Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Two basic questions from a newbie
Question 
Two basic questions from a newbie
Hi, just starting with my CPAP treatment. My brain is flooded by question marks...

Here are two you could maybe help me with:

- About flow rate charts interpretation in OSCAR, Is it correct that negative values are inhalations and positive are exhalations ? Is there a defined metric in medical practice which categorize specific breath signatures?

- Is there a CPAP setting, for instance with an airsense 10, that more or less mimics no CPAP sleep ? I feel it  would be nice to have a 'baseline' dateset to compare against.

Thanks!

edit:  didn't finish my title before hitting the button, sorry.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Two basic questions from a newbie
Not really - any machine has a min pressure of 4.  So you would be getting so therapy and a baseline would need to be 0 pressure.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Two basic questions from a newbie
minimax  - You have the flow rate graph values backwards.  Positive values (above the "Zero" line) = Inhale; Negative values (below the "Zero" line) = Exhale.  If you right-click on the Flow Rate's title in the Daily screen, select Dotted Lines and then select Zero, will display a line along the zero the dividing line.  This marks where the flow direction reverses.

As staceyburke stated, the lowest a CPAP can go in pressure is 4 cm.  There isn't a way of using it to test for non-CPAP use of apnea.  However, most adults require a minimum pressure of around 7 cm to not feel air starved, a setting of 4 cm might show some of your apnea, but would still offer some aid.  

I took this out of the order you asked the questions, since it is a graph. Here are the different type of breath signatures:
[Image: Flow_limitation_images_zpsdb148d1f.jpg]

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Surgery questions sarahsleeps 6 112 8 hours ago
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  EPR questions juniper 1 85 Yesterday, 10:20 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 103 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Newbie Here Tulipdi 4 182 04-02-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Tulipdi
Question [Equipment] Airsense 11 Questions tblaster 2 143 04-02-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: tblaster
  Do my OSCAR charts and figures look okay (newbie)? Jade98 4 160 04-02-2024, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 241 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.