Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Side Sleeping Position Help
Side Sleeping Position Help
Hi,
I'm new to this forum!

I am awaiting to do a sleep study in 2 weeks. I believe I have sleep apnea my whole life. I never feel refreshed sleeping and am told am a huge snorer.

I am turning 30 in June and am always wondering what my life would've been like had I had bountiful energy from restful sleep.

Anyway, I read that sleeping on your side can help with sleep apnea. I tried sleeping on my side last night and although felt like I was breathing easier, I still felt tired waking up. I didn't feel comfortable sleeping on my side which probably caused me restless sleep.

My question is, does it take time getting used to sleeping on your side?

I only tried it one time, but maybe I need to keep doing it until my body gets used to it since I am so used to sleeping on my back.

Thank you guys! Well wishes and sweet dreams!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Side Sleeping Position Help
Hi rara200284,
You will probably have less apnea events if you can sleep on your side, but if you are a back sleeper, then try to elevate the head of your bed so you are not laying flat.

When I was waiting for my sleep study, I sometimes slept in a recliner because I couldn't lay flat.

In the meantime, learn all you can about machine and mask choices so that you don't end up with something you do not want. Providers/DME's will tend to give you their older machines that are not data capable.

Good luck and let us know how sleep study goes.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi rara200284

Welcome

It will take time to get used to doing something you haven't been doing for 30 years. As OpalRose said it seems to most people that respiratory events are less when you sleep on your side. For me my AHI was 66.2 supine and only 41.2 in non-supine at my sleep study. I wish I could always sleep on my side but my joints get to hurting after awhile and I have to roll into a different position.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi rara200284,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It would be better if you could sleep on your side, as sleeping on your back can make apnea worse.
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you.
Good luck to you at your sleep study in a couple weeks..
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Your life will be changing once you are on therapy. There is much to learn and changes in your life to make( like sleeping on your side).

You will probably have less apneas sleeping on your side now but without therapy your sleep quality is probably low.

Some people have success sleeping inclined. I would love to sleep on my back but even with therapy my events get high. I am forced to sleep on my side but with sore joints and arthritis I switch from one side to the other which disrupts my sleep.

One major thing for success is to pick the right mask. I was fortunate to have a store that gave me a 30 day trial. If I did not like one, I could switch it with another. I probably tried 6 different masks. What works for one person may not work for you.

Keep coming back to the site for ideas and help.

Brad
Post Reply Post Reply
It's good you're getting the sleep study. What you may find is that once you start treatment the energy may take a bit of time to return. Best of luck on your journey.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 5 352 37 minutes ago
Last Post: stevew168
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 8 880 3 hours ago
Last Post: stevew168
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 150 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 205 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Earplugs for side sleepers? cps22 13 258 03-07-2024, 09:53 AM
Last Post: cps22
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 18 651 03-06-2024, 02:02 PM
Last Post: rltarbu
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 185 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.