ramp pressure on PR System One
I'm disturbed by the fact that the memory card can reset your settings. That is just so....Big Brother. And downright rude. The DME and/or your doctor think you are either too stupid to do it yourself so the card fixes any "damage"; or they think you are too smart and the card reverses anything you might do. As if you would not have figured out the card is responsible for you not being able to do something as simple as fix the ramp so that you are comfortable. It's not just about usage compliance anymore. It's compliance to their rules.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2012, 04:39 PM)bashanabad@msn.com Wrote: JudgeMental (great handle, by the way), you provided an excellent clue, if I leave the card out I can set the Ramp Pressure to anything I like. As soon as I put the card back, it reverts to the original setting. Cannot leave it this way obviously, since my Sleep Lab will complain "where's the data"?
The sleep lab should left the ramp for you to set, its a comfort feature just like Flex or EPR some use and others don't.
If not mistaken you can leave the card out and set ramp to your preference and when you put the card in the machine prior to the sleep lab appointment data would be written on the card and revert back the original setting.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2012, 05:15 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I'm disturbed by the fact that the memory card can reset your settings. That is just so....Big Brother.

The patient sends the data card to the DME. The DME then uses the data on the card to prepare a report for the doctor. The doctor then makes changes to the patient's prescription. The DME puts the changes on the data card, then sends it back to the patient. The patient puts the data card back in the machine. All data accumulated during the card's absence gets downloaded to the data card, and the new prescription gets uploaded from the data card to the machine.

This is the way of Big Brother, er, I mean Philips-Respironics. He looks out for the dumb patient. And saves the DME a trip to the patient's home. See how nice he is to us all?

I copy the data from my card and email it to my DME. The first time I had my prescription pressure changed he emailed me a file and told me to copy it to my card. Instead I just changed the pressure to what the doctor had ordered. The next time I had my prescription pressure changed the DME just called me on the phone and offered to walk me through the process of how to change the pressure myself. I told him I thought I already knew how to do it and I'd call him if I had any problems. Smile

The OP could just figure out how to delete that nasty file from the data card. No one would ever figure out that he had done it, and the data on the machine would verify that he had never changed the actual pressure, only just the ramp settings.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2012, 11:26 AM)bashanabad@msn.com Wrote: I assume the SD Card has a predefined prescription stored on it. Is there anyway of overriding this.

You should be able to delete the file that has the prescription stored in it. I've never done this, but perhaps you could post here for us a list of the titles of the folders on your card. I might be able to figure it out from there.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2012, 11:26 AM)bashanabad@msn.com Wrote: I assume the SD Card has a predefined prescription stored on it. Is there anyway of overriding this.

Here is the list of the files I was supposed to put on my card to have the machine automatically set the pressure:

encore.txt
use.000
use.002

If you are brave enough you could look for files like this on your card and delete them. Keep a backup just in case.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2012, 05:19 PM)zonk Wrote:
(05-07-2012, 04:39 PM)bashanabad@msn.com Wrote: JudgeMental (great handle, by the way), you provided an excellent clue, if I leave the card out I can set the Ramp Pressure to anything I like. As soon as I put the card back, it reverts to the original setting. Cannot leave it this way obviously, since my Sleep Lab will complain "where's the data"?
The sleep lab should left the ramp for you to set, its a comfort feature just like Flex or EPR some use and others don't.
If not mistaken you can leave the card out and set ramp to your preference and when you put the card in the machine prior to the sleep lab appointment data would be written on the card and revert back the original setting.
Yes exactly that, no matter what I set Ramp Pressure, Ramp Time or Minimum CPAP Pressure, as soon as the card is back in everything returns to their original/preset prescribed setting.
NoddingNed

"Wearing a mask is none of my brains business"
Post Reply Post Reply
Just throw in a new SD card and set it up however you like. When it comes time for your sleep doctor to read the data, just tell them that when turning on the machine it was giving you some kind of card error message so you replaced it with a new one. Just make sure you at least 1 months data on your new SD card by the time of your next visit.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good call, Surly

I replaced the Respronics original equip card with a Sandisk highspeed one. The Respronics card was very slow in transfer. The high speed card is like lightning for use with data transfer when using Sleephead.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
Well done guys, success. I replaced the SD Card with a clean one and now I can set the ramp pressure to whatever I like.

I also started my CPAP session last night with the humidifier turned off, and then turned it on when I awoke due to the air being too cold. I also noticed that the air flow rate FELT higher when cold than when it was warmed by the humidifier. So I believe my brain was getting in the way as well.
Raising the ramp pressure cured this phenomina.

As a result I have come up with a slogan for me, stolen to some degree from Supersleeper's, I believe. It is "WEARING A MASK IS NONE OF MY BRAINS BUSINESS", I am sure I am not the first to come up with this, but I am going to adopt it anyway.
NoddingNed

"Wearing a mask is none of my brains business"
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-08-2012, 12:47 PM)bashanabad@msn.com Wrote: Well done guys, success. I replaced the SD Card with a clean one and now I can set the ramp pressure to whatever I like.

Welcome to the forum, but a suggestion I'd make is that you consider changing your Username. I assume what you're using is your email address and that's not a real good idea because of spammer issues.
We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,426 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,606 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,702 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,066 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 372 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 297 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 318 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.