Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP, Compliance, and A Cold
Wink 
CPAP, Compliance, and A Cold
I love my CPAP, I really do. But, I am still in some bad sleep habits and am on the edge with my compliance (I may try to just sit with it while watching tv ((shh! Don't tell my insurance! )) or something), but now I have a cold or allergies going on and am snatching my FFM off in my sleep despite the Afrin right before I go down.  I feel like I can't breathe. Any tips?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP, Compliance, and A Cold
If you still have your P10 mask use that until your over the cold. Pillow masks are good for clearing out your nasal passages.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-12-2018, 10:55 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: If you still have your P10 mask use that until your over the cold. Pillow masks are good for clearing out your nasal passages.

Oh, I sure do! I will try that tonight! Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
The FFM made me feel like I couldn't breathe (I couldn't initially get the pillows tubing connected), and now the Nasal pillows feel like my throat is on fire. Ugh. I just dosed up on Afrin, too. Gonna continue to be a long night...
Post Reply Post Reply
I totally agree about the P10 during stuffed-up-nose times. Give it 5 minutes, and you'll be breathing just fine!
Post Reply Post Reply
PerChancetoDream, it really is a good idea to run your PAP while reading or otherwise relaxing.  Not only will it help satisfy compliance, it will help your body (and your mind) adapt the the therapy.  Moreover, it will help the machine to adapt to you.  (Some of ResMed's devices have little pixies in them that snoop on your breathing requirements and make algorithmic adjustments to improve the machine's responses to your needs.)

And your insurer won't object — they want you to be compliant so they can obtain full revenue.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-15-2018, 04:28 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: I totally agree about the P10 during stuffed-up-nose times.  Give it 5 minutes, and you'll be breathing just fine!
It's crazy, and really is counterintuitive, but the only time I don't use the P10 is if I get nostril irritation (hasn't happened in almost a year now)
We originally purchased FFM "backups" for when we had colds, but the P10 really does work well.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-15-2018, 11:50 PM)CB91710 Wrote:
(08-15-2018, 04:28 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: I totally agree about the P10 during stuffed-up-nose times.  Give it 5 minutes, and you'll be breathing just fine!
It's crazy, and really is counterintuitive, but the only time I don't use the P10 is if I get nostril irritation (hasn't happened in almost a year now)
We originally purchased FFM "backups" for when we had colds, but the P10 really does work well.

Same here!  That's the whole reason I bought a FFM as back-up for when I have a stuffy nose.  Go figure it doesn't work for me when my nose is stuffy!
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-16-2018, 12:41 AM)Hydrangea Wrote:
(08-15-2018, 11:50 PM)CB91710 Wrote:

Same here!  That's the whole reason I bought a FFM as back-up for when I have a stuffy nose.  Go figure it doesn't work for me when my nose is stuffy!

If anything, it's actually worse.  I like the nasal mask, but both the nasal and FFM tend to pinch a bit at the top of my nose, and that increases congestion.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-12-2018, 10:20 PM)PerChancetoDream Wrote: I love my CPAP, I really do. But, I am still in some bad sleep habits and am on the edge with my compliance (I may try to just sit with it while watching tv ((shh! Don't tell my insurance! )) or something), but now I have a cold or allergies going on and am snatching my FFM off in my sleep despite the Afrin right before I go down.  I feel like I can't breathe. Any tips?

Don’t dismiss the allergies too quickly. I started shots at the same time as cpap and my progress for both followed the same path. Allergy shots take time to be effective as did my cpap therapy. After all, allergies do cause obstructions and flow limits. 

Two years in on both and my allergies are under control and my AHI averages .3 or lower. At this rate, in 2 years when shots are over, my AHI should be zero. ?

No, I will not stop cpap, but allergies will not be part of the problem.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can you regain CPAP coverage after failing compliance the first time? dharma2255 5 207 04-19-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 336 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  How do YOU report Resmed CPAP data for compliance silverchief2 21 1,692 12-17-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Insurance Compliance and Changing My Own Pressure Brennie 3 461 11-27-2023, 10:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Tips for continuing PAP through a cold Bostonsnow 4 549 07-28-2023, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  compliance question singergal67 7 686 06-10-2023, 07:59 PM
Last Post: singergal67
  Vacation - CPAP compliance was amazing, now home and I'm struggling again Muhlyssa 3 534 05-26-2023, 02:15 PM
Last Post: Muhlyssa

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.