Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Dealing with Dry Mouth
RE: Dealing with Dry Mouth
(08-05-2014, 06:17 PM)woozie38 Wrote:
(05-31-2014, 10:27 PM)normhamilton Wrote: I am wakened during the night with dry mouth, regardless of what configuration of equipment I use. Apparently this is because my mouth opens. I've tried a chin strap with the nasal pillow, but still had issues as the strap would fail and my mouth would fall open (I'm guessing)
Anybody have any experience or suggestions for this.
Hi Norm, after six years of nasal pillows, chin strap and mouth taping, I have resorted to a FFM to remedy mouth leaks, or to be more exact, therapy air exhausting via mouth. I found with APAP the air pressure would increase enough to blow the tape away allowing the air to gush out drying out my mouth and waking me. The FFM I found, didn't solve the issue completely but is way better. With my FFM I use a chin strap. I still have leaks, but little or no dry mouth.
There's a lot on this forum about hydration & relative humidity & their relationship to dry mouth. When we go to bed, under the covers, RH drops way down below the ambient. Surprising but true. This contributes to bodily dehydration with accompanying dry mouth. However body temperature (heat) remains constant all night. Below is a graph from my data logger showing this. Hope this helps.
[Image: tn_dl_6_8_14.png]

Wow Geoff, that is amazing to me. Completely counter to what I would have expected. Thanks for sharing that. I still have not figured out what makes the reduction in RH happen.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dealing with Dry Mouth
(08-26-2014, 02:07 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Wow Geoff, that is amazing to me. Completely counter to what I would have expected. Thanks for sharing that. I still have not figured out what makes the reduction in RH happen.
PaytonA
This result is not an aberration either. I have done this experiment several times and the results are more or less the same. I think it's possible that when we sleep under covers, we isolate our bodies from the ambient RH and establish a small eco system of our own. Since we are at rest, we don't perspire unless overheating, (too many blankets) so I'm guessing that's the reason. Based on this assumption, I would say that if RH doesn't drop during sleep, it's possible the sleeper is overheating. My conviction is, overheating is a precursor to SA & that's what I was trying to prove with this experiment.
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 36 Today, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 380 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 318 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 235 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,081 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 807 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,166 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.