Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Choosing and working with a DME: A Beginner’s Dilemma
RE: Choosing and working with a DME: A Beginner’s Dilemma
Good idea - thanks, Kiwi and Dave. I will start that thread.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-18-2018, 10:50 PM)ShaunBlake Wrote:
(02-17-2018, 04:36 PM)BostonPH Wrote: Choosing and working with a DME: A Beginner’s Dilemma
After 10 days of diligent online research, I’ve concluded that:
... they named (without great enthusiasm) is in my preferred network, and the Rx was sent to them as well (I am currently waiting to hear from them).    

(02-18-2018, 06:03 PM)BostonPH Wrote: A few further Beginner's questions about strategies to select a local DME:

3.  Is there any way to find out whether a local supplier carries particular machines (other than by visiting or calling each of them)?

<sigh> I share your pain, my brother! I have been fortunate to have had an extremely good experience the first time I was set up with a PAP -- in Royal Oak, MI; fairly good experience with all except the DME provider the second time -- here in metro Atlanta. Now I'm going through it again and it has been rocky (due to my changing health) and I'm impatiently waiting for the new DME provider (I won't mention the name of the infamous Avira that SarcasticDave94 refers to Oh-jeez ). So since you wonder if a supplier offers a particular machine, have you identified the one that you want? I expect that all of them, particularly ones in-network would have the choice machines, particularly the big-dollar ones.

Your first post left me with the idea that your doctor sent the script to your in-network choice 10 days ago and you haven't been contacted. If so, you need to pick provider #2: there is no reason for a supplier to delay more than two or three hours after receiving the FAX before calling you and getting your order. (They ought to be begging you for the order!) Fulfilling it is what usually takes a while. (That's when it's your turn to beg. Rolleyes )
You know, you would think that a big in-network supplier WOULD have the big dollar machines, wouldn't you? When I got the call from the DME (which I did NOT go to!), they told me that not only would they NOT supply the specific machine that my doctor had prescribed (he and I had discussed it and I had told him which machine I thought I wanted), but that everyone got the SAME machine! People could have different masks, but absolutely NO choice of machine. Huhsign

Well, needless to say, I have had no further contact with them!
Post Reply Post Reply
like SHa_clap2 A big Kudos to ya. If you and your doctor agreed on a specific machine, but the DME refused to supply that same machine, do exactly what you are doing, walk away and shop elsewhere. As you noted, that specific device is on your script. Hey, it's that DME's loss of a customer. AND I despise their cookie cutter approach. Everyone gets the same? OK earlier I said you're walking, scratch that, RUN!

I hope you will have some good news to post soon.

lots-o-coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
BostonPH, it's great that you found this forum before you start dealing with a DME.  

One thing that I wished I had known prior to getting involved with them is that they supplied an APAP machine to me for a "rental" co-pay on my Aetna insurance of $55 per month for 10 months, then I owned it.  (Hose and mask were all separate charges.)  That was $550 for the same machine I could have bought on Amazon for about $375 at that time.  It did include a home visit for delivery and instruction; the guy was nice but smelled so bad it was hard to pay attention.  Oh-jeez 
I got the clinician's manual for that machine through this forum - much better.

Your insurance may be different, perhaps you could find out now how they handle it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi! I live a little south of Atlanta in the burbs. I use Sleepmed Therapy. I just retired and am getting more proactive with my therapy. I have had several dme CPAP suppliers and they are the best I have dealt with. You can even go talk to a therapist free if you have an appointment. They have let me slide for many years so be proactive.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have several to choose from.  The absolute worse, pain in the neck, just plain terrible customer experience I've ever had for any item, ever, in my life, was...

Lincare.

Right now I'm working with QualityDME, and so far they are FAR superior in customer service, and actually seem to look at you as a patient under their care instead of just being a cash register button.

Am I breaking a rule by naming names?  I'll delete if so.  I'm new here Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Woofer - That's who I use, too. I don't live anywhere near them, so we communicate by phone and they ship me my supplies.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi and Welcome to the Forum WooferDog!

It’s ok to name names, just don’t add the .com or a link to any commercial website.

Check out the rules if your not sure.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...oard-Rules
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  nore cpap is working, again ? Jst617 5 199 03-31-2024, 07:10 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  New Machine and settings not working snapperzz 3 164 03-26-2024, 02:10 AM
Last Post: snapperzz
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 495 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 1,020 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 239 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  [Equipment] Beginner Must Have Equipment/Supplies PoutinePrincess 7 441 02-07-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Question SD Formatting and OSCAR not working smallhandsfeeding 2 238 02-02-2024, 03:24 PM
Last Post: smallhandsfeeding

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.