Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Deep Cycle Battery
Deep Cycle Battery
I am going camping for a week and want to know what type of deep cycle battery I should buy for a Resmed Airsense 10. I will not have much access to electricity, so I need one that will last as long as possible. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Deep Cycle Battery
What kind of travel is this? Lower priced batteries are heavy. Lightweight lithium batteries are expensive and have other drawbacks. Your machine is 24 volts and requires an adapter to use a 12 volt battery. Take a look at the possibly related threads under this post, your answer may be in an existing thread.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Since you have a machine that uses 24 volts you can wire two 12 volt batteries in parallel for 24 volts. Thats a great option since you wont require an inverter that would cut out at when your battery falls below 11.7 volts for a 12 volt battery and converting back to dc would be a waste. If your machine has a heated humidifier you may need to contact the manufacture for power requirnments at your humidity setting to determine battery size.

If no humdification you could buy any two deep cycles and wire in parallel and they would last a week.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the same machine. Using ResMed's battery guide I determined that to run my machine for 8 hrs I needed a 49ah battery. This takes into account that you dont run these below 50%. So to run it two nights I wanted a 100+ ah battery. I'm buying the battery below. That will run it for a bit over 16 hours with the humidifier and heated hose on.

ResMed battery Guide:
http://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/a...lo_eng.pdf

Battery
[commercial link removed per Apnea Board rules]

You will also need this DC converter:

I'd recommend putting it in a battery box for safety:

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section. As a suggestion, you may wish to tell members to "Google Product X" to get them to your product selection without posting a direct commercial link.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-28-2015, 01:45 PM)jingo Wrote: Since you have a machine that uses 24 volts you can wire two 12 volt batteries in parallel for 24 volts.

NO YOU CAN'T!!!!!

The ResMed S9 and A10 machines will only work if connected to their own AC power supply or their overpriced DC-DC converter. There are extra wires apart from the power wires and the machine will refuse to work if it doesn't see the signals it wants on these other wires.

If you want to work on DC power, you'll need an inverter and the AC supply or the separate DC-DC converter. Note that S9 and A10 machines use different DC converters. The DC converters will run off of 12 or 24V, but there's not a real advantage to 24V.

BTW, ResMed says you can run the S9 off of an inverter, but doesn't say that for A10 machines. They don't specifically forbid inverters, but the document that mentions inverters for S9 machines only lists the DC converter for A10 machines.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Archangle,

Please don't consider me confrontational. I have a amount of experience with electronics both as a professional and a lifetime hobby. The quality and features of the ResMed DC-DC converter make it worth the cost. I paid less than $100 shipped. I use it full time with an AGM battery and a BatteryTender. The power goes off briefly several times a month where I live. The power went off a couple of nights ago. Now that I have this backup system I am not forced to wake up and turn my A10 back on. From my initial experimentation, the battery should run my setup at least two nights without a recharge. The ResMed DC-DC converter is more efficient than a home brew system I was designing. It is also has a battery protection circuit that is very useful.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Jeff
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, 2 12-volt would need to be in Series for 24 volts Wink The ResMed DC-DC converter will run off 12 or 24 volts. so either setup would work; just gotta know what the voltage is to set the converter correctly.
Post Reply Post Reply
@ foss --- Well, you did say you would wire two 12V batteries in _parallel_ to get 24V.... I'm sure you meant to write _series_...

I think that is what he was shouting about :-)

Phil, who knows which end of a soldering iron to grab... :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi shahn,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 6 73 9 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 99 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,326 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,815 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  Average AHI vs deep sleep stage AHI question BezDuh 4 585 01-24-2024, 12:08 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 248 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex
Question [Equipment] Proprietary Dreamstation Battery Cables? NorthernGuy 25 11,437 01-19-2024, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Pastrywagon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.