Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Data reconstruction
Data reconstruction
Hi! I'm new to this forum, even though I've been using my CPAP for more than 3 years, about time I get to talk with fellow sleepyheads Wink

What my challenge is as follows. I got myself another Resmed Airsense 10 a while back, because of a need to move around sometimes. 
I'll be calling my original machine nr. 1 from here on out, and the "new" one nr. 2.

Recently nr. 1 has been giving me some trouble with my nose pillow masks getting stuffed because of moisture, giving me a feeling of not getting enough air. Obviously that feeling comes from inhaling the air I just exhaled, as it does not escape through the mask as it is supposed to. I dry off the "vents" inside the mask and it will be ok for a while, but then it comes back. I tried several approaches in terms of settings, and put the machine on the floor so that the hose is not hanging from above me like it did before, but to now avail. So eventually I ended up turning off the humidifier. That worked, but it hurts my nose, sometimes I suffer bleedings in the morning.  

I have been using nr. 2 sometimes since I bought it, but without an SD card in it. This obviously puts holes in my statistics, but since it's only occasionally I have not been to worried about that. But a couple of days ago I decided to see if nr. 2 might behave differently, since moisture has not really been a big problem in my bedroom over that last couple of years, even with the hose hanging from the ceiling, giving me more freedom to move. So I decided to put the SD card from nr. 1 into the card slot on nr. 2. Noob's mistake of course, as the machine asked me if I wanted to continue using the card, and then gave me a notice that it was preparing the card... I should of course have backed up the data on the card first, but like I said... noob! It also turned out that the nr. 2 machine was behaving in the exact same way, so I guess somehow there must just be more moisture in the air in my bedroom these days for some reason....

Anywho, I have been able to recover data using a recovery tool, but I'm struggling to understand the logic behind the naming of the files I have found. Or rather where to place the files, particularly files that have been restored to recovery folders - not folders with the date as their names. I have quite a few folders named DIR001 to DIR513. Most of these contain files, and most of the files are from on, or two dates. So I guess my question is, should all files with a name corresponding to a certain date be put in a folder that matches that date? Or is it correct to put files from a recording session (noon-to-noon) in a folder matching the date when the session ended, so that I'll have files from the evening before in the same folder as the files matching the name on the folder?

Unfortunately I had not used Oscar or Sleepyhead before I started these things, so I have no backup of my data. As I now realize the SD card only holds data from one year back I'm not sure whether it is possible to recover data from earlier dates, but I see in the recovery data that I have files dating back to February 2019, so maybe if some of you kind people know how to help me, I may be able to reconstruct most of my carrier as a sleepyhead, and get it all into Oscar.

Sorry if this was a messy post, tell me if you need more info or clarification. And have a good nights sleep! Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Data reconstruction
Welcome to the forum stigwest!

I'm not sure if this will help you or not but this is a screen shot of the data from my AS10 SD card:

The folders are yyyymmdd and the files in the folder are yyyymmdd_hhmmss_###.###

Hope this helps...
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Perhaps this doesn't help but you can import data from a directory with Oscar. Import all data and maybe Oscar arranges them regular?
Post Reply Post Reply
@Jeff: Do all of your folders contain only files with names matching the folder?

@Unidee: Yeah, that's true, I didn't think of that. It's absolutely worth a try. I'll give it a go later today and let you know what happens.
Post Reply Post Reply
OSCAR uses the directory names and layout, along with the proper file names to determine the CPAP brand. This determines how and what to import. Trying to import files that are not created by a CPAP will be a lesson in futility.

On a Resmed, within the date folder, there are 2 different files types, an EDF and its corresponding CRC file. You will have one pair with a "_EVE" for the complete night. Each sleep session for the night will have a "_BRP", "_PLD", and "_SAD" file, along with each of their CRC checksum files. If your recovered files are just sequentially numbered, then technically speaking, you're toast.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2022, 01:02 PM)unidee Wrote: Perhaps this doesn't help but you can import data from a directory with Oscar. Import all data and maybe Oscar arranges them regular?

It turns out Oscar does not import anything at all when just pointing it to a folder. That must have something to do with the pop-up reminder that you need to point it to the root folder or drive letter of an SD card, combined with the fact that i do not have the data that was originally contained in that root folder. I'll try and see if I can recover more files to put in that folder, but this is getting a bit worrying, it might be that I actually lost all my data. 

I see now though that I did actually have the sense to open the SD card in Oscar and import the data that was there, before the switchover, meaning I do have data for one year back, in my profile. Dunno what will happen if I succeed in recovering the data though, maybe things will get lost if I merge them into the existing profile. Guess I'll start with a dummy profile and see what can be done...

(01-27-2022, 07:43 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: OSCAR uses the directory names and layout, along with the proper file names to determine the CPAP brand.   This determines how and what to import.  Trying to import files that are not created by a CPAP will be a lesson in futility.  

On a Resmed, within the date folder, there are 2 different files types, an EDF and its corresponding CRC file.   You will have one pair with a "_EVE" for the complete night.  Each sleep session for the night will have a "_BRP", "_PLD", and "_SAD" file, along with each of their CRC checksum files.   If your recovered files are just sequentially numbered, then technically speaking, you're toast.

Thanks for your reply! My files do look ok in terms of naming, it's just that they are confusing me because they seem to stretch over two folders some times, like this below example;

Moderator Note: Corrupted Image Removed.

So should the 20200410 files be in the 20200410 folder and the rest be in the 20200409 folder, or is it correct that they share folder?
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-27-2022, 07:50 AM)stigwest Wrote: It turns out Oscar does not import anything at all when just pointing it to a folder. That must have something to do with the pop-up reminder that you need to point it to the root folder or drive letter of an SD card, combined with the fact that i do not have the data that was originally contained in that root folder. I'll try and see if I can recover more files to put in that folder, but this is getting a bit worrying, it might be that I actually lost all my data. 

I see now though that I did actually have the sense to open the SD card in Oscar and import the data that was there, before the switchover, meaning I do have data for one year back, in my profile. Dunno what will happen if I succeed in recovering the data though, maybe things will get lost if I merge them into the existing profile. Guess I'll start with a dummy profile and see what can be done...

Thanks for your reply! My files do look ok in terms of naming, it's just that they are confusing me because they seem to stretch over two folders some times, like this below example;

So should the 20200410 files be in the 20200410 folder and the rest be in the 20200409 folder, or is it correct that they share folder?
Post Reply Post Reply
Days run from noon to noon in ResMed, so your example list would all be together in one folder.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-27-2022, 09:49 AM)GuyScharf Wrote: Days run from noon to noon in ResMed, so your example list would all be together in one folder.

Well that's what confuses me. Noon to noon would mean from one date to the next. All together in one folder - by that do you mean all files from noon one day to noon the next day should be together in one folder, i.e. the contents of my example folder is correct - or do you mean that all files with the same date stamp should all be together in one folder?
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-27-2022, 07:50 AM)stigwest Wrote: It turns out Oscar does not import anything at all when just pointing it to a folder. That must have something to do with the pop-up reminder that you need to point it to the root folder or drive letter of an SD card, combined with the fact that i do not have the data that was originally contained in that root folder. I'll try and see if I can recover more files to put in that folder, but this is getting a bit worrying, it might be that I actually lost all my data. 

Moderator Note: Corrupted Image Removed.

Yesterday, after copying the contents of the root catalog to a folder containing a DATALOG folder, I put one folder from my recovery data in the DATALOG folder, and it actually got imported. But then when I put one more folder in there, OSCAR did not import anything more, so I guess I'll have to delete the test profile I made, make a new one, and import my recovery data all together at once? Or is there some method in the program to make an incremental import of data, that would fetch data from new folders I put into DATALOG?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CT Angiography - 3D Airway view reconstruction fotjon 2 414 09-15-2023, 10:10 AM
Last Post: fotjon
  Doctor says perfect data, but extremely tired - OSCAR Data Auzzyrocks 13 2,683 12-04-2022, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Lucid
Question [Pressure] Doctor can't see detailed data - Can my OSCAR data save me from another sleep study? KidCharlamagne 5 920 09-28-2022, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [CPAP] Data showing clear airway apneas: central apnea or soft palate collapse? Data inc. JamesD0079 0 812 03-21-2022, 07:50 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  Dreamstation CPAP vs Aircurve BiPap data? Data over time for Insp/Exp? Desiree 12 2,323 05-20-2020, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  IF I insert an SD card to get data for Sleepyhead will my ResMed still send data theMezz 3 2,092 04-20-2018, 07:52 PM
Last Post: theMezz
  Data viewer for 960 BiPAP AutoSV / Missing data pswartz 5 4,074 10-06-2014, 02:31 PM
Last Post: pswartz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.