Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Changed to a new mask now AHI is higher.
Changed to a new mask now AHI is higher.
I had been using the AirFitF10 for my apnea. 1 week ago I got the new AirTouchF20, which uses Memory Foam. My AHI has doubled, from below 1,  and now to 2 and above. I can detect no leaks. My pressure was at 16.8; thinking the problem was low pressure, I raised it to 17. Still the same issue. Nothing else has changed in my life or sleep habits. I understand this number is still low - but why is it happening? Anyone?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Changed to a new mask now AHI is higher.
I suggest that you post charts from before and after your mask change. We may see a cause for the events that you are missing.
Post Reply Post Reply
By charts - how would I do that? I have a small card in my ResMed S9 machine that I take to my doctor and equipment providers. All I can do myself ithe next morning s press Info and the round button to get my numbers for the previous night: hrs slept, mask fit, and AHI. Would this "chart" tell more than just those numbers? Such as OSA or Central? Thank you for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
check to make sure your machine is set to the right mask type in Options/mask (assuming your options are similar to the airsense 10 autoset). my guess is it needs to be set for 'nasal' rather than 'pillows'. might make a difference. edit: looks like that might be a full face mask; if so, that'd be the correct setting.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, thank you. My ResMed S9 is set to "Full Face".  My "ramp" is 45min. Might it be that before I fall asleep and turn over the machine might not be strong enough to stop the apnea before the 45 mins are up? With this new mask I fidget with it more than with the old one.
Post Reply Post Reply
from my signature go thru the 
downloading charts
organizing charts
attaching charts

These will likely be far more detailed than what your doctor looks at.
You will need an SD card (the little card you mentioned) reader for your computer which is pretty cheap either online or at your local computer store.

If needed this data will give you/us the ability to look at each and every breath you took on the cpap machine in detail if needed.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. I will get the SD reader next time I am in town, next couple days. Then I will download your apps. I appreciate your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
In case it wasn't obvious, you will also need to download and install the free SleepyHead software. See the links below.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I experience the same thing. AHI with P10 is .1-.6; AHI with Amara View is 1.6-2.2

And I'm curious as to the cause, too. Are the events "real"? Is it just calculating them differently due to more area inside the mask? Am I having different or more frequent events due to using my mouth for some of the breathing?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hydrangea, I changed from a full face to a full face, so in my case the extra space is probably not an issue; however, One thing that might be is that my previous mask, AirFitF10, was a size XSmall. The AirTouchF20 does not come in an XS. My equipment provider said that the XS was probably too small for me as I was able to maneuver, in my sleep, my mask above my mouth to breathe from it. However, my AHI numbers were almost always below 1. This new mask's headgear seems very large for me, the top straps practically meet each other on the top of my head! As far as I can tell, the mask is not allowing me to open my mouth to breathe.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Machine Higher AHI Hauty 6 160 Yesterday, 03:52 PM
Last Post: Hauty
  [Diagnosis] WatchPAT sleep apena diagnosis low AHI higher RDI. Need advice godiego 24 3,718 04-04-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: godiego
  Changed to Airsense 11, few CA's Stubert 10 418 03-18-2024, 05:23 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  [CPAP] Can pressure wanting to go higher actually be due to leakage? richapple 1 155 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  My inspiratory time is higher than expiratory on Auto S Bipap Stubert 3 414 02-01-2024, 09:27 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] A new ResMed AirSense 10 fails to do Smart Stop when at higher altitude. mountaincat 6 593 01-28-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: mountaincat
  Felt like I was suffocating last night! Changed too many Clinical Settings at once. JoshuaApneaProblems 3 396 01-17-2024, 05:56 AM
Last Post: Muggzy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.