Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Data Always Inconsistent - AHI's STILL HIGH!
RE: CPAP Data Always Inconsistent - AHI's STILL HIGH!
You offer good advice; when I heard earlier about using a Wedge Pillow I just thought it was the wedge pillow used under your back and neck, which I have and used for years for my GERD.  You say using a "wedge" under the chin helps. By wedge you just mean the cervical collar or a rolled up towel tucked under the chin? I tried the towel and every time I moved or switched sleep positions it just came off and fell away.  I also have a travel pillow that I bought for my granddaughter and she never used so it's a small child sized one and open in the back (or front if being used for travel).  I tried that also and it did not stay in place.  So looking back at my recent charts - where on the data would it indicate if I am experiencing Central Apnea events?  Would that be the periodic breathing, clear airway or in the "breathing not detected" numbers?  I usually awaken at least once during the night, sometimes 2 or 3 times, because all of a sudden I become very aware of that air blowing so hard and fast into my throat and airways that it feels like a pounding in my chest - very uncomfortable feeling.  It makes me panic and I have great difficulty going back to sleep, even while resetting the ramp feature.  I wonder if it's even normal and safe to have that CPAP air blowing into your body night after night and what kind of allergens or bacteria may be going in with it.  I clean my mask on a daily basis and my tubing bi-weekly.  Since I switched from the big full face Simplus mask to the Dream Wear minimal contact full face mask I have been getting a lot more dryness and sores inside my left nostril.  So that's my newest concern - does using CPAP for the benefits even outweigh the possible risks?  I know I sound and have a lot of paranoia about all of this; it just seems like all my life has become lately is "fighting" to just stay alive and breathe. No quality of life at all and I would do anything to feel normal and experience what it's like to get even one night of restful, quality sleep and wake up refreshed!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP Data Always Inconsistent - AHI's STILL HIGH!
where on the data would it indicate if I am experiencing Central Apnea events?  Central Apnea and Clear Airway are the same thing.  Clear Airway is because respiratory effort in not being measured by the CPAP.  CPAP sends a "SONAR" pulse to check for obstructions, no obstructions it is classified as a Clear Airway.  You are not having an issue with Centrals, watch them yes, worry no.

You have a good (bad) number of RERAs which by definition is a series of flow limitations ending in arousal.  Arousals are bad.  These are treated with pressure support or on your machine, more pressure.  

Do an experiment for me,  get a tall glass of water and a straw, now blow bubbles with the straw deeply immersed.  8 inches deep and that is the MAX pressure your machine can produce, 20 cmw, you are at 13.  

So if I understand what you are saying, you are having trouble blowing bubbles in a glass of water.  Leaks can increase the flow rate but the pressure should be very close 13.  Increase your Flex and see if that helps (That is what it is for)

I wonder if it's even normal and safe to have that CPAP air blowing into your body night after night and what kind of allergens or bacteria may be going in with it. 
Your cleaning routine is better than most and that is the key.  As far as allergens or bacteria, that is absolutely no different than you inhale without your CPAP.  On the question of is it normal, Absolutely not, How many "Normal people" use a CPAP every night.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night CPAP + OSCAR data Ostrich 0 23 2 hours ago
Last Post: Ostrich
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 131 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 710 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 149 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 109 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 121 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,435 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.