Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] fxsnowy - Therapy Help
UARS and Central Apnea, time for an ASV?
So I was diagnosed with UARS 3 years ago via a watchpat study with an RDI of 14 and an AHI of 2. I suffer from all the classic UARS symptoms such as fatigue, headache, cold hands and feet, IBS, etc.

I was prescribed a CPAP, which I couldn't tolerate and felt worse on. I eventually found out that the reason I couldn't tolerate it was because my nasal breathing wasn't good. I eventually saw an ENT that told me I had enlarged turbinates/deviated septum/nasal valve collapse. Instead of surgery I decided to fix my problems with nose strips, flonase and azelastine spray. This fixed my nasal breathing and made me tolerate CPAP. I was still experiencing a lot of flow limitations with CPAP, even with an EPR of 3. I was also getting a lot of central like pauses and irregular breathing/waxing and waning of flow rate, even with EPR off.

I did some digging around and found out that Dr. Krakow recommends BIPAP for UARS, so I bought a used Aircurve S. I have titrated the pressure support up to 5, and this has eliminated my flow limitations, based on the roundness of the inspiratory flow. I have noticed about a 40% improvement in my symptoms since moving to a BIPAP. I've been trying out different EPAPS with a pressure support of 5, so 5/10, 6/11, 7/12, but I don't feel the difference using different EPAPs, and I barely get any obstructive apneas. Upping the pressure support to more than 5 starts to make me feel worse. So it looks like 5 is the sweet spot.

Here is my problem. I am struggling with what seems to be TECSA. Not necessarily in the form of central apneas, because setting the trigger to "very high" has "eliminated" them. I say "eliminate" because I heard some people say that setting the trigger on very high just masks them. If I don't set the trigger to very high, I will experience about 10 CAs an hour with a pressure support of 5. Regardless, even if I have no pressure support or I have the trigger on normal, I still experience these irregular breathing patterns all throughout my sleep that look like the classic hyperventilation - hypoventilation cycle. The pattern is always the same, shallow breathing with long exhales, followed by fast recovery breaths that usually end up in arousal. My charts always look like a mess, with a bunch of arousals.

Anyways, since I have been on CPAP/BIPAP for more than 3 months, and what appears to be TECSA hasn't resolved, would it be a good idea to move to an ASV? Any advice?

Thanks

Chart of last night

Waxing and waning pattern

Zoomed in flow rate

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: UARS and Central Apnea, time for an ASV?
I would say that the Aircurve S was probably the wrong machine and you should have tried a Aircurve 10 VAuto. But that waxing and waning does look like something related to CSA. ASV would probably help this out.

Do you have any of your old CPAP data that shows the same central events and waxing/waning breathing pattern?
Post Reply Post Reply
An AirCurve does not report RDI, only AHI.  The AirSense 10 and 11 report the RDI.   Also, the AirCurve 10-S series does not report Flow Limitations, this is only on the VAuto when it is in Auto mode.

I see you have 2 threads about your therapy.  We prefer you keep all posts in one thread.  This allows the reader easy access to your prior posts and changes.  I will be merging them after this post.  Please keep all further posts that pertain to your therapy in this thread.  I have changed your thread title to, "fxsnowy - Therapy Help to make it a more inclusive title.
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2024, 10:12 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: An AirCurve does not report RDI, only AHI.  The AirSense 10 and 11 report the RDI.   Also, the AirCurve 10-S series does not report Flow Limitations, this is only on the VAuto when it is in Auto mode.

Yes, but on CPAP AirSense 10 with an EPR of 3, my flow limitations graph was pretty much perfect, with 0s for 95% and 0.1 for 99%. But I STILL had significant flow limitations based on zooming in on the flow rate graph. It wasn't until moving to a BIPAP with a pressure support of 5 where my flow rate inpsiration curve roundness looked normal.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2024, 09:33 AM)jcp519 Wrote: I would say that the Aircurve S was probably the wrong machine and you should have tried a Aircurve 10 VAuto. But that waxing and waning does look like something related to CSA. ASV would probably help this out.

Do you have any of your old CPAP data that shows the same central events and waxing/waning breathing pattern?

Yes

CPAP data: 

Zoomed in a little, all those fat spikes are waxing and waning patterns

Flow rate zoomed in to that waxing waning pattern:

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: fxsnowy - Therapy Help
fxsnowy, do you have a trigger sensitivity setting? What is the setting you are using? What version Oscar is this?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: fxsnowy - Therapy Help
(04-07-2024, 07:56 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: fxsnowy, do you have a trigger sensitivity setting? What is the setting you are using? What version Oscar is this?

yes, right now I am using very high. When I have it on high or normal, I get more CA events. But the waxing and waning is there regardless of the trigger setting. I am using OSCAR version 1.4.0
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Starting therapy - 3 days in, help and recommendations joedes 1 69 9 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 61 1,004 10 hours ago
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Little Olive - Therapy Adventure Little Olive 71 1,335 11 hours ago
Last Post: Little Olive
  liebano - Therapy Analysis liebano 17 595 04-16-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: liebano
  johnathanb76 - Therapy Help In Migrating to a Resmed johnathanb76 27 492 04-14-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: johnathanb76
  sleepingbetterinFl - Therapy Thread sleepingbetterinFl 82 572 04-13-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Wjg's Therapy Thread wjg1 35 817 04-12-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: wjg1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.