Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Dealing with Dry Mouth
RE: Dealing with Dry Mouth
Certainly not the most encouraging answer, but I just learned to live with it (dry mouth). Being a mouth breather and using a FFM for years, it's the only way I have been able to adapt to CPAP. I would rather have dry mouth than not be on my machine. The benefits of CPAP far outweigh the unpleasantness of a dry mouth.
For me, I just keep a cup of water on the nightstand, and take a sip or two overnight as I always get up to use the bathroom at least once. You really can get used to it.
To err is human, but to really mess things up, you need a computer.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-05-2014, 06:17 PM)woozie38 Wrote: Hi Norm, after six years of nasal pillows, chin strap and mouth taping, I have resorted to a FFM to remedy mouth leaks, or to be more exact, therapy air exhausting via mouth. I found with APAP the air pressure would increase enough to blow the tape away allowing the air to gush out drying out my mouth and waking me. The FFM, I found didn't solve the issue completely but is way better. With my FFM I use a chin strap. I still have leaks, but little or no dry mouth. Hope this helps.

Thanks Geoff. In my case the Full Face Mask made the dry mouth even worse for some reason. After trying several different configurations I have returned to the nasal mask and put up with some dry mouth. Usually ends up with waking once or twice to rinse, then back to sleep. Still doing way better than before CPAP.

Norm

Post Reply Post Reply
I have dry mouth with my FFM, and my solution is to use a large double-walled mug that has a cover and a straw. I fill it half full of water, and whenever I wake with dry mouth I pop the connector off the mask and take one or two small sips. Then when I wake up in the morning I have water at the ready and at this point I can drink the whole glass down if I want. I have tried to keep the middle of the night sips small and to a minimum to reduce bathroom trips, and so far it's worked. These days my mouth is not so dry, and I don't know if that's because I've gotten used to CPAP since starting in Feb. 2014, or if maybe I've subconsciously trained my mouth to stay closed, which reduces the dryness.
Post Reply Post Reply
I started having some dry mouth issues with a nasal pillow mask and no chinstrap, first thing is biotene, it helps. Next, sit up in bed, put on the mask, turn on the system, open your mouth, feel the air rush through, now practice where your tongue and mouth must be for it to stop. I can now open my mouth fully and have no mouth leaks, practice this a few times or as many times as you need, once you find the right position keep your mouth that way when you go to sleep and see if that helps you keep it that way. It seemed to just be a training process for me.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the further information. I'll keep some water handy, DNB128, and try doing some oral calisthenics, Galactus. :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
Perhaps look at buying one of the dry mouth mouthwashes. In Australia there's a dry mouth mouthwash called Biotene. I use it and it really helps before and after a night of snoring.
Post Reply Post Reply
With my F&P Simplus full face mask I use homemade mask liners. I only cut the
hole big enough for my nostrils to poke thru. That way my mouth is covered. I have no dry mouth issues.
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-07-2014, 08:17 AM)Stroppy Wrote: Perhaps look at buying one of the dry mouth mouthwashes. In Australia there's a dry mouth mouthwash called Biotene. I use it and it really helps before and after a night of snoring.

Thanks Stroppy. I'm using the Biotene gel, but haven't found the mouthwash here. The gel is somewhat helpful, I think.

Post Reply Post Reply
I mentioned biotene as well (not that it matters who mentioned it) it works very well. If you need someone to send you a bottle PM me, we do international shipping almost daily and I'd be happy to assist you.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a lot of dry mouth problems and finally found that if I dial the humidity way up till rains out in the hose (think warm muggy swamp!)
Then I use a hypernite heated hose to keep the water from collecting in it and waking me up with the stupid gurgling.

I had to get used to breathing really humid air and take more time to dry everything out each day but it works like a charm!

Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 39 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 383 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 318 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 241 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,081 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 810 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,168 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.