Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Day 1 of a "new normal"
Day 1 of a "new normal"
Hello Folks, so happy I found this board; just signed up today! Hopefully, I'm in the right area. Recently diagnosed with severe OSA (43 AHI). Had the two studies and just recieved my ResMEd S9 Escape w/humidifier yesterday. Used it for the very first time last night and slept for 7 hours. No issues except maybe a slight irritation on the bridge of my nose but honestly, the way I felt upon awakening....holy cow, what a difference! No "fogginess or any of the things I used to experience; hope it continues! As far as the bridge of my nose, I think I can adjust the mask to lesson that very, very minor annoyance.

Anyway, so happy to be here to share experiences and to hopefully, help people along the way!

Have a great weekend everyone!!
A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures....
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Day 1 of a "new normal"
Welcome to the forum Stargazer,

Wow! ... Congratulations on your first night of CPAP and a successful night at that!!! Most of us don't take to it or feel the benefits of it so soon. Sometimes having the mask too tight will cause irritation. Loosening it a little may help but don't do it so much it causes leaks.

Good luck with your continuing therapy. If you have problems of any kind, just ask. We have a large membership and many individuals with a lot of experience, knowledge, advice to offer.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum. Yes, you posted in the right place.
Glad you had a good first night.
You might have to try another mask at some point. It's unusual to find the right one on the first try.
My FFM has an adjustment knob that moves the top of the mask cushion toward or away from the nose bridge.
You'll find everyone has a mask suggestion; but, only you can find the one that is most comfortable for you.

Happy papping.

By your chosen handle, I assume you are interested in astronomy.
Looking forward to the Full Lunar Eclipse on the 15th?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Stargazer,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's great to hear that your first night on CPAP went so well. You have a good attitude and that goes along way toward your new normal.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-11-2014, 11:47 AM)justMongo Wrote: Welcome to the forum. Yes, you posted in the right place.
Glad you had a good first night.
You might have to try another mask at some point. It's unusual to find the right one on the first try.
My FFM has an adjustment knob that moves the top of the mask cushion toward or away from the nose bridge.
You'll find everyone has a mask suggestion; but, only you can find the one that is most comfortable for you.

Happy papping.

By your chosen handle, I assume you are interested in astronomy.
Looking forward to the Full Lunar Eclipse on the 15th?

LOVE Astronomy! Can't wait for the FLE even though it peaks at about 3 AM! No worries though because if today is any indication of energy levels, I will be miles ahead of where I would have normally been with only a few hours of sleep! THank you and everyone that has responded so far; great group of people it seems.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Everyone, thank you all for being so welcoming. Appreciate the mask tips as well. I think I DO actually have a knob that adjusts to loosen its grip on my bridge area. Hopefully, I won't have to change masks but hey, so far it sounds as though I've been quite lucky with my very early results. If I need a new mask someday, oh well. A small price to pay for feeling alive again. Hope to chat with you all again and can't wait until I can respond and maybe help some folks out down the line.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interestingly enough, one downside I have found from CPAP therapy is that I am significantly less tolerant of getting to bed late or even pulling all-nighters. It used to be no big deal, probably because my "sleep" was very poor quality anyway (my untreated AHI was over 100), but now it is an issue.

On the other hand, falling asleep at my desk in the afternoon, which used to be a common occurrence, now no longer happens. Even ignoring all of the other medical side-effects, I think it's a good deal.

Speaking of Astronomy, ever heard of the MOST satellite? PM me if you have.
Post Reply Post Reply
Stargazer,

Welcome to the forum.

I am currently using a Mirage Quattro mask. I would recommend that you use the fitting instructions that came with the mask if you have not already. The whole thing looks very simple but it can be far from that. When you try it with the machine on to check for leaks make sure that you are at your prescribed pressure with the ramp feature turned off. Once you have any leaks corrected use the screw adjustment for the nosepiece to slowly back the nosepiece off until it just begins to leak at the nosepiece. Then slowly re-tighten until the leak quits. If this does not take care of there are mask liners that can be used. The Padacheek liner has extra cushioning in the nose bridge area and the liner will keep the mask cushion away from your skin if there is a sensitivity. The last option involves trimming but let us provide the exact directions for you. Do not trim the very flexible seal material. Let us know if you need to go that far and we will find the directions for you.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
yesterday. Used it for the very first time last night and slept for 7 hours. No issues except maybe a slight irritation on the bridge of my nose but honestly, the way I felt upon awakening....holy cow, what a difference! No "fogginess or any of the things I used to experience; hope it continues! As far as the bridge of my nose, I think I can adjust the mask to lesson that very, very minor annoyance.

Welcome to the Forum Stargazer . Glad to hear first night made a huge difference in how you feel and should help encourage you to continue on your new journey with CPAP . We're here to help answer questions that will come up on the way . As you have already found out the mask is half the battle . I was like you , from the first morning on cpap I woke up with a clear head and full of energy I knew that being a hosehead was part of my life , I now enjoy going to bed . Just remember you will have ups and downs . Some work at it for weeks or months and never get comfortable with it . Keep us in the loop on how your doing . Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-11-2014, 11:24 AM)Stargazer Wrote: Hello Folks, so happy I found this board; just signed up today! Hopefully, I'm in the right area. Recently diagnosed with severe OSA (43 AHI).
Had the two studies and just recieved my ResMEd S9 Escape w/humidifier yesterday.
FYI, the Escape models are not data capable machines, does not record AHI, leak information or anything useful on the machine or on the SD card other than usage hours which might be okay for the DME/insurance compliance but not okay for you and your doctor, both of you cannot tell how AHI on PAP compare to the sleep study AHI. Talk to your DME and the doc to replace the machine with S9 AutoSet, month or a year from now, you,ll be glad, strike while the iron is hot

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which is the most normal waveform? SingleH 9 212 03-26-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 421 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  erratic flow rate graph on ASV normal? jaredihnen 2 255 01-24-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: jaredihnen
  Frequent hiccups in flow rate. Normal? JulieK 19 1,695 11-28-2023, 11:56 PM
Last Post: PunchIt
  Is this normal - no breath for over a minute? Pizzafoundry 12 848 10-16-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: Pizzafoundry
  [CPAP] Airsense P11 hose-dry function ends with loud burst - normal? jharuni 5 726 10-13-2023, 10:20 AM
Last Post: jharuni
  Normal for exhale peaks to be much greater than inhale peaks? stony82 4 538 09-20-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: stony82

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.