Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Cpap machines to clean or wash by hand.
Cpap machines to clean or wash by hand.
What is better. To wash your Cpap mask and hose, or use a Cpap machine to wash the mask, and hose without water?

cfcooney
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cpap machines to clean or wash by hand.
I use a wipe to clean the mask and wash it every week, same with hose.
I just use soapy water then leave them to dry, hanging up the hose.
HEATED HOSES CAUTION:  If you have one of these you do not want to get water into the connections.
Material masks I think need washed more often, so I am told anyway.
All I use is the soap you wash dishes in.
Lemon gives the mask a nice fresh smell, though some brands can be a bit strong.
You also need to keep your filter on the machine clean, some can be washed, others just replace when dirty.
The humidifier bottle I just wash every week.
I found that if I fill it and leave it full it lasts longer and stays cleaner.
But I do leave it in a cool place.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
There are many different approaches to washing our gear, but the general consensus here is that machines which use ozone ("activated oxygen") are ineffective, potentially detrimental and a waste of money. The procedure Sleep2Snore describes is perhaps as good as any, though I personally include a rinse in very hot water between the wash and dry stages.

Sleep2Snore Wrote:HEATED HOSES CAUTION: If you have one of these you do not want to get water into the connections.

I'd never criticise a cautious approach, but my heated hose (including connectors) goes in the sink with everything else. My first one lasted nearly four years and I never had any problem with the electrics.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi cfcooney,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wash my hose, mask, and humidifier tank once a week in warm, mild soapy water. I wipe my machine down with a damp cloth once in a while.
Good luck with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I missed out the rinse as I thought if something was covered in soap you would rinse it to get the soap off!
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Wash/soak in a few drops of Dawn plus very warm but not hot water. Soak about 15-30 min. then rinse thoroughly, drink coffee. Air dry and drink coffee. Hose goes over shower curtain rod to dry. This is for the mask cushion, humidifier tub, and the heated hose. Repeat the process every month or so. Coffee isn't optional, and it's every day. The mask cushion may get wiped down with a damp paper towel between wash cycles. Coffee Bigwink

Dave
lots-o-coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am severely restricted as far as facilities....

I use mask wipes for the mask before I go to bed. I use the same wipe (I can store it i the container) for about 3 days. I got 60 wipes for $.01.

I clean my humidifier tank every day with Seventh Generation disinfecting wipes. (Baby wipes won't disinfect), then I swish it around with tap water, dry it off with a quick-dry camping towel (genius: they're lint free and tiny enough for a CPAP bag), and fill it with distilled water.

When I remember, I hang my hose up.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the info..Now I can make a better decision. Buy a $3.00 bottle of soap, or a$300.00 machine.   Mmmmmmm  hard choice. And I like my coffee black.

cfcooney
Post Reply Post Reply
Smile lots-o-coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2017, 06:34 PM)Sleep2Snore Wrote: I missed out the rinse as I thought if something was covered in soap you would rinse it to get the soap off!

You know what they say about foolproof instructions. Grin I guess that makes me the better fool. Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  hand numbness when using CPAP sleepingbetterinFl 5 114 1 hour ago
Last Post: UnicornRider
  csa machines cexer 1 76 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  [CPAP] Just bought a second hand bilevel, hoping for some help with titration? JohnnyLarueBathrobe 8 281 03-01-2024, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 675 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Airsense 10 Clean And Recondition scowell 5 451 01-14-2024, 08:32 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,289 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Central vs. OA Events: Switching Machines or Tweaking Current CPAP Settings? fjones416 4 499 12-14-2023, 12:28 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.