Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] CPAP or not on short trip?
CPAP or not on short trip?
I was diagnosed with mild to moderate apnea and have been using a CPAP machine for about one month.  The results are pretty good but I think I'm still getting used to it.  Most all events are CA.  I'm planning to be away for a couple of nights and am wondering if there are any recommendations or guidelines on not using the machine for a couple of nights.  Do people usually take them or just leave them at home?  This will be a motorcycle trip so luggage space is limited.  

Since starting CPAP, I only skipped one night and my O2 ring was almost constantly in alarm so I had to take it off.  I was staying at an 8000 feet elevation so am guessing it was really elevation related but don't know.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP or not on short trip?
Your CPAP will really help you at altitude.

That said post your daily charts. You should not be having mostly CA events all the time. You may need a different machine.

Please post redacted sleep 6est reports and note the altitude the posts occured and note your homes altitude also your OSCAR nightly reports
Post Reply Post Reply
I only skipped one night in my 2.5 years, and it was due to forgetting a part when I went on a trip. The next morning I drove to the nearest city to purchase the part (was 1 hr away vs 3 hrs back home). I didnt feel too bad when I woke up, but sure noticed during the drive and for the rest of the day (super tired). Mind you, I originally had "severe" apnea.

An AS-10 plus humidifier, mask, hose, and power supply would indeed be a chore for a bike trip.
They do make mini travel cpaps with basic functions, but good luck finding one these days I suspect.
Post Reply Post Reply
To return to the original question, I vote to take CPAP on the trip. You may well feel poorly without it. I understand it is a motorcycle trip, and space is scarce, so setting the priority is up to you.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not as nearly complaint as I would like to be. Having said that, if only for a few nights, I'd forgo the machine, especially if traveling on a m/c. 

It's been well over a week now for me and no CPAP therapy. I keep telling myself I need to get back on it.  Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
I do not have detailed sleep test reports.  AHI seems to vary from 3 to 9 or so with CAs about 90% of the events.  See history.  All of my Oscar data is at sea level and I have no data at the 8000 foot level.  When I spoke to my respiratory therapist, she though my AHI numbers were fine and that some doctors are OK with anything below 10.  When asked about the high level of CAs she just said they may go down over time so I don't think I'll get much help from there with advice or a different machine.  EPR was at 3 and I reduced to 2.  When I tried to go to 1, it was very uncomfortable.  I thought I would give it more time and try again.  Are there any other recommendations? 

Post Reply Post Reply
If you are seeing desaturations at sea level, at 8000 feet you could go into serious hypoxia. The oxygen content will be reduced by 24%. The machine will increase your oxygen saturation by increasing pressure in your lungs. That increases oxygen transfer.
Post Reply Post Reply
So soon into your therapy, you should be oriented to it as to look for any excuse to use the machine, maybe even reading in the afternoon.  Okay, maybe not to that extent, but the point is that you are young to the CPAP, still getting used to it, and now you're looking for some affirmation to forego the benefits it offers, especially at considerable altitude.  It would not be my orientation to this adventure.  Please take it with you and bask in the security it affords you, even way up there in the clouds.
Post Reply Post Reply
If I only had mild Apnea is maybe forgo using it. But despite the quack info that says I supposedly don't have severe Apnea any longer, if I had a proper machine, I'd not leave it behind. It's going to be my American Express therapy device, don't leave home without it.

But for you, you might get away without it a short time.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Big Gap In Readings - Hours of use too short an4g745 12 540 03-01-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Long story short chronic 5 423 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
  [CPAP] Short Duration Cpap Usage Myeung 3 516 06-27-2023, 06:45 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Random nights of short sleep due to several days mounting to too much sleep? CorruptAlligator 2 701 10-19-2022, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Should I avoid CPAP for short time after tonsillectomy? Labromaniac 10 2,662 06-17-2022, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Labromaniac
  Short tubing for ResMed Air 10 - reduced rainout? morpheus1958 3 973 05-28-2022, 08:36 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  new contec 50F finger probes short lifespan? cathyf 2 651 05-04-2022, 09:48 PM
Last Post: Jeff8356

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.