Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Change in Pressure
RE: Change in Pressure
@Buckeyedog, I looked at the leak graph as you advised and its very up and down. I am not sure whether this data makes more sense as a breakdown, if you would take a look for me and try and explain it I would be so appreciative. I am trying to learn all the terminology and what each item means but trying to figure out how they work together is a little baffling. I was wondering if there is a Dummy's Guide to CPAP Big Grin

Many thanks, Mirry

Date Sleep Wake Hours
6/1/2014 21:17 03:42 06:25:09

AHIApnea / Hypopnea Index 4.05

HypopneaHypopnea 2.65
ObstructiveObstructive Apnea 0.93
Clear AirwayClear Airway Apnea 0.47
RERAResp. Effort Related Arousal 3.27
VSnore2Vibratory Snore #2 18.07
PB/CSRPeriodic Breathing 0.00%

Event Breakdown

Statistics
Channel Min Med 95% Max
PressurePressure (cmH20)
W-Avg: 6.00 6.00 6.00 6.00 6.00
Minute Vent.Minute Ventilation (L/min)
W-Avg: 5.42 0.12 5.25 7.62 12.88
Resp. RateRespiratory Rate (breaths/min)
W-Avg: 12.83 5.91 12.80 15.00 16.40
LeaksLeak Rate (L/min)
W-Avg: 0.64 0.00 0.00 2.00 4.00
Total LeaksTotal Leak Rate (L/min)
W-Avg: 17.62 16.00 17.00 19.00 21.00
SnoreSnore (unknown)
W-Avg: 5.31 0.00 1.00 28.00 37.00
Insp TimeInspiratory Time (seconds)
W-Avg: 2.09 0.66 2.06 2.72 5.26
Exp TimeExpiratory Time (seconds)
W-Avg: 2.60 0.26 2.60 3.32 4.32
Tidal VolumeTidal Volume (ml)
W-Avg: 418.03 16.67 400.00 600.00 1040.00

Machine Settings
Pr. ReliefPressure Relief C-Flex+ x3
HumidifierHumidifier Setting x5
Post Reply Post Reply
Looking at the leak numbers, they actually look pretty good.

Your AHI doesn't look too bad. Technically you have successful therapy but most people feel better if it's a little lower. Since most of the events were Hypopneas so you may want to raise your pressure .5cmH2O and see what that does to them.
Post Reply Post Reply
@Mirryt, it was Bama who suggested the leak info!! I'm in the learning mode same as you! I'm hoping to download my data tonight and see some numbers.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Bama for taking a look. When you say raise the pressure you mean the pressure that they set at 6% correct?? He had another sleep study friday night and they want to increase it to 12%, that really concerns me such an increase, but I guess they are the experts. I am guessing that's the pressure you are referring too. I really appreciate you taking a look. Oh his Dr on the base, not his sleep Dr, suggested she order him a machine that automatically adjusts his pressure rather than a constant pressure, what do you think?

So let me get this right:

Hypopneas are episodes of overly shallow breathing or an abnormally low respiratory rate and is less severe than Apnea.

Obstructive sleep apnea is a condition in which the flow of air pauses or decreases during breathing while you are asleep because the airway has become narrowed, blocked, or floppy.

A pause in breathing is called an apnea episode, which is the obstructive sleep apnea. And a decrease in airflow during breathing is called a hypopnea episode.

So if I look at his data over the past year, much of the year shows a higher rate of Hypopneas than Obstructive Sleeps and am I right in thinking that these are the two figures that I should be paying attention to and its better that there are higher Hypopneas than Obstructive Sleeps as they are less severe, but still not good though?

@Buckeyedog, hope the download goes well and you get to see all those pretty little charts that make no sense to us newbies lol. Im so thankful that there are the experienced ones that share their knowledge, it's really challenging to get to grips with all this data.

Have a great evening

Mirry

Post Reply Post Reply
Mirryt,

Welcome to the funny farm, oops, the apnea board.

The pressure numbers are in centimeters of water (cm/H2O), not %. Just so you know.

An apnea is a reduction of air flow by 90% of normal that lasts 10 seconds or more. An obstructive apnea is caused by a narrowing or blockage of the airway. A central apnea is caused by the brain not telling the body to take a breath.

A hypopnea, if I remember correctly is a reduction of air flow by 50% lasting at least 10 seconds. A hypopnea can be either obstructive or central. Hypopneas are not classified as central or obstructive by the data from the CPAP.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, the pressure is the 6, but as Payton said, it's centimeters of water, not percent.

I'm sorry, but I missed the part about him having a new study and them wanting to raise his pressure to 12cmH2O.

That may seem like a lot but it's really not. I'm currently at 16cmH2O and I don't use ramp or exhalation relief.
What you might want to do is raise it to 12cmH2O and see how well he handles it. You can also set the ramp to start at his current pressure of 6cmH2O for 20 minutes or so and also you can set the C-Flex+ to 3 if he thinks he needs it.

If he does have a problem handling 12 right off, you can raise the pressure 1cm every few days until he's at the recommended pressure or until his AHI is 5 or below.

When you raise it, keep an eye on the central just to make sure he doesn't start throwing a bunch of them.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 0 40 11 hours ago
Last Post: coffee9724
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,453 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,714 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 319 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn
  [Symptoms] Recent Symptom - Settings Change? MamaK55 1 164 02-10-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 324 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] Pressure max/min clarification and change I made richapple 5 367 01-28-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: richapple

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.