Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Classic heater ?
Classic heater ?
Phillips 60 series 2009-11 PR System One, Model num is 560P

Hello, this is my first post. I got my CPAP machine thru the Veterans Hospital. I used it awhile at a pressure of 5 and then on another appointment we agreed to try a higher pressure of 8. I felt like I breathed easier at 8 but even with the humidifier turned all the way to 5, I would wake up with severe dry mouth and throat.

So then I mailed my card to the VA with a letter requesting they set the pressure back to 6 (appts with the VA are about 50 to 60 days out so mailing the card was faster).

Well the returned the card came today with a short letter saying they did set the pressure back to 6 . . . . but that they also set the humidifier to the "CLASSIC HEATER". What does classic heater mean ??? I really didn't feel comfortable before with the heat at 5 and I'm curious what to expect with this.

I did search on this forum and found how to go into clinical setup and change the settings, but I did not see anything in there about "classic heater".

Appreciate any info or input you have.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Classic heater ?
Hi R_W_B,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I think the classic mode is a setting where your humidity and temperature can be set separately.
Hang in there for a better explanation and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, the classic setting provides a good deal more humidity. You find it In the clinical settings under humidifier. I was amazed how much more humidity I got when I did that with my loaner. I don't have a loaner any longer so I can't tell you exactly what it says. Hopefully somebody else can piping about that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mosquitobait is correct, you will get more humidity with the Classic setting. You can set it to C1, C2, C3, C4 or C5 being the most humidity. You just need to experiment with it.

When set on System One humidity, 1 through 5, the machine senses the humidity in the air then delivers according to that.

I wasn't happy with either of those settings because I didn't get enough with System One settings and got too much humidity with classic, so I had to order a heated hose kit for my APAP which made a hugh difference in the humidity level.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the replies and info. I will try it out and also look around in the setup. I surmise there are two separate menus that set the classic heater and/or the heated hose (?).
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-29-2015, 08:50 AM)R_W_B Wrote: Thanks for all the replies and info. I will try it out and also look around in the setup. I surmise there are two separate menus that set the classic heater and/or the heated hose (?).

In the clinical menu, if you turn the System One humidity to off, then it will show the Classic Humidity settings. It doesn't say Classic, but lists the settings as C1 through C5.

If using a heated hose, then system one or classic will not show up.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your model 560 is also compatible with a heated tube accessory. The heated tube is a 15 mm diameter flexible tube (rather than 22 mm standard) that is heat traced. This prevents condensation in the tube, and maintains a warmer more humid air flow. It costs $75 through any of the online suppliers, but you might be able to get it from VA. I use it along with the classic humidity settings rather than System One settings. Very nice.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-29-2015, 11:27 AM)OpalRose Wrote: In the clinical menu, if you turn the System One humidity to off, then it will show the Classic Humidity settings. It doesn't say Classic, but lists the settings as C1 through C5.

Exactly. To say it another way:

If you have a standard, unheated tube, you'll have System One Humidification On/Off setting, as well as a five-step "Humidifier" setting that can be either 1-5 or C1-C5 depending on the System One Humidification setting, and you can use the dial knob to select from these five humidity levels.

If you add the heated tube, those two setting lines above are replaced by a three-step Humidity Level setting and a five-step Tube Temperature setting, and the knob now controls five levels of tube temperature. IOW, you can't use the classic humidity settings with the heated tube.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-29-2015, 11:27 AM)OpalRose Wrote: In the clinical menu, if you turn the System One humidity to off, then it will show the Classic Humidity settings. It doesn't say Classic, but lists the settings as C1 through C5.

(07-29-2015, 01:43 PM)iSnore Wrote: Exactly. To say it another way:

If you have a standard, unheated tube, you'll have System One Humidification On/Off setting, as well as a five-step "Humidifier" setting that can be either 1-5 or C1-C5 depending on the System One Humidification setting, and you can use the dial knob to select from these five humidity levels.

If you add the heated tube, those two setting lines above are replaced by a three-step Humidity Level setting and a five-step Tube Temperature setting, and the knob now controls five levels of tube temperature. IOW, you can't use the classic humidity settings with the heated tube.

THANKS, that makes it more clear, I now see in my menus that I have System One set to OFF and Humidifier set to C1.

(07-29-2015, 12:13 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Your model 560 is also compatible with a heated tube accessory. The heated tube is a 15 mm diameter flexible tube (rather than 22 mm standard) that is heat traced. This prevents condensation in the tube, and maintains a warmer more humid air flow. It costs $75 through any of the online suppliers, but you might be able to get it from VA. I use it along with the classic humidity settings rather than System One settings. Very nice.

Thanks, I'm not sure if I have the heated hose, I guess I could measure the diameter of it, but I don't remember the Sleep Nurse at the Veterans Hospital saying anything about the heated hose. I only read about it in the manual.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-01-2015, 09:15 PM)R_W_B Wrote: THANKS, that makes it more clear, I now see in my menus that I have System One set to OFF and Humidifier set to C1.

Thanks, I'm not sure if I have the heated hose, I guess I could measure the diameter of it, but I don't remember the Sleep Nurse at the Veterans Hospital saying anything about the heated hose. I only read about it in the manual.

If you have a heated hose plugged in, you should not see SYSTEM ONE Humidification or be able to access the Classic settings.

Another way to tell is to pinch the locks on the hose and pull it loose from the humidifier. If it is heated, BOTH the humidifier and the hose will have matching electrical connections.

Another way to check is to rotate the knob counterclockwise from Therapy to Info and press the knob quickly. In the resulting menu, rotate the knob clockwise to Humidifier and click it again.

The first line is the wattage of the power supply. It is 80 watts if the machine can support a heated hose and 60 watts if it can't. The next line is the hose. It will be 15H if a heated hose is attached and the machine will set this automatically. If it is not a heated hose, you'll see 15 for a 15 mm slimline hose or 22 mm for a standard hose. That is manually set in the Settings menu. The last line is the humidifier setting.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air Sense humidifier heater malfunction johanlon 26 13,597 04-28-2023, 08:45 PM
Last Post: 17WRX
  [Equipment] Non-functioning heater in humodifier douganderson 1 548 08-31-2022, 08:42 PM
Last Post: zellem
  Resmed AirSense 10 Heater Plate Temperature JerryK 30 6,099 11-12-2021, 07:53 AM
Last Post: Chriheat
  Heater on Humidifier of ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet Sleeper396 3 935 06-30-2021, 02:43 PM
Last Post: Sleeper396
  Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset heater issue? jeannylam09 9 6,922 06-20-2020, 01:05 PM
Last Post: guitarguy59
  [Equipment] Philips Respironics DreamStation [Access to heater settings in clinical menu] mcintoshbear 2 1,764 10-12-2019, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bluesboybob
  [CPAP] Respironics Dreamstation heater turns off after 6 hours kohlweiler 3 2,194 04-09-2019, 06:36 AM
Last Post: kohlweiler

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.